Thread: A New Book Begins, TOUGH POST

Exclamation A New Book Begins, TOUGH POST

FIRST A WARNING.

This posting discusses suicide, among other things. I am not actively suicidal, and yet I am not open to platitudes regarding life. Overall I have a positive view regarding life and enjoy overall good health, both physical and mental.

If the subject of suicide disturbs you, don't read any further. You have been warned.

NOW FOR THE POSTING.

A New Book Begins

I'll give it the working title, "Life", only because I need a name for it and it's as good as any title for now.

Synopsis: A crossdresser who has been married for 20 years validates his nature.

I was first dressed when I was 3 years old. Dad and mom thought it would be fun to see their son in his older sister's dress. It was lots of fun.

In 1983, I told my girlfriend, who is now my wife, that I was a transvestite. I told her everything I knew about it, which at the time wasn't much. She didn't like it and wished I'd quit. I told her I wanted to do so, which in a way I really did. Later we became engaged and in 1984 we were married.

I thought I could get rid of the clothes, but clearly I could not.

I bought and hid clothes, threw them away, bought more, and just tried to keep sane. The wife didn't like the idea of transvestism at all. Add to that she had problems with her own sexuality.

It wasn't until 1991 that I discovered TriEss and other sources of information about what I am. For a time, my wife allowed me to dress a little and even helped. Invariably she would reject that part of me and we'd argue. Still, I was able to dress occasionally.

In 1998, we had our first and only child. She was born almost 2 months premature and spent that amount of time in the hospital. My wife had problems too, and spent a month in the hospital herself. I went to the hospital all but two days of that time, staying away times I thought I was catching a cold.

Around that time my wife promised me that she would work to integrate "Stephanie" into our family. She has done nothing toward that goal. The kind view is that she didn't keep her promise. The less-than-kind view is that she lied.

Now my daughter is about to turn 6. She's a great kid! My wife and I had a discussion early in September.

"What are you going to say when Alice (not her real name) asks why Daddy wears nylons?"

"I don't know."

We discussed this for awhile, and she is completely and utterly unable to answer the question. I am nothing.

On September 12, 2004, I purged everything. I will not confuse my daughter.

On October 18, I discovered this place. For now, it is my safe haven. I cannot think of a better compliment for a place such as this. Thank you everyone!

On November 9, I see a counselor to begin along the path to saving or ending our marriage. I need to be a whole person, but cannot if nearly half of my self is to be ignored, rejected, reviled. We'll either find a way to stay together or we'll split.

My wife and I discussed what I am TG-wise. I should have been born female. I should have carried our daugher in my belly. Would I go for SRS? No. It wouldn't satisfy my needs. Would I live as female without surgery? Definitely no. Photos can be kind; the light of day isn't. I wouldn't pass well enough to live en femme without hormonal and surgical assistance, but those aren't me. Point is, my TG life wouldn't change very much if we divorced.

If we divorced, the finances are such that I'd get a condo nearby, we'd find a way for her to keep the house, and we'd do what we can to make this less painful to Alice. I have neither the need nor the desire to make a divorce messy. Fortunately neither does my wife.

My one dark concern is suicide. When I was a kid, I had the means to end my life. I dry ran the procedure and asked myself if I could do it. "No," I concluded. In the 90s, we were in couple's therapy related to my wife's problems. The counselor kept going back to things from my past that I'd already resolved; they didn't need resurfacing. I thought I'd break. My conclusion from adolescence was reversed; I'd kill myself in order to keep someone from breaking me. Suddenly the option "not to be" empowered me to change the course of therapy. That good turn lasted for 3 to 6 months when the counselor began a revisiting of my past and what seemed an attack on my transgenderism. When I began reconsidering suicide I understood my situation and acted accordingly. I terminated the couple's counseling.

Since that experience I now have suicide and execution scenes play through my mind anywhere from 20 to 100 times a day. They are relentless and almost always violent. Going back into some form of counseling to save this marriage is scary. I swore I'd never go back, but I am doing so of my own accord to try once again to save this marriage. Will counseling get bad again? (The question is rhetorical.)

Elsewhere outside of this forum I've seen someone refer to suicide as the Dark Knight. For what it's worth, I don't believe I fit the pattern of suicidal people. During this current purge, suicide was certainly a considered option. I'm still here. I also think I'm back to my view from when I was a kid. "No, I can't kill myself." While suicide has been considered, I am not "pursued by the Dark Knight".

I look forward to either the improvement of our marriage, or divorce. In either case, I will get to be whole again, which is all I want.

The new book has begun. How it will end is unclear.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Stephanie

Mac - It really does Just Work

Back and Glad about it!

Stop

Frac...

Your daughter needs you. She will always need you. No matter who you are or what you do. She considers you the center of the universe. See that. Believe that. It's true.

Hold her tight. Love her. Give her as much of you as you can. Be honest with her. Be her father. Because no matter what, you always will be.

Think about her, and her needs. And then ask what scenario would you rather have her deal with someday as she talks to her friends...either, "My Dad is a crossdresser." Or, "My Dad's dead. He killed himself,"

No brainer.

Let her love be your strength. It is strong enough...now and always, it will forever be strong enough. You can do it..if you do it for her.

Love

G

~~Post Modern Romantic~~ KewTnCurvy GG's Avatar
    Stephanie, please hang in there, you're worth it and I agree with Genevieve, your daughter needs YOU! Maybe the ending of your marriage will be a positive thing, it can be, however stressful divorce is. Also, I hope you feel better understood and accepted by your current therapist--if not, find one you do feel that way with. That is very important.

hugs, Stephanie, hang in there, we do care
    kew
    ~Dear Dorothy,
    Hate Oz, took the shoes, find your own way home.
    Toto~

Quote Originally Posted by fractlgrrl

The new book has begun. How it will end is unclear.
    [size=4]" Then choose the most beautiful color, until it's clarity returns upon your life. Follow the True Heart........" Vanessa[/size]
    [SIZE=3]"It's All an Illusion...."[/SIZE]

Amelie
    Steph,,, Like Genevieve and Kew said, it is your daughter who is going to suffer. Sorry, this will sound mean,, you will not suffer if you commit suicide, but you can bet your daughter will have a lifetime of suffering. Your daughter is the most precious thing in you world. If you saw your daughter in a burning building, you, would go into the fire to save her. So, to save her a lifetime of suffering you must do what is best for her. Finding a way to dress away from her, or stopping completely is a lot easier than going into a burning building, which you would do without thinking.
    Suicide is very easy,, I think about it daily,, it won't hurt me, I look foward to it. But my Mom and Dad would be devastated, I could not do that to them, it would be selfish.
    I knew a GG, a street girl i used to hang out with, to me she was the most beatiful GG i ever met, even though she was homeless quite often. She wasn't stupid, I learned a lot from her, I fell in love with her(no sex).
    The pai of living was too much for her, she commited suicide, I was a wreck, I brokedown, for years I didn't want to meet anyone, or do anything, I felt that I should have done something. For years now I keep asking what could I have done, I play scenario after scenario in my head everyday, What could I have done. This is what is going to be in your daughters head. It doesn't go away, every little thing will remind her of you. She won't be able to escape the pain.
    I know you must be going through hell to be thinking of suicide, but it will be a bigger hell for your daughter.
    I wasn't really clear if this was you in the story, according to Kew's responce it looks that way. I can't tell you what needs to be done, all I can say is suicide is not to be done.

Love Amelie

I have never been to the point where you are, so I can't possibly relate to this.
    I can how ever pray for you and hopefully anyone else out there that believes in the power of prayer will do the same.

God so loved us that he gave his only Son for our salvation.
    Love
    Georgette

It's tough, but doable

Clearly, suidicide is not an option. It would devastate your daughter, your wife, and represent you as a coward. You are not a coward, how could you be? So, don't even entertain thoughts of suicide. Counseling can and often does work. You need to see a counselor who can either function as or set you up with a suicide interventionist. When someone begins to seriously consider suicide it is time to do something. You are at that point. You need to know and understand that you are AT THAT POINT. The first sign of someone being at that point is when they reach out and tell somebody. I have professional experience working with teens at risk. One of the primary problems teens at risk have is dealing with feelings of sexual inadequacy and a desire to end it all with suicide. Seek counseling. We are all praying for you.

Greetings,

First post but the subject is so timely. Do we, as a group, think about suicide more than others. I know that I have great recollection of these thoughts throughout the years. In a sad way suicide is a comfort thought. If I do this then my problems will end. Who or What is it that we wish dies. For me it was the shame of being TG. As our personalities are expressed daily either in drab or en femme we do lead very special lives. The roles we are expected and expect from ourselves to perform in either mode can be quite difficult.

The thought of suicide is a cry for help. Something needs to change. I understand that this is not a path that you will chose. If it means "acceptance" from within that "I am different" than so be it. Children will gauge us for our actions and in time accept us for who we are. Give yourself permission to continue being a loving and caring figure to your daughter. In time, if she does find out, she will return the same level of care and understanding that you will have show her by your actions.

My being TG, possibly TS, has caused me many years of anguish. I'm fortunate that I've found a wife who understands. I told her early in our marriage what I was. That was the scariest thing I've ever done. We have set boundaries but I have my ways around some of them LOL. Will post some of these later on.

My thoughts of suicide ended when I accepted that I was a basically good, kind loving person who happens to be TG.

Fractlgrrl I thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. In some ways you answered a lot of your questions in your post.

I wish you and your family well in your journey.

Frac,

*HUG*

My bf thought about killing himself when he was eight years old, because of his dressing. I thought about it at 14 years old, because of my parents' impending divorce and the stressful situation it was causing.

Both of us didn't because of the people that we love in our lives - we both knew that we couldn't do that to them, and I know that however dark things seem to you, you will never do that to your daughter - you love her too much, and you know she adores you - she and her love for you will give you the strength to get through all this.

You also seem to be approaching the remain married/get divorced question in exactly the right frame of mind - just remember that children are very perceptive, and if you try to lie to yourself for her sake, your daughter will know.

I really wish you the best in all of this, and when it feels darkest, keep talking to us here and remember you can't leave us one geek down, we're already outnumbered!
    Life is not about finding yourself, life is about creating yourself

Thanks!

Hi everyone!!!!!!!

Thank you so much for your words and thoughts. I'm going to respond in blocks of comments, a few here and a few there. I'll get to all of them, however.

Hi Genevieve.

Thank you for your words!!!!

I thought those very words a short while back, well half of them. "My Dad's dead. He killed himself." I didn't like it. She's probably my real anchor to this world. Suffice it to say I almost lost her and my wife because of her birth. I fought for both of them.

I'm fine right now. It's after getting back into a counseling situation that worries me. I think I'll be fine, but you can be sure I'll be on my guard.

Hi Kew.

I know you people care. I also know my daughter needs me.

I work on Saturdays. It's a shifted schedule so that we can raise our daughter without daycare. Tonight after work we prepared for Halloween. We had two small pumpkins, carved one and decorated the other. We also prepared pumpkin seeds for roasting tomorrow. "Alice" directed the carving, and helped her Mom decorate the other. I'll be around for her, one way or another.

Hi Vanessa.

Good words you wrote. Thank you!!!! May I allow myself to see the path.

Hi Amelie.

Thank you too for your words!!!!

The funny thing is that after my daughter was born, I was fighting for her life. She almost didn't make it through her first hour, and I stayed with the neonatal staff until she was okay, "okay" meaning that she was stable with respirator, tubes, and monitors connected to her. The staff wanted me to leave, but I couldn't, not until I knew she was going to make it. There was one day that I was visiting her in the NICU, neonatal intensive care unit, that she stopped breathing in my arms; it happened many times. This time however she turned blue. The staff called it dusky. I brought her back by stimulating her, rubbing her back. I called it, "rebooting the baby"; point is I almost lost her in my arms. The memory is as fresh as when it happened, and the tears still flow when I think about it.

It was the sum of those memories that helped me through the last time and gave me the strength to try counseling one more time to resolve our marriage.

I'm sorry about your friend, Amelie. I am aware about how suicide affects others.

My dad was an alcoholic. In this recent low period I've turned to heavy anime viewing. Oh, and visiting this wonderful place. I think I've got a chance to make it.
    Stephanie

Hi!

Here's the next block of responses.

Hi Georgette.

You've never been where I am? I hope you never are, but I suspect you relate to it more than you might suspect. We complement each other. I don't know that I believe in a God (agnostic, not atheist), but on those times I "pray" in my own way, most times it's to say, "Thank you for ____" where ____ is a friend, a sunset, or a little craft made by my daughter. I still say those words.

Hi Susan.

The word "coward" is funny. Not too long ago I had the sense I was a coward for *not* killing myself. Fortunately I could recognize the error in that logic.

With regard to counseling, the issue of suicide will be a part of the counseling that begins in about a week and a half. I have no desire to place myself in a situation where I will place my life in danger, well not that way anyway. To reiterate, it was counseling that drove me toward active suicidal thoughts. He'll know that up front. Alternatively, if this goes bad, the worst path ahead of me now is the direct route to divorce. It may not be ideal, but I'll be here for my daughter, and I'll be alive. Thank you!

Hi Maude.

Thank you for your words.

I'm so sorry for you about your wife. Thank you for the pm offer.

It's funny in a way. On the occasions when I've experienced the need to suicide, I realized thing weren't right and needed to somehow change. It's not what I'd call the ideal sign, but I'm still here and working to solve my problems.

Hi Jeannie.

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for your words!!!!

Being TG *is* confusing. It is not logical, but it is what I am. I've had rejection regarding this part of me for so long that my own self worth has become terribly low. And then I look at myself from a distance and know it isn't right. Now I"m trying to correct that. Thank you.

Hi Lily.

Thanks for the words and the hug!!!!! *HUG* back to you.

From what I've written before, you know she really does represent life to me as well as the fight for it.

Recently we visited the Land Down Under. While there, my daughter and I did an experiment. The first half we did up here in the US. We constructed a makeshift sundial so she could see how the shadows moved clockwise during the day. Wnen we were in Australia, we did the other half of the experiment, where the shadows moved counterclockwise. We had fun doing it. It was fun having her help do this and watching her learn and have fun.

I don't want to lose that.

Don't worry, I'll continue to post, especially if things get bad. Thanks!!!!

More responses to come shortly.
    Stephanie

Oh, that was it for now on the responses. I was reading then responding, not reading ahead.

Thank you again everyone. I am very fortunate for many reasons. With a lot of effort and a little luck, things may just go okay.

Love,

Stephanie
    Stephanie

Hello Stephanie,

We are all, in a way, kindred spirits. I've had the pleasure to read some of your posts and wish to thank you for sharing. Please do not hide that great smile of yours.

Yes we are different from the mainstream and guess what that's OK.

You are obviously a wonderful and caring person. Nothing can change that.

Your daughter is lucky to have you in her life and you in hers.

I wish you well.

Hi Stephanie,
    This is a hard post but many of us will relate to your situation. Remember your family, they are more important than anything else, something I've had to remind myself of more than once.

And your other family, we're all here for you
    Love
    Fiona

Amelie
    Like Jeannie and Fiona said, We are different from the mainstream, and we are here if you need us.

Just think of your daughter and all will be fine.

Love Amelie

Hi Jeannie.

Thank you!

The modified picture w/o eyes or mouth was done shortly after the purge. It was a way to express what was happening inside me. It also helped me to start resolving all of this.

And yes, I'm pretty lucky to have my daughter.

Hi Erica.

Thank you!

*HUGS*

Hi Fiona.

Thank you.

You are all wonderful!

Hi Amelie.

Thank you.

I think things will be fine.

I debated posting the original message. I really have only one close friend with whom I can discuss such things, and she's been great through all of it. (She's strictly a buddy!)

It was on Friday that I was able to get the appointment with the counselor. That's when I became a bit more anxious. On one hand I think I'm taking the right path, risks notwithstanding. On the other hand I'm doing it with a considerable amount of trepidation. This is such a good place and you are such good people that I thought I'd take the risk of posting.

I'll certainly be thinking of my daughter, especially when the times go bad, but I'll also be thinking of all of you too. That will help me through all of this.

Love,

Stephanie
    Stephanie

Julie
    Stephanie, the only reason I haven't posted to this thread is because I didn't feel quantified to offer any concrete advice to the questions raised. Just to say along with all the other girls, I'm here for you.

Hugs

Julie J

Hi Julie!

Thank you!

Qualified? Your words are beautiful and are as helpful as any. I'd call that "qualified". Sometimes just a virtual pat on the back is what each of us needs.

Love,

Stephanie
    Stephanie

Suicide's not an answer. Time will show that. I would suggest finding a different therapist if you feel that the therapist is not addressing the problem at hand. Divorce is an option. I guess you should ask yourself is which decision will make you happy? Your happiness will allow you to be a more effective parent in my opinion. Julie M's advice is probably better than mine, though.

For Stephanie

Can't really add anything to what the other's have said but I do know that if someone is hurting there is One who cares.
    "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotton son"
    I have never been married because I was always afraid my cross dressing would drive women away. It is also hard for your wife. Obviously most people would say to give up dressing for your wife and daughter. Unfortunately life is not that simple. In past ages many people were killed by the authorities because their desire to cross dress was so strong.
    I have struggled many years with the conflict between dressing and being a Christian. At times I have felt that God has given me permission even though it is probably not in my long term interest. Right now I feel the need to reconnect with God as I am, not as I am "supposed" to be. World events scare me and my health is questionable. Sometimes I look at myself in the mirror and thank God that I can be reasonably pretty at my age. Life is hard for everyone but I think we have it harder than many others. In the end
    I believe that the hardship will work to the good.
    Hugs and Best Wishes
    Christine

Hi Julie.

Thank you!!!!!

I plan on being around. You people have all helped, long before yesterday's posting. If I didn't have the intention, the goal, and the spirit to live, I wouldn't have posted.

Regarding gender specialists, that's exactly what I'm seeking. I'll see how good this one is in a week or so. If he's not for me/us, I'll look elsewhere.

I don't lose well, and I don't quit easily. It's just that sometimes I just don't understand all of the rules.

Thank you for the compliments too. I'm not used to such words. In practice I try to live a good life, but regarding my worth as a person, well, I figure I'm doing okay if I'm not causing harm in some way. It's one step at a time for now. And to reiterate, I plan on living.

Hi BiOpi.

Thank you!!!!

Your words too are good. The path for now is, Save the marriage. If that's not possible, it's Divorce, with the intention of staying physically nearby so that I can still be a father to my daughter.

Oh, and I love your avatar!!! It's so cute!

Hi Christine.

I mentioned in an earlier response that I'm agnostic, a label given to me by someone else. I don't deny the existence of a God, I just don't see direct evidence. That doesn't take away the beauty of the universe and the goodness of people. That doesn't mean I am not judged. I see myself being judged every moment of every day by everyone. Philosophically I see the purpose of life is "to live", as opposed to "to die". Our actions are either life positive, life neutral, or life negative. I try to act in a way that supports life, not just my life, but life in general.

I wish I could believe in a supreme being, but I don't and cannot. For what it's worth however, I live with the expectation of being judged at any time. Were I to die right now, I'd have no shame in a final judgement if it were to happen, other than to say, "Sorry I didn't believe in you."

I have one Friend, a girl buddy. She's a Born Again Christian, and religious differences notwithstanding, we hold very similar values. She was there for me when no one else was. So often I find myself saying, "If there is a God, thank you so much for my friend ____." While I can't ask for comfort from a God in which I don't believe, I can certainly offer thanks for my good fortune.

Lately I've been also offering thanks for all of the good people here in this forum. Thank you all! Thank you Christine!

Love,

Stephanie
    Stephanie

JoannaDees
    I was not going to post to this thread, thinking you have gotten so much positive reinforcement from the others. But I came back, read some more, and it really brought up some emotional memories for myself. I was very close at one time, all set up, ready to go, then I saw a plaque my daughter made me ... I love You Daddy, Love Kristy. That stopped me immediately, I checked into a hospital, and worked through it. I still have that plaque hanging in my room. My point is, happiness abounds for me, and I have the most wonderful kids, and such a fantastic relationship with them. Happiness can be attained, things may need to change, but that's not such a bad thing if it's the road to wellness.

Love,
    Joanna

Hi Joanna.

I'm glad things worked out for you! Thanks for your words!!!!

It's funny. Over the last day I've just watched so much closer how my daughter is. At almost 6, she's so full of life and love and silliness. I always see it. Geez, when I wait for the school bus with her, people must think I'm nuts. She has these silly games where we run and jump and dance on the sidewalk.

I put it into perspective from all of the thoughts and support from everyone, and I'm more aware of what I have. When the hard times come, I will have a better chance of getting through them.

Love,

Stephanie
    Stephanie