Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dresses The Empitome of femininity

Most of the threads here deal with the superficial (clothes & makeup) aspects of being a female.

For me, the epitome of femininity is when she is holding down a full time job, dealing with babies, daycare, school functions, perhaps a handicapped child, teens, maybe SO's activities (or if a single mom - even more responsibilities), mortgage, car payments, bills AND then trying to look presentable after baby spit up or sitting in the rain watching a soccer game.

Banned Read only
    Char,
    Maybe slip the shoe on the other foot and imagine you suffer from dysphoria , what would identify masculinity to you , part of that equation would be the clothes .

Lets not forget the number of single parent famillies , men have taken on many of the female roles but I'm sure they admit it doesn't make them feel feminine .

I get treated like a woman because I dress like a woman , I admit it is a thin veneer but it's that outer layer that achieves it for me , looking feminine makes me feel feminine and that's how I get treated . I see the clothes as the window to the World of how I feel inside , I don't see it as superficial , without shouting I'm TG from the rooftops it's the only way I can put the message across .

My thread running at the moment about my neighbour revealing the truth is all about looking feminine because of the clothes I wear . The picture of the dress in my avatar was taken outside a hotel before a birthday dinner , I did feel feminine .

When I was still with my wife I did the cooking , cleaning , shopping and the washing and ironing , I had to do it in drab , it didn't make me feel feminine .
    Last edited by Teresa; 10-14-2019 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShirleyN View Post
    Hi ladies, had this question in my head a little earlier today. Are dresses (frocks, ball gowns, etc) the ultimate epitome of femininity? Be curious to know what others here think.
    Teresa,

I was replying to MY idea of femininity as it relates to the OP's post. Not trying to debate the issue. I'm sure everyone has a different idea.
    Last edited by char GG; 10-14-2019 at 07:41 PM.

Banned Read only
    Char,
    I understand , it's often overlooked that we do cover a wide spectrum .

I go with the bra as defining femininity.

To me, it is a tie between hose, heels, bra and dresses.

YOULOVEMYTOES Palaina Nocturnus's Avatar
    Hello Shirley,

Good question, I think that stuffed bras or lace bras with padding are the epitome of femininity.

My reasoning is that Scottish and Irish straight men can "wear a skirt" but call it a kilt and a good day lol so if you look at the skirt as a piece of clothing then it seems both genders wear them still to this day. It goes the same with Pacific and native tribes, a dress or skirt is considered part of ceremony.

Breasts. Breasts are what make the female form. Even with women that have very small breasts there is still this stigma about seeing them naked. Unlike a man, we can be shirtless anytime, even the slightest exposure or tell tale shape of a breast is sure to catch the attention of man and woman alike. Even when a man has breasts due to weight or affliction, we call them breasts and the psychology that plays on a man's brain is insane to say the least.

So to me I'm still in boy mode until I'm wearing my padded bra, even facial hair doesn't matter, I've seen plenty of GGs that have a darker mustache than me.
    Live, laugh, love!

Aspiring Member
    I love wearing dresses. I have over 1000 and I spend most of my time in them though I am currently sitting in a skirt and top. I love how they feel and how I look in them but at no point do I feel feminine - I am just me in different clothes. As a hetero male, I love seeing a woman in a nice dress but as others have said real femininity (or a male perception of it) is about so much more. A woman can be wearing an old T shirt and shapeless trousers and look the loveliest person on earth. Attempting to define femininity is going to be dangerous for anyone born male and whatever it is, different genders (including the trans range) are going to have different versions. But if it works for you, then it works and no one is harmed. If you feel feminine in a dress - whatever that means for you - I don't think anyone should argue - especially if feeling feminine makes you happy.

Banned Read only
    Palaina,
    Thats an interesting comment about a bra and showing a bust . I admit I felt slightly uneasy at first wearing a tight Tshirt and showing a reasonable bust , my thoughts were women would be upset and lampooned knowing it wasn't all real . The truth is most women obviously appear aware of them , to some they're stuck with something they don't totally like , I'm not saying it's a taboo subject but it's something they don't often discuss . Now I accept they see me and my shape is acceptable as a woman , but I don't feel they think it's displaying their femininity . Men may have a thing about boobs but women on the whole don't .

As for exposing them , on the whole most women are happy to keep them covered , women can be very critical of their own bodies , many of these fashion trends are designed to make women feel better about themselves .

I can wear pants anytime, but a dress is a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeA View Post
    No.
    As a MIAD I wear dresses and skirts but I do not feel feminine.
    I feel feminine when in MIAD mode, just not female.

For me, a dress is one of the most feminine pieces of clothing. I agree a bra is too but most of the time you aren't seeing people in their bras so a dress is more publicly seen typically. And even within the range of dresses, aren't some dresses more feminine than others? Such as a brown formless shift dress vs a fit and flare pink floral dress.

I would have to agree that dresses are the ultimate expression of femininity to me.
    I don't have any dress pants....
    There is nothing like the feeling of a light delicate dress .

i agree with most replies here myself. I probably should have asked "Are Dresses the ultimate feminine garment?" I aslo agree that femininity is much more than just clothes (i.e. nuture, empathy, etc.)

Hi Shirley, Oh, fun topic. No, I don't think they are "the ultimate epitome of femininity". Femininity covers so much more, but they certainly add to it.

Banned Read only
    Shirley,
    After reading many of the replies , I couldn't stop thinking what really does tip the scales .

Then I realised it's not so much the clothes but the body wearing them , by this I mean having little or no body hair . I only had to think back to when my wife was getting ready for a night out she would have a long soak in a scented bath and then apply body cream and powder , to me it was her way of feeling more feminine . If I can relate to that the feeling after a total body shave does feel very special , not having any body hair is a very feminine feeling . OK I'm sure some will reply saying not all guys have body hair , I guess they are the lucky ones .

I now shave everyday so the feeling has worn off so I'm very much in tune with women who on a daily basis wouldn't give the lack of hair a second thought , seen in this light I do feel sorry for women who have a body hair problem .

As this is CDs.com I take this question as more to do with representing female opposed to actually being a GG.

Staying in the PG range, something you could or in my case would wear out in public.

To the lumberjack comment is a reference to a Monty Python skit.