Thread: Advertising

Advertising

I don't know if it's true across the country, but I a lot of the ads on TV here are very ethnically- and LGBT- friendly.

There are a lot of black couples, Hispanic couples, mixed race couples and mixed race families, e.g., a white couple adopting children from China or adopting black children. I've also seen TV ads with Lesbian two-bride weddings. There are also ads celebrating women, no matter how they look.

It would be nice if the advertisers started normalizing T people by including some in their ads. Wouldn't it be cool to see two women shopping from behind, but when they turn to face the camera, one of them could be clocked as CD/TG?
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

hello Steffi,
    In the UK I have noticed some television adverts for make up that feature drag queens.
    Also, women breastfeeding children are in some adverts for things other than baby milk formula.
    So perhaps "Society" is becoming more accepting... I still have not seen a bearded man in a dress in any capacity other than to be laughed at or compete in the Euorvision Song Contest!
    luv J

Steffi, there is an Uber commercial where the person who is picked up is a drag queen.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

I completely agree Steffi. It is nice to see commercials trending in this direction. Maybe they are doing more to generate some unity in this country than anything else and they do it with a semi-subliminal way. Unfortunately, as you say, including the trans people is a rarity. I suspect the focus groups advertisers use are showing that including that is a bit beyond general acceptability in the public eye.

Perhaps you have come across a good way to measure the degree of acceptance as perceived by the advertising agencies who tend to design ads based on some really good study data. They make their money by producing successful ads. And maybe we T folks are not yet acceptable to the masses and people react negatively. Might be some explanations for that coming out of the place where you live. Enough about the political influence. Don't want to break any rules.

Banned Read only
    Steffi,
    I have noticed ads in the UK are sneaking in snatches of members of the TG community .

Interesting point about shoppers being clocked as CD/TG , the question is do some really want that attention ? I'm well into social transition , being clocked and looking for or getting a reaction are becomming a thing of the past . The best validation I can get now is not being clocked , not being singled out as trans .

Jacques,
    There is an ad running where many images are flashed up in quick succession and one of the images is a guy with facial hair wearing lipstick but it's a case of if you blink you'll miss it !
    Last edited by Teresa; 10-21-2019 at 02:44 PM.

Aspiring Member
    There is a Scottish soft drink called Irn Bru which is quite disgusting, but it outsells Coca Cola in Scotland, making us one of only two countries in the world where Coke is not King. They have a reputation for offbeat TV adverts, and one had a family at home. The mother, who was very obviously GG, was shaving her face in front of a mirror singing "even though I used to be a man".

There is also a UK advert for a price comparison website called Moneysupermarket.com that had men dancing in heels and hotpants though the reasoning behind this was never clear.

There was an old one for Harp Lager where a man is helping his wife try on dresses and asks him to fetch one in a 12. He hands this to an SA and asks if she has a 12 in this. She shouts across the store "Gentleman wants this in a 12". Then she turns to the camera and says "He looks more like a 14 to me".

OK these are not quite the normalizing of the OP but they put crossdressing in homes on a regular basis. I have noticed quite a few people who are probably gender fluid on University Challenge and in the audience immediately behind the black chair on Mastermind (UK quiz shows) - this has happened more than once suggesting that someone in the studio has given them a seat where they are most likely to be seen on screen.
    Yet another for a product I now forget had a family with guests round for dinner. The woman guest complains that the waistband on her tights is digging into her and the male of the host family suggests that the ones with the broad waistbands are much more comfortable.

There also used to be a UK cop series called The Bill, dating from the days when women Police Officers wore skirts. The old opening titles showed two pairs of feet and legs walking along cobbles, one with trousers and one with a skirt. A comedy sketch version of this panned up to show that it was the woman in the trousers and the man in the skirt.
    Last edited by susan54; 10-21-2019 at 09:42 AM.

Advertisers produce ads that sell. They spend a staggering amount of money on figuring out the most effective way to do that. That their research has shown that LGBTQ+ friendly content is effective is cause for celebration. And BTW, there have been several campaigns featuring M2F TG models and actresses, but they tend to blend; are not jarring to convention in the way that same sex couples still are.
    Calling bigotry an "opinion" is like calling arsenic a "flavor".

Quote Originally Posted by Sometimes Steffi View Post
    I don't know if it's true across the country, but I a lot of the ads on TV here are very ethnically- and LGBT- friendly.

There are a lot of black couples, Hispanic couples, mixed race couples and mixed race families, e.g., a white couple adopting children from China or adopting black children. I've also seen TV ads with Lesbian two-bride weddings. There are also ads celebrating women, no matter how they look.

It would be nice if the advertisers started normalizing T people by including some in their ads. Wouldn't it be cool to see two women shopping from behind, but when they turn to face the camera, one of them could be clocked as CD/TG?
    Advertisers create commercials which show their products on people, who appear like the viewer wants to appear, while wearing their products. This is why most plus size commercials show 'barely' plus size models the vast majority of the time. To show their products on those who are obvious MTF folks, would force that image into their target audience's minds, and possibly make those potential buyers think that if they wear those items, they will look like a MTF transgender person; probably not the goal that they were seeking. While it seems to be fine these days, showing other ethnicities, those others are also always attractive females as well. Over the years, I've heard many women refer to another woman's article of clothing as something 'only a drag queen would wear', or other words to that effect. So it's obviously a potential problem for advertisers, not to go over the line and non verbally suggest that if you wear their merchandise, you'll look like a guy in a dress (or whatever it is).
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Let's not forget that Joe Namath an American football player) appeared appeared in a Hanes commercial wearing pantihose.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...2&action=click
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Hello Steffi,
    tonight I saw an advert (in the UK) for a new car using "Walk on the Wild Side" as the theme music.
    "... Shaved her legs and then he was a she ... "
    luv J

I've seen an ad for a HIV-related drug that had a trans woman in there as well as a few gay men. Because, y'know, only LGBT folks have to worry about that sort of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GEOB9aplh0
    Bearded, hairy, beer-chugging, truck-drivin', wife lovin' manly man...
    ...sometimes in lingerie and heels, and occasionally a cute dress. MIAD 4 life!

There's an ad for a home security system that shows a bearded man in makeup playing tea party with a young girl, presumably his daughter, who let's in an African-American woman with some baked goods who is welcoming them to their new neighborhood with a verbal command to the alarm system and then shouts to the woman "The door's open!"; she enters. (This has to win the prize for run-on sentences.)
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

Quote Originally Posted by Sometimes Steffi View Post
    Let's not forget that Joe Namath an American football player) appeared appeared in a Hanes commercial wearing pantihose.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...2&action=click
    I remember that ad. It was gag, of course. As far as we know, Broadway Joe was not a cross dresser, but IIRC, the ad was one of the most effective of all time. Women loved it, and the men (mostly) cringed at having been hoodwinked.
    Calling bigotry an "opinion" is like calling arsenic a "flavor".

I umpired a softball tournament this weekend. Yesterday was downright chilly and today was quite blustery. Yesterday was cold enough that I wore thermals under my uniform. I know from past experience that when I get home and ready to shower, it can be difficult to remove sweaty clothing. So I wore pantyhose under everything, because everything slides right off of pantyhose. And I wore pantyhose again today because it helps cut the wind.

Banned Read only
    Those ads would never be looked on favorable where I live. No matter how "progressive" some areas of Chicagoland claim to be.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelli_cd View Post
    I umpired a softball tournament this weekend. Yesterday was downright chilly and today was quite blustery. Yesterday was cold enough that I wore thermals under my uniform. I know from past experience that when I get home and ready to shower, it can be difficult to remove sweaty clothing. So I wore pantyhose under everything, because everything slides right off of pantyhose. And I wore pantyhose again today because it helps cut the wind.
    Those are some remarkable if somewhat unbelievable justifications for wearing panty hose. I wear them because I like how they feel. Period.

Monica, You just don’t get it cause it’s a softball thing. Kelli has a good idea there and has put two things she likes together. Simple as that.
    Crissy

Monica, I love wearing pantyhose. Sliding them (or stockings) up freshly shaven legs is divine. It's just thathat my circumstances only allow so much. I have to steal my pleasures when, where and how I can.
    I was just following the bit about Joe Namath. Cold weather is a great reason/excuse to add pantyhose under one's clothing.