Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I may be a woman shopper but I'm not stupid !!

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    GIMP is ridiculously complex IMO
    I watched a tutorial several weeks ago on you tube and was completely lost in the first two minutes.
    I'm not stupid by any means and can figure out things pretty easily but holy cats GIMP is way more complex than PS.
    Who cares if its free because if you can't use it why have it?
    GIMP has been around a long time. I agree that it lacks in the user friendly spectrum. It was mostly used by computer savvy (software engineers) to do certain things. You can download the source code and program mods to do special things. I used it to convert images to the correct formats for a project.

I switched to GIMP 2.0 a few months ago because my new iMac wouldn't run the old version of Photoshop I had.
    Yes, it took me a bit of experimenting to figure out some features but basically I found out GIMP had all the tools I was used to using in Photoshop.
    But , full disclosure, I taught advanced Photoshop to high school students for many years so I guess I could be considered not to be just a casual user.

YOULOVEMYTOES Palaina Nocturnus's Avatar
    I love how all the tech advice came out of the wood works lol point missed lol
    Live, laugh, love!

Palaina, that amused me too.

"So in the end I did what any woman would do under these circumstances , I popped next door and bought some really nice brown ankle boots and a couple of lightweight turtle neck sweaters , at least I'm, ready for the cooler weather ! "

Teresa Love it - the best way ever to deal with condescending Male lol.

I had to chuckle when I read this thread, remembering my "non-technical imbecile" moment.

I'd had my (current) laptop for about two years - even using a USB drive a couple times, before discovering that it had a CD/DVD drive in it already! Yes, it was well hidden on the side of the machine, but still ...

Talk about feeling foolish!

(and I used to think I was the tech-smart one in the family)
    Last edited by SaraLin; 10-09-2019 at 06:24 AM. Reason: typo fix

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleDubois View Post
    I switched to GIMP 2.0 a few months ago because my new iMac wouldn't run the old version of Photoshop I had.
    Yes, it took me a bit of experimenting to figure out some features but basically I found out GIMP had all the tools I was used to using in Photoshop.
    But , full disclosure, I taught advanced Photoshop to high school students for many years so I guess I could be considered not to be just a casual user.
    Same here. I took graphic design classes in the late '90s. iMac won't work with my photoshop disc from 1997. Gimp 2 was a huge improvement from the previous version. Doing things like red eye removal are easy once you know how to do it. (just google what you're trying to do) Preview on Mac is also great for basic photo editing.

I've considered buying an old used Mac that would work with my old photoshop version. And I've also seen older macs for sale that have photoshop installed (much newer version than I have). The upgrades to adobe products have been very expensive throughout the years so Gimp works for me.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

I think photopea an online photoshop alternative is closest match I could find that resemble photoshop.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaina Nocturnus View Post
    I love how all the tech advice came out of the wood works lol point missed lol
    Well some of us like helping others even if we're not asked. Specially when it comes to computers. Because the consumer computer market is ripe with scams and bad information.

This thread is a case in point. She went to the store to buy some photo editing software, but they tried to sell her a printer instead.

That's just wrong on so many levels, we can't just stand there and watch.

Banned Read only
    Roberta,
    Don't worry inside the dizzy blond exterior the alarm bells were ringing very early on , the guy thought he'd hooked an easy catch !

While I asked not to go too deep with the software issue I must thank everyone for their input .

SarahLin,
    I must admit I thought I'd got it wrong and kept poking, pushing and breaking nails thinking a little door should open on the laptop, I found a Youtube video showing how to fit an internal drive but it's got to be easier for the same money to use an external drive .

Danielle,
    I take my hat off to you if you can undertstand the depths of PS enough to actually teach it .

Just to return to the problem , I have solved most of the issues , one problem was after not using the printer for some week it needed a double deep head clean . The other is just needing a package to make colour corrections, PS is great for that but my main problem was after doing the work and saving it I could never find where PS had buried it , as for tying all the levels together never did manage to achieve it , the handbook I bought could have been written in gibberish for all the use it was !

I'm sorry, young man. I am not interested in new hardware. Now why don't you go and find someone who knows something about the software you sell.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I know u said u didn't want to hear about your photo program, Teresa. But, I can't agree with your comment, "treated like a woman", because I've been bamboozled by many a salesman because I had no idea about the techie item I wanted to buy. Always in male mode, by the way.

I was devastated a year ago when my Windows 7 computer failed. Along with it's priceless photo editing system! I tried every system available, including a new Windows 10 computer. Nothing came close to the simple, yet exacting, features on my W7 system! Nor could I load that editor into my W10 computer!

I finally replaced the W7 operating system in my computer and could load the W7 editor into it! I'm now able to edit my photos easily and perfectly again. I hope u find YOUR perfect editor, too!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Banned Read only
    Sherry,
    I've never had a problem with repairing computers or sorting software and certainly no problem dealing with SAs over the technical issues so I know if I was in male mode he wouldn't have tried it on , I know the patter he was dealing me and why .

Aunt Kelly ,
    To give him some credit he did tell me not to waste my money on the software packages and suggested giving GIMP a try .

YOULOVEMYTOES Palaina Nocturnus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Robertacd View Post
    Well some of us like helping others even if we're not asked. Specially when it comes to computers. Because the consumer computer market is ripe with scams and bad information.

This thread is a case in point. She went to the store to buy some photo editing software, but they tried to sell her a printer instead.

That's just wrong on so many levels, we can't just stand there and watch.
    Even in the post she says shes not seeking that advice, that's why it's so funny. I'm not trying to start a fight. We're discussing how men treat women yet here we are giving her advice that was specifically declined. I'm still lol so please just laugh with or at me
    Live, laugh, love!

Banned Read only
    Palaina,
    I have no problem with the sidetracking , I was half expecting it .

I mentioned this incident to the ladies in my painting group today, one very good friend said , " Well you are a woman what did you expect !" She then went on to tell me how a woman would twist the situation round to her advantage . I told her I decided to go and buy some ankle boots instead , she replied , " Now you're learning good for you girl !"

Hi

I don?t go out in girl mode, so haven?t experienced exactly
    what you went through. But it happens occasionally anyway
    (obviously in boy mode).
    Depending on how I feel I?ll either let the SA ramble on, thank
    him or her for their time and restate my original request OR
    interrupt them in mid ramble and politely demand to see their
    manager, repeating it in a loud voice if needed (and then
    explaining to the manager what?s going on).

As to photo software ... dxo photolab. It does crop and straighten,
    color/etc, distortion correction, perspective changes, film emulation,
    and so on. It does not do photo editing. (PM me if you want more
    info) (I have no $ interest in the software, I?m just a happy user)

Fran

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaina Nocturnus View Post
    Even in the post she says shes not seeking that advice, that's why it's so funny. I'm not trying to start a fight. We're discussing how men treat women yet here we are giving her advice that was specifically declined. I'm still lol so please just laugh with or at me
    My mother was an expert at giving out unsolicited advice...

Maybe I'm just like my mother...

Silver Member
    I suspect the salesman was on commission and a printer was more expensive (or got a better % on a printer than software.) Why assign to misogyny what is easily explained by self-interest?

I would have returned the laptop when the picture on the box didn't match the contents. Ridiculous that so many computers don't come with an optical drive. A guy I know bought an $8000 gaming PC (yes eight grand!), in a computer case the size of a small refrigerator, and they didn't bother to include a $20 DVD drive. Unbelievable. Many people may not use them daily, but when you need one, they sure are handy!

For what it is worth, I am a male as I have had auto repair places talk down to me and try to pull some shenanigans. An ex girlfriend of mine, however, does know about cars (she knows about everything), and straightened them out quickly.

Aspiring Member
    My daughter tells of a chauvinist who got caught and shamed. When she was a sophomore in college, she went to the Math Tutoring Center for some help with her math homework. When she arrived there, only one other student, a freshman guy, was present. While both of them waited for their tutors to arrive, this freshman guy gave his unsolicited opinion about how poorly women do with math. My daughter said nothing in response, preferring not to argue with a fool. Within an few minutes, the guy?s tutor arrives. They take a seat at the table for pre-algebra. My daughter?s tutor arrives a minute after that. Her table is designated for third semester of calculus. She makes eye contact with the freshman and just grins at him. Red-faced, he had nothing more to say.