Thread: Coming out day

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake

Coming out day

I always discover National Coming Out Day either at the last minute or a day late. Yesterday was no exception. But I guess I did my part anyway. A couple I've known for years sold their house last spring and have been traveling in an Airstream trailer they restored before the sale. After several thousand miles they were passing through this area and needed a place to park while they caught up with other friends, family, doctors and business interests and I had the space. I'd come out to them via email and an old photo a few months ago, so they were aware I'm trans but it was still a bit more theory than reality.

I had a support group meeting to attend last night and before I left I invited them in to visit and get a look at "Sarah" up close and personal. I've hiked hundreds of miles in wild places with the husband and spent many hours visiting with the wife. So his image of me was a dirty, sweaty, cursing,joking, backpack-wearing, drinking guy. Hers was a bit more domesticated, but still based a lot around various campsites, and she reacted with praise and a hug. He was supportive and I think he's trying to piece it all together and I'll help where I can.

My key observation is they were the first of that part of my life to actually see me in person as a woman and I wondered what my response was going to be. Evidently I'm a lot closer to being ready than I thought. I was comfortable, my mouth didn't get dry, palms didn't sweat, I didn't want to run away and hide. I may not be out to everyone, but I don't think everyone needs to know. However, I just discovered I'm ready to be out more openly to those that do matter.

How was your "Coming out day"? Even if it wasn't yesterday.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Well, I found out late as usual! I did not dress yesterday(no wig, forms, or makeup!) But I am dressed today and the day before! I came out 3+ years ago to my daughter who lives with me! A few months later I came out to my son(verbally and he has seen my pics!) A few months later my SIL had to figure out who the pics were! Nothing but acceptance! Presently, I am also out at work! Some of the above have only seen the pics others have actually encountered Lana Mae! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Good for you, Kim! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    Thank you.

I'm supposed to meet with that couple and others in the same crowd this evening for drinks, food and catching up. They asked if Sarah was going to be who they saw and I declined saying I'm still treating each encounter with preparation, a semi-controlled environment and consent from those who are meeting me when I present fully as a woman for the first time. I'm at a point where I would liken showing up in Sarah mode to jumping out of the closet to surprise someone with my transition. Maybe that's wrong and I'm being too cautious now that everyone knows, but I still wade slowly into the pool rather than jumping right in the deep end. Regardless, it's coming and with my breast growth becoming more difficult to conceal, it will be here much sooner than I might have planned. Oh well.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.