Thread: Start electrolysis this week

Start electrolysis this week

I had a patch test today (short session of electrolysis in various areas of my face) and have my first hour session booked for Thursday. Apparently, I don?t have dense hair and am patchy (knew this last bit!), so am hopeful it won?t be a very long time before I complete. Mild discomfort, but nothing major. Looking forward to getting rid of the hair!

We're all different, of course, but around the lips and just below the nose are, typically, more densely innervated than the rest of the face. Topical anesthetic, the strongest you can lay your hands on, is highly recommended. Good luck!
    Last edited by Aunt Kelly; 10-15-2019 at 05:49 PM.

Yep, what Aunt Kelly says is exactly and correct.
    All we're different, different backgrounds that implies so much. In my case was around 2 years plucking in the upperlip so had controlled the growth of hair but stop doing it like a month before first session of electrolysis. She is working 2 hours weekly and we keep basically moving around the mouth, upper and under lips and I keep seeing some darkness for the new black hair growing there, upperlip. The test of the face my hair is white and had not been touched with the treatment yet so it's going to be long, I mean, one year or more. We can't go faster because insurance don't pay more than 2 weekly hours.
    I'm satisfied with the achieved so far but what aunt Kelly said about sensitivity around the nose and near lips is right. I was prescribed a topical anesthetic cream that I start applying every ten minutes one hour before each session and still hurt on each hair but it worth...
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

Aspiring Member
    Everyone has different sensitivity to pain. I could survive on Ibuprofen during my initial clearances but had no need in it after a area was cleared few times
    Last edited by Nigella; 10-17-2019 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Sorry but dosages of any medication is not permitted on the forum

Silver Member
    Unfortunately, density doesn't factor into the time span required to finish a face. Even with a light amount of facial hair, all the hair has to cycle in at least once, which takes about 12-14 months depending on the area. You could keep the time to a minimum by doing full clearances each time (which isn't an option for many due to high upfront cost and time required.)

A low density of hair will help keep the total treatment time and cost down, however.

Vickie, I'd like you can explaing in other way what you mention about "the hair has to cycle in at least once", those 12, 14 months...related with time and money, I don't have the problem of money, my insurance pay for it...so time?
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

Silver Member
    Hair grows in "waves", the hair you see today on your face isn't the same hair you had months ago. A hair on the face grows, stops growing, sheds and then "disappears" in the course of weeks; it takes about 14 months (varies between person to person) for every hair you can grow on your face to appear appear, fall out, hibernate, and then appear again. Every hair has to appear at least once to be killed, so it will take ~14 months (varies from person to person) at absolute minimum to finish a face from start to finish. There is no way to speed up the process and make the hair appear faster. So you will be going to the electrologist for about 14 months at a minimum.

When I started they said 18 months to 2 years and you have to commit to regular sessions or you're wasting your time and money. I'm almost a year into it and there's definitely still a lot to do.