Thread: The security tag dilemma

The security tag dilemma

Leslies post reminded me of a similar incident I had. I bought a really cute dress at Dressbarn, and I must have left the store without realizing that the security tag had not been removed. Weeks later, I was getting ready to wear that dress out when I noticed the security tag was still attached. It was the kind that you can't remove without the special tool.

So, I took it back to (a different) Dressbarn and told the SA that I had bought it and they hadn't removed the security tag. The SA said that as a matter of policy, they wouldn't remove the tag unless I had the purchase receipt. I didn't have it. I told her where I had bought it and pleaded with her to remove the tag, but she still wouldn't.

Then I remembered the names of the two SAs who helped me with my purchases that day. The SA called up the store and confirmed with the manager that both SAs worked there, and she removed the security tag.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I bought a load of clothes at auction. When I got home I realized many had those heavy plastic security devices attached!

It is VERY DIFFICULT to get them off without damaging the clothing! But, I did!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Banned Read only
    I had a similar situation with an ebay purchase. I did try to gently remove the ink leaking security device from a dress. It did not work out as planned. So much for "Googling" instructions. I contacted the seller and asked where he was getting his merchandise. I suspected he was getting some garments from shoplifters. He gave me a full refund. There are many news stories of shoplifters or fences off loading stolen garments on ebay. Those security devices are somewhat interesting. My local Fred Meyer has security devices hidden in some of the more costly meat trays. They are desensitized if you go through a regular check out line, but, not all the time through self checkout.

I've been told that some of these tags have a dye inside so if someone attempts to remove one by simply breaking it they and the garment get inked.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    A rare earth magnet will work I have been told.
    A rare earth magnet will unlock a safe too.

Platinum Member
    Hi Steffi , When that happens to me I just take a small pencil soldering iron and melt the back
    of the locking part and carefully release the holding piece and no damage to the item.

You can get the pencil soldering iron @ WAL*MART or HARBOR FREIGHT for about $4.00. >Orchid .oOOo.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Hi Steffi,

I'm surprised you hav that much trouble. When I've had that problem and have tossed the receipt I will typically leave the item in my car and go in and explain that I would like to return or have the security tag removed from said item before I bring it in and I haven't had a problem yet.

That happened to me once messed up a nice trying to take it off myself.
    Angie

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    A rare earth magnet will work I have been told.
    A rare earth magnet will unlock a safe too.
    I think that's the Alchemist stone.
    My Freddy's just waves people on through the exit when the tag causes a beep. Either folks around here are very honest, the clerks are lazy, or no one got around to issuing them the removal devices. I prefer to think the former.
    Last edited by donnalee; 10-29-2019 at 11:37 PM.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

Banned Spammer
    The device the store uses is magnetic.No magic just magnetism.
    This is basically how it works.
    There is a cup a spring and ball bearings inside that hold it on the magnet pulls the cup up and releases the ball bearings.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 10-30-2019 at 09:54 AM.

I still wouldn’t have done it sorry. It’s real easy to get an associates name before you steal something. The lesson here is always keep your receipt.

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    Yes Tracii, all it takes is a strong magnet. I assume Dressbarn probably uses the same tags that Lane Bryant does, so if that happens again, just use a strong magnet and it should separate easily, Steffi.
    Life is too short to be boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    The device the store uses is magnetic.No magic just magnetism.
    This is basically how it works.
    There is a cup a spring and ball bearings inside that hold it on the magnet pulls the cup up and releases the ball bearings.
    Actually, that's pretty helpful. I usually employ metal fatigue, but this is much faster.
    Thanks.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Nope, it didn't work that easily for me, Tracii. And, I watched a similar Google video!

The pin DID pull part way out. But, then I had to carefully use a bar to force it all the way out!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Banned Spammer
    Some use the two fork method as well.
    I have never come home with a security tag so I have never had to remove one.

Ive used a tiny die grinder, but molten plastic sucks

Pretty in Pink

I was in a situation where the store had changed the type of security tag. I found a nice full skirt on the sale rail which fitted well and my wife liked me in it, but being a sale item it had somehow been overlooked when the security tags system was changed. The store did not have a device to remove the tag. We both expressed our disappointment that we could not complete the purchase, so the SA and manager took the skirt out back to try and remove the tag which was located in a fold under the waistband. They succeeded but caused a small hole which was not visible due to the folds. So they offered us the skirt for a nominal amount, because they could not give it away and it would have to be binned. I still have the skirt 10 or more years later, wear it quite frequently and often look for the hole, which I struggle to find. In fact it is less noticeable than the marks often left in some fabrics by security tags which have been correctly removed.
    Rachel,

As a crossdresser my personality has several facets. Therefore, I suppose I can be forgiven for being facetious.