Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I may be a woman shopper but I'm not stupid !!

Banned Read only

I may be a woman shopper but I'm not stupid !!

The background to this story is connected with my laptop and printer . I wanted to print some of my latest pictures out to continue an art project . I'm using the Windows10 basic photo editing package , I'm not happy with it because you can make very few corrections for colour balance and image sizing , I wasted some photo paper and ink without getting the results I wanted so I headed off to PC World to check out some photo editing packages . The male SA saw me and suggested my printer really needs to be replaced even though it's just over a year old , he tried to find my details on his computer system to see if I'd signed up for a replacement deal . I kept trying to tell him I needed a better editing package so I could set up my laptop and printer better but he wasn't having any of it , I was definitely being treated like a woman shopper and even worse a supid one at that !!

I have a full version of Photoshop on CD but I dont think it will work in Windows10 besides I did make a mistake when I bought my Lenovo Ideapad because it clearly showed a disc drive but as I found out the illustration was for the US market , the UK version didn't have the drive fitted .

Please I don't want replies telling me how to edit my pictures , I've been doing it for years .

This thread is more about treating women as non-technical imbeciles , I guess I should be flattered as he obviously thought I was a woman !!

So in the end I did what any woman would do under these circumstances , I popped next door and bought some really nice brown ankle boots and a couple of lightweight turtle neck sweaters , at least I'm, ready for the cooler weather !
    Last edited by Teresa; 10-08-2019 at 08:35 AM.

Banned Read only
    I wold try to run Photoshop on Windows 10, even if that means buying a cheap USB CD-ROM. I don't understand why it wouldn't work.

For quick photo edits I just use IrfanView https://www.irfanview.com/, but I an not doing anything special, just cropping or resizing maybe a little color enhancement
    Last edited by Robertacd; 10-08-2019 at 08:36 AM.

Banned Read only
    Roberta,
    It's a very old version something like 2001 era , I know the drives aren't expensive , I should bite the bullet and buy one as I have other programs and files stored on CD. It is frustrating knowing I could have bought my laptop with the drive included and actually paid less for it . It was a replacement item for an Acer laptop which crashed after three weeks from new , I should have asked for my money back but chose the replacement option . I was in a desparate hurry as I had just separated from my wife and needed to get my online banking and many other problems sorted , as we all know life comes to a standstill without online facillities .
    Last edited by Teresa; 10-08-2019 at 08:46 AM.

Your 2001 Photoshop should work on Win10 - sorry about the condescending SA. I use a female character in SL and I used to get treated like I just did not understand how computers work all the time (I am a software engineer in RL). A USB DVD drive would cost $40 USD in the colonies.
    Last edited by bridget thronton; 10-09-2019 at 02:17 AM.

Banned Read only
    Bridget,
    As I say at least he treated me like a woman so it can't be all bad !

The nice SA in PC World showed me drives for about ?20.00 and naturally offered to install it for the dizzy blond for another ?35.00 . The dizzy blond was beginning to think of a less than lady-like reply !!

Sorry there's a problem with formatting , they should be pound signs and not question marks , I believe there is a software problem on the forum .
    Last edited by Teresa; 10-08-2019 at 09:07 AM.

I find that I know more than most SAs. It really doesn't matter what the store or product is.

I offen will let them help me for the fun of it if I have the time. I have even given them like a lesson on whatever they are selling. The one that sticks out is this young girl wanting to help me pick out lipstick. She didn't know anything other than the one she used. She was very sweet so I took the time to explain all the differences between the different products.

Banned Read only
    Jean,
    As far as makeup is concerned I usually keep all my packaging so when I need a replacement I take it with me , otherwise I do get the same treatment on occassions with the SAs . I can honestly say I've only had one who gave me a difficult time but I just accept she was having a bad day and possibly brought her domestic life to work .
    Last edited by Teresa; 10-08-2019 at 10:10 AM.

Welcome to the wonderful world of micro-aggressions. Try being a female shopper of color!

Devils advocate here. Maybe he was giving you his best knowledge. Or he gets a nice commission on that new printer, and didnt care if yours was fine.

Teresa.

I have use the experience the other way to get my items carried out to the car for me.

Sometimes playing stupid can be useful. You learn how bright your sales assistant is.
    Last edited by Shelly Preston; 10-08-2019 at 11:36 AM.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Well Teresa, I?m with you... when there is nothing else to do, what?s a girl to do but go shopping!

Should have told him his clothes are sooo last season

Hi Teresa,

Don't be surprised. Most women are used to being treated like they don't know technical things. Since you are presenting as a woman in the RW, you will have to learn to let these things go.

Teresa the lipstick thing was years ago, before I was out. I had forgot it and was to far from home to go back.

I'm always treated well , really never have any problems. I think it is nice how everyone is always trying to help me.

I think your problem is that software is all sold on line. Even if you were to buy it in a store you would have to go on line and down load it.

They stopped including cd drive's in laptops years ago. You can buy an external one, they aren't expensive.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    It was funny when I went shopping for my Jeep the sales guy found out I had done my home work.
    I knew the specs and what I wanted.
    We went out on the lot to look and he held the door for me which was nice.

Banned Read only
    Shelly,
    I can't argue with that , a young guy in the same store insisted he carried the printer to the car when I bought it .

Jennifer ,
    The point I was making was he chose not to listen to my point about needing software to correct the problem , I really felt he was trying to pull the wool over my eyes but trying to convince me the fault was with the printer .

Jean ,
    I can't say for certain , they had several products in fairly big packaging which I assumed still contained a disc and a manual . Only PS Elements appeared to be a download .

Autogirl ,
    They wear a corporate uniform .

Char,
    It's the first time it's happened , as I say perhaps I should be flattered with what he thought I was .

Pretty much what I was thinking, he wanted to sell equipment, perhaps not much commission on software.

Years ago I went into a popular electronics chain to buy a computer. A salesman walked up and asked if he could help me. I started pointing out computer stuff, monitors, keyboards and the like that I wanted and he started to try sell me some prepackaged system. I just looked at him and said, "I know what I want, you just won't let me in warehouse to pick it out. It will go a lot faster if you just pull the items I am asking for and drop it in my cart!" I was out of there pretty quick!

YOULOVEMYTOES Palaina Nocturnus's Avatar
    Hello Teresa,

I replied in a similar manner about dating men but it fits here as well.

I've noticed some men are respectful and others very much not so. It really seems like those manly men bro dudes think well if you want to look like a woman I'll treat you like one. And that is a WHOLE other disgusting conversation. Some people's children...... smh lol

I can't tell you how many mechanics look me right in the eye when discussing the vehicle and I'll wait until they're almost finished and look right at my girlfriend and say I'm glad you're here my love because I don't understand all of this but you sure do.

Or getting the check for food when my money is direct deposit to her account so we use only one card but they ALWAYS hand me the check. Even en femme I get the check lol and don't get me started on male sales associates lol

This world is a very funny and contradicting place lol
    Live, laugh, love!

Teresa
    That's why I said might be he didmt care, and he might get a commission for selling the printer. If he could convince e you that you needed it at least it shows he sold it. Sure software can fix your problem but this nice shiney new printer is much more expensive and you need it. Looks better when the manager pulls my sales numbers.

If you went in full guy mode, the SA would not of even questioned you more than likely. But you hear about similar experiences from many women, especially in areas that are more male dominated.

And depending on the photo software, it could cost more than printers. I see Adobe Photoshop is now priced on an annual basis, no more just buy the program on a DVD and that's it. Though I hear the free photo processing program GIMP is really good, it's Photoshop-like.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    GIMP is ridiculously complex IMO
    I watched a tutorial several weeks ago on you tube and was completely lost in the first two minutes.
    I'm not stupid by any means and can figure out things pretty easily but holy cats GIMP is way more complex than PS.
    Who cares if its free because if you can't use it why have it?
    Last edited by Tracii G; 10-08-2019 at 06:13 PM.

Ah-May-Lee
    Sounds like a good validation of being a woman. I don't know if validation is the word but you know what I mean.

Now go to the next stage of being a woman and get the product for free by just batting an eye lid. That's what I would have done, I would have played dumb till I got the product for free.
    In solitude where we are least alone. Byron

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    GIMP is ridiculously complex IMO
    I watched a tutorial several weeks ago on you tube and was completely lost in the first two minutes.
    I'm not stupid by any means and can figure out things pretty easily but holy cats GIMP is way more complex than PS.
    Who cares if its free because if you can't use it why have it?
    Keep hearing it being used by astrophotographers that want a cheaper alternative to Photoshop. I have never used it, so I really can't comment on it's user friendliness. My astrophotos have stayed as they were from the camera.

Silver Member
    If your copy of Photoshop is cs6 you are probably able to run it on Windows 10. You can download a 30 day trial of Photoshop. Adobe offers student discounts. So check them out. If you are only doing moderate photo work you may want to look at Photoshop elements.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferMBlack View Post
    Devils advocate here. Maybe he was giving you his best knowledge. Or he gets a nice commission on that new printer, and didnt care if yours was fine.
    A lot of printers have spiffs on them. In todays market printers are a give away because the ink is where the money is.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

I find it in reverse when buying lingerie. I've had to explain sister sizes to SAs. I'm standing there with a bra on and yet they assume I'm unaware of what bra sizes are.

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    So in the end I did what any woman would do under these circumstances , I popped next door and bought some really nice brown ankle boots and a couple of lightweight turtle neck sweaters , at least I'm, ready for the cooler weather !
    I would have gone with this option first, and played the 'poor helpless technologically impaired female' to one of my tech savvy masculine friends and allow him to be the hero of my day.

Knowing my guy friends, they would buy the upgrade package, install it, and buy me dinner. Y'all gotta learn to play your strengths girls!

Yes Teresa, I know you could do it yourself, but there is a certain charm, appeal and definite benefits to letting our men friends beat their chests and be the hero of the hour.

As a GG friend pointed out to me: "Yes, I can change my oil, or change a tire on my car, but, why should I, when there are guys out there willing to be my "White Knight" and do it for me?

It may be slightly mercenary, but... if it works, use it.
    Before you can love another, you must first like yourself

I Aim To Misbehave

Labels belong on BOXES, not PEOPLE!