For almost 20 years I have been meeting a friend for coffee nearly every week. I met "Jim" as a result of using the Tri-Ess members address book and "snail-mail" (BI time; Before Internet).

When we first started meeting we were both drab (Jim never goes out en femme). We were meeting at a coffee and bagels place. I was quite nervous about people over hearing our conversations when we talked about cross dressing After some months I decided that I wanted to meet while en femme. Gradually I became much more comfortable presenting as a woman.

Later we started meeting at a local mall as we could sit and visit in the atrium for as long as we wanted to and people watch. One day Jim said that his wife ("Jan") wanted to do some shopping at the mall while we visited. She told him she would call him when she was finished shopping. Instead she just came to where we were sitting and joined us. Since then she has often joined us after shopping or having had her nails done. I have also visited them at their home.

For the past 2 or 3 years Jim and I have often met a strip mall where there is a coffee shop that we both like. Last week Jim asked if we could meet at the larger mall as Jan wanted do some shopping with their granddaughter whom I had never met. I asked Jim if Jan would be OK with me meeting their granddaughter. Jim assured me that it would not be a problem as I was often mentioned in their family and they all knew that I would be en femme. This was a surprise to me!

I am happy to say that all went well when I met them at the mall. At no time during our conversations did anyone give any indication of being uncomfortable. I have spent so much time in many public situations presenting as a woman that I am totally comfortable doing so. It was another enjoyable event.