Thread: Did finasteride start my dressing desires late in life?

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Question Did finasteride start my dressing desires late in life?

For those that know me? I began dressing out of the blue at age 50+. At just about the same time I was put on finasteride and proscar for my prostate enlargement. That was almost 23 years ago. I began fantasizing of having breasts and becoming female. And, began dressing.
    After 12 years and 2 years of being a cd.com member, I discovered I'm simply a CD.

But, I've never figured out why I suddenly had gender issues in my 50's? Because I had so many opportunities to wear girl friends and my wife's clothes in the previous 20+ years. But, the idea to try on their clothes had never entered my mind before!

I wondered if any others have used finasteride or began dressing late in life?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I hear that medication can cause some breast growth,maybe in you it triggered estrogen in your system.

FWIW

I was on Finasteride for a while (pre surgery). It did help a little with the prostate problem, but only postponed things a year or so.
    When Things started 'clogging up' again, I asked if they could increase the dosage, only to be told I was already at the max.

Frankly - I didn't notice any difference at all - with 'enhanced femininity' in either body or mind, that is. Too bad. I would have welcomed it.

Hi Sherry,

I have had a desire to dress my whole life. I have always been able to control and suppress it. At 46 my doc put me on Avodart for prostate issues. By the time I turned 50, I felt the need to crossdress getting stronger. At 51ish, the insurance company switched me over to Finesteride. By 56 I could not control my desire to dress. I can't say for sure if the t-blockers had anything to do with this.
    - Robin

Because life is too short not to.

It's ironic ... I finally found a group of guys I fit in with. Funny how they all enjoy being one of the girls.

Wife: Why do you fold your panties? Me: I don't like my panties in a wad!

Aspiring Member
    Finasteride is a pretty powerful dht blocker. On Male trt forums many people complain that since taking it, their libido tanked, erection quality significantly deteriorated and other problems. Dht is a more androgenic than testosterone by far. Taking finasteride definitely can mess with ur hormones. Whether lower androgenic dht can cause cross dressing is a topic to be explored. However, in my case I have high test and high dht, and I still like to dress

I've been taking Finesteride (not lower dose Propecia) for 12+ years and have been crossdressing for 50+ years. I began taking it, and continue taking it, hoping to reduce hair loss. Results: debatable. My peak desire CDing years were my 40s and early 50s where I was going out fully dressed once or twice a month. This was happening before I started Finesteride. I now happily go out once or twice a year. Correlated? Unlikely. I did not see breast growth side effects either, unfortunately.
    Last edited by Taylor186; 10-07-2019 at 08:04 PM.

Banned Read only
    Sherry,
    The human being is reliant on chemicals to function who can say what effects outside influences have on the the natural process . I know T gave me a huge kick up the rear end when I was 8-9 I'm still living with the fallout .

Something triggered your changes , you may have started in your 50s but who knows if it lay dormant all those years . I can't understand what makes some members wax and wane when I have the need 24/7 , I think I would feel the gaps both annoying and frustrating , the not knowing when it was going to surface again .

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Funny how a medication taken to control a prostate for example works fine for both patients but has a totally different side effect on each person.
    Shows how different we all are in some respects.

Sherry

My best guess is that your T levels dropped to a point where the E became dominant. But, your the "doc", not me.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Silver Member
    I'm 85 and have been on Finesteride for close to 16 years due to an enlarged prostrate. I still have a full head of hair and A cup breasts which I love.

You wouldn't be the first one to make that claim. For example: https://closeronline.co.uk/real-life...-turned-woman/ So, Who knows? But, other than a few anecdotes, there is little evidence that drugs or hormones can cause changes in gender identity or sexual orientation (including so-called paraphilias) that weren't there in the first place. They might affect intensity of libido but no drug is going to turn a vanilla into a foot fetishist or induce AGP. I've never taken any drugs that affect my hormones much so I don't have any direct experience with that. I do have BPH but I just live with it, for now. I don't know how long I can hold off, though.

I didn't CD fully until I was in my late 40's. Before that I would occasionally CD partially or just fantasize about it. I've always had some kind of paraphilic interests, they would just shift around from one thing to another but were related by the common thread of emasculation. The trigger seems to be that I deal with emasculating situations and anxieties in real life by emasculating myself in a controlled way: Femdom, CDing, forced feminization or forced homosexuality fantasies, BDSM, etc. It's a harmless coping mechanism as long as I don't start believing the content of my fantasies. Getting older is emasculating all by itself so that could explain why the desire suddenly became more intense in my late 40's.

I've been on finesteride for nearly 4 years (enlarged prostate) and proscar for nearly a year. I have noticed a decrease in body hair and maybe very slight breast growth (I like both of these results). I've been crossdressing since age 9 or 10 and see an increase in cd desires and a decrease in libeto (probably a function of drugs plus age).

Aspiring Member
    Just some personal observations about myself and an earlier comment I made.

About a year ago I had some very high dht levels and had blood work to prove it. I wore panties all the time and some.leggings my wife bought me. Dressed a bit more in the past but really wasn't thinking about cding.

About 2 months ago I Changed some things about trt I was doing. CD interest greatly increased. Bought some dresses, heels, more panties than I can possibly wear, pantyhose, and started having some, well, different fantasies including being submissive with wife. I'm naturally alpha Male like. Got blood work from that time and dht and test levels dropped a lot.

I recently changed some of my protocol to increase my dht and my submissive fantasies are gone as well as my stronger desire to dress and wear heels. I still am wearing panties 24 7, and leggings/Jeans but not much desire for anything else. Dont have blood work to show dht went up, but pretty sure it did and back to.more alpha Male fantasies.

Coincide? Weather/change of season related?

Or dht related?

I'm thinking dht related.
    Last edited by char GG; 10-07-2019 at 04:30 PM. Reason: TMI

Doc, if you could prove the medication is responsible, it then begs the question: would you sue the company or thank them?

Aspiring Member
    Thousands of lawsuits filed against makers of finasteride for causing libido and other issues. Not much out there about lower dht and cding except for a few scientific papers I dont have access to

I've been taking finasteride for hair loss for several years. It works really well for me. When I started, I had a very slight increase in breast size but it was minor - truly inconsequential. I still use it for my hair and am happy with the results. I have never experienced obvious libido changes. As for the cross-dressing, there has been no effect one way or the other.
    Last edited by char GG; 10-17-2019 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Non prescirbed use of med. This rule: The discussion of non-surgical breast enhancement is prohibited.