Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concerts or Musicals

Concerts or Musicals

My wife and I are planning to go see the Celtic Women. I would like to go dressed as Dawn. I have never been out where I had to sit next to a stranger dressed a Dawn. Has anyone of you girls been out dressed to a concert or musical?

Dawn,

It's on my bucket list.

In truth it's little different from sitting next to someone on a train or bus except you're going to be in a dimly lit situation at the theatre.

One option is to book isle seats. If you feel the person next to you, if you're one seat in, is to swap with your SO and take the isle seat.

I've been to the cinema a few times but it's not been that busy that I was sat right next to someone. Act natually and you'll carry it off.

I have, over here in my region at least Celtic music is high on the agenda and periodically we have concerts and yes I went dressed for the last one, nobody batted an eyelid at me and I felt just the same as if I had been dressed within my home. Nothing beats live music!
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

Aspiring Member
    I have been to several and had to sit next to people. I always prefer to sit beside women no matter how I am addressed - that way you are less likely to be the victim of manspreading. There were no issues. No conversation either but that might have been unrelated to my clothes. I have been to classical and jazz concerts as Susan.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Been to a few rock and roll shows in inside and outside venues fully in girl mode.
    It felt normal and nobody even looked twice at me.

My SO and I went to see Lady Gaga in concert. Actually, his outfit was a huge hit! Lots of people wanted to be in pictures with him. No negative reactions whatsoever.

All the time. My wife and I go the theatre, probably 5 times a season. Depends on what the productions are. First out to dinner and the to the theatre. Never had an issue. Mostly we have pleasant conversation with or next seat neighbors.
    Cheers
    You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because your all the same

My wife and I went to a play (Hamilton in Chicago) my two cents you have heard 100 times before. Dress to blend, be confident and most people don't pay attention to others. The two ladies in are row and the people be hide us seem to not care or just didn't notice. Have fun and good luck.

Yup. Went and saw Something Rotten. Hilarious show by the way. Generally not a big deal, but thats So Cal, so your mileage may vary. You’re also seeing a show that will be attended primarily by a little older crowd most likely, so that we’ll be a factor too.

I recently went to an Avril Lavigne concert and wanted to dress in punk rock femme. But my wife didn't feel comfortable going to another country with me dressed (US -> Canada even though it was only a 3 hour drive each way and was only a day trip). So I dressed the day before in the outfit I would have worn. And my wife said if I washed the skirt she would wear it to the concert which we did.

Yes, like everything else it's no big deal, well except for the event.

Things happen all the time. At a Motley Crue concert the lady in front of me told me her son is TG. This kinda thing has happened to me before, not a big deal.

It is just like going anywhere else.

Being with someone especially a GG makes a difference. You will be fine, enjoy.

Several years ago, I went to some summer city band concerts in the park bandshell, in Dekalb Illinois, dressed up as Alice. Several people came and sat to the right of me, on the bleachers, and i made some comments on the music, and the woman next to me seemed a bit nervous and looked at me. They left early. But other than that, I know i was watched some, but no problems.

I've been to a number of concerts and shows in "Leslie" mode over the years, and as other posters here have stated, it's no "biggie" once you get over the initial jitters.

When I first started out, I went to "safe" venues such as Priscilla, Queen of the Desert and Kinky Boots where I knew that even the non-LGBT audience members wouldn't be freaked out by the concept of crossdressing itself, seeing real live crossdressers in person, or even assorted other TG folks in attendance. After all, that theme was the very essence of those productions. If anything, I was amazed at how many "straight" people were more than happy to attend these continuously sold out shows and enjoyed them immensely...wives, fathers, mothers, children, and even extended families or groups of friends included.

My presence never raised any eyebrows, I moved easily among the crowds during intermission, and I even engaged in lovely conversations with my female seat-mates that they themselves had initiated. Starting out, I would always choose an aisle seat so as not to be located smack-dab in the middle of the audience, avoid having a seat-mate on at least one side, and having the ability to make a quick exit should things get uncomfortable. In the end, I needn't have had to worry...it never happened.

I have now graduated to going to mainstream performances and sit wherever I want to get the best view without worrying about all those things that stopped me from doing so in the past. I've even gone to female-centric venues such as The Vagina Monologues or the National Women's Show (an annual event here in Toronto) where 90% of the attendees were women just to test myself by going straight into the lion's den, as it were, and again - never an issue and total acceptance.

As others here have pointed out, and as former U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt once put it so eloquently..."We have nothing to fear but fear itself."

Yes, earlier this year I went to a Gilbert and Sullivan Festival. I had no problems whatsoever, but also had a great conversation with a lady and her daughter who were seated next to me.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn P View Post
    ...Has anyone of you girls been out dressed to a concert or musical?
    That is my favorite activity when out and about. It naturally comes with good entertainment, a well-behaved crowd, and an opportunity or dress up while still blending in. My avatar photo shown here was taken at the Herberger (Phoenix) Arizona Theatre at a performance of The Music Man. I had to present my ID at the Will Call booth to get my ticket. The receptionist matched names, gave me my ticket, and wished me a pleasant performance. I wore the same outfit to the Folger Shakespeare Theatre in DC recently, riding the public transit bus to get there. (I took an Uber back to the hotel.) Same Will Call ticket experience. The lady sitting next to me, upon seeing me in that cobalt blue lace dress, heels, and hose, said that she had thought about dressing up and now wished that she had. I came back for another performance there in a different dress two days later. There was no line at the Will Call window this time, so I engaged in a discussion of Shakespeare with the receptionist for a few minutes.

I went to a standup comedy theatre last week in Baltimore wearing a black dress with thin horizontal stripes, a gray pleather moto jacket, and nice black purse and flats. Again, I rode public transit to get there, took an Uber back. Denver and C Springs each have a nice performing arts scene that I have attended en femme quite a few times. In C Springs, I once erred in reading the performance time, showing up at the last minute instead of my usual hour early. If I wanted in the door, I had to plead for mercy while dressed in a skirt, tights, and booties. I got a front row seat (!!) so close to the action that when the main character sprayed cookie crumbs as part of the act, I caught several on my skirt. In another play at the same theatre, I wore a top-of-the-knee black pencil skirt and four inch black heels. I had no idea in advance, but all three main female characters wore top-of-the-knee pencil skirts, different colors, with four inch black heels.

I have been to many movies in a skirt outfit, the first one in April of 2002 in a midi skirt and kitten heels, and the most recent being the new Mary Poppins movie this year, dressed in a tunic, black leggings, and tall boots. Times change, fashion to blend changes. BTW, in 1997, my first improv comedy attendance en femme, (and actually my very first public performance attendance en femme ), I tried to blend in but I did not succeed well. A comedian on stage made a joke about crossdressing in his act while looking at me. I was in the second row, aisle seat. No one else, on stage or in the audience, even seemed to notice me when he gave that joke. Rather than hide, I went en femme, dressed casually to blend in better, on a snowy day, to a community theatre six weeks later.

The most uncomfortable that I have been was in June 2005 when I sat next to a forty something man, his wife, and three preteen children. He and I chatted a little, but his wife stared daggers at me the entire performance. But that and the comedian are as bad it has ever gotten. Kandi Robbins does this often, even volunteers as an usher, and recommends it. See her blog.

Concerts....no but many many movies. I figure it's not my problem if they don't want to be next to me...they can always find another seat.

I have been going to concerts for many years. It used to be they were places where you could be dressed nicely and fit right in. Later, I would be one of the very few wearing a dress. In any case, present yourself well, act like a lady and enjoy!
    Hugs, Carole

Plays, symphony orchestra, burlesque, movies and the opera! Going to see La Traviata tomorrow with my GG friend, I have an elegant long dress that I bought for the opera season.

I think the most fun I had was seeing Kinky Boots, I thought there would be a lot of CDs there but turned out to be a couple of others and myself. I got to meet the cast after and it was such a great experience. Also met Dita von Teese after I scored free front row tickets from the sponsor. So yes, there is fun to be had out there! And I never had any problems sitting next to anybody.

Concerts, in or outside, including Elton John, Dead and Company (Greatful Dead), have had annual theater subscriptions to see about 6 plays each, one for Broadway musicals, movies and the Opera. Loved them all and dressed appropriately for each venue, meaning I could dress up for the operas, or up or down for the theater and concerts, and whatever for the movies. It is a safe environment to mingle with the general public. If you smile, own the moment for yourself and ignore your fears you will have a fantastic time. Good luck and enjoy.

Dawn, I have gone to see Celtic Women and loved the show. I would love to go again. I was however totally drab. My wife would not appreciate me going fem. You will certainly enjoy the show either way, but going enfem would be sweet.
    I just want to be pretty once in a while

Never to musicals or the theater, but to the movies (both packed and sparse crowds), and to live broadcasts of the Metropolitan Opera--by myself en femme when my wife has been away.

Two or three years ago I read that a few classic movies had be remastered (I think that is the term). The one that I wanted to see was "The Graduate". It turned out that a limited showing was going to occur in my area. This was made out to be a big deal and interested folks should get their tickets early as sellouts were predicted.

It, also, worked out that I would be home alone for a couple of weeks and that the showing of the movie would occur during that period of time. I bought my ticket early. In anticipation of the evening I bought a new dress and a new pair of heals. My excitement knew no bounds, though I was still, somewhat nervous about being out in a large crowd as Cheryl.

The evening came. There were two showings 7 PM and 10 PM. I opted for the 7 PM presentation and arrived at about 6:30 PM. The parking lot was nearly vacant. I sat there for a few moments worrying that I had made a mistake with the date. Quickly, I checked the internet and found that I had not made an error. During those moments a few cars arrived and their occupants got out and went to the ticket window. Other movies were being shown, though, so there was no way of knowing whether those folks were going to the same movie as me.

I got out of the car and approached the ticket window. A sign indicated that there was a special check-in for ticket holders of "The Graduate" inside. Inside I went where I found a table set up with two teenage girls there to handle the crowd. There were, also, two or three ushers standing there, as well. There no other customers except me.

There were no giggles. I was, clearly, a novelty for the teenagers, though. I presented my ticket and an usher directed me toward the correct room. I entered. Has anyone ever attended a movie by themselves? I now have. I was the only person in the theater. The movie was great. It brought back a lot of memories. Word of my presence had, apparently, spread because there were numerous staff members just outside my theater to control the crowd (just me) in exiting.

My experience was mixed. I was proud of myself for having the courage to do this. I was, somewhat, deflated that, other than the staff, no one else was there to add further validity to my outing. And, obviously, nobody sat next to me.
    Last edited by Cheryl James; 10-17-2019 at 01:34 PM.

A Carly Rae Jepsen concert a few weeks ago. The Queen of Pop music for the LBGTQ community!

"Call Me Maybe" was a huge hit in 2012. The music video had a gay twist at the end.
    Instead of trying to repeat that success she has been playing to a smaller crowds of totally devoted fans.

I'm sure she has all the money she needs--she is finally doing what she wants to do!
    Last edited by Maid_Marion; 10-17-2019 at 05:21 PM.

Oh, WoW! Exiting through the staff would have been thrillingly scary for me. Congrats to you for handling it.

I've been to both. Hamilton in Chicago (my wife wants to see Hamilton, but doesn't know I've seen it already). I also saw U2 in St. Louis in rock chick mode. Both times I went by myself, and didn't have any issues (the crowd was probably 15,000 at the U2 concert).