Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Finding courage for first outing

Quote Originally Posted by gracielle View Post
    Hello, dear!

I asked the very same question here a long time ago, and the support I received here helped me a lot not only with accepting my feminine companion (it's not just a "side", I prefer "my best friend ever"), but also to resolve some very deep and serious issues in my life and in my family.

My first time out was one of the hardest things I ever imagined. I've been preparing for it so many times, and each of them was ending right at the front door. After almost an year of failing attempts I finally succeeded by literally forcing myself out with a single though in my head - "shut up and just do it". Then I got on the street looking as a scared little kitten. At least I felt this way. I started walking slowly through the square (I cursed myself for living in the town's center), making my way to the nearest dark street, and speeding up my pace. My feet were trembling and it took all of my power to keep walking normally in my heels (which I also cursed). Yeah, I got a bunch of looks at me, I got the creeps and I was screaming inside "let's go back home, I am terrified that something might happen". All I heard back in my head was "really? Let it happen. I'll deal with it.". I got to a darker alley and I then realized it. I was a damn hot chick, I felt like one, I got attention, because I looked awesome, which was actually the whole idea. Why on Earth would I get out dressed up as a girl? Why the makeup? Why the whole thing at all? I needed attention and I got it. I manned up, I walked around for twenty more minutes and on my way back I really didn't care, when I passed through the square again. Didn't even notice if there were any looks at all - my head was already filled with my regular to-do stuff. I got home and cooked a nice homemade sushi set. I felt wonderful after the whole experience!

As with anything else - either you do it or you don't. Saying that, I've been preparing for a walk around the neighborhood for the whole day, and after finishing some work at home I finally got out at 5:30 PM (it's EEST, I am from Bulgaria). Although I still have concerns about "what IF someone recognizes me" and I have a swift direct answer to that - "so what?", I always keep in mind I might need to defend myself, because there are still a lot of people around here being a bit hostile to those who are... different, and they openly say it. I must share that as a man in my occasional outfit (going to work, hang out, etc.) I feel nearly invincible and I show my total carelessness to everything around me, and that actually helps a lot. Yeah, I learned to act like them, because years ago I would not exist as a girl, literally. Anyway, regarding overall attention -one of my neighbors saw me the other day on the stairs - short black skirt, thick black pantyhose, over-knee black leather boots, satin black shirt, a bit messy haircut - just quickly looked all over me and immediately started buzzing his phone. That much of an interest. They certainly don't care. Or maybe it was the all-in-black look, I don't know. Nor I actually care, frankly.

After all - it's all inside our minds, but of course, like in some of my cases, seeing a gorgeous-looking girl (I love being one!) walking around with no obvious direction in the middle of the night definitely attracts attention. Yeah, I get a lot of "offers". I generally do prefer the "shadows" way, both as a man and a woman, and it is a just personal preference. But I have to admit - staying in the open regardless how you look makes you less interesting that lurking in the shadows, especially for the patrolling police cars. I had one driving slowly after me and once I got under the street lights they just got past me. Anyway, blending is not an easy task, but the important thing is to not overthink it.

Not long ago I did a comparison between Grace and "the regular" me, I shortened it down to the following conversation:
    1. What do you do to blend in? -Nothing. Never thought about it.
    2. How do you deal with people staring at you? -Do they?
    3. Okay, what if anyone asks you something or simply speaks to you? -Well, reply back?
    4. Fine, if they become aggressive?! -Usually I'd try to quickly talk my way out of it, then - run. If necessary - call the police, fight back. What world are you living in, anyway?!
    5. Don't you have any concerns when you are on the street? Whatever these might be? -Yes, of course - the high possibility of an asteroid hitting Earth ending all life on it. And getting my wage, so I can live long enough to see it, while drinking a glass of Jack. What are yours?
    Silence.

Eventually, this sealed my concerns for good. They were all unreal. It turned out my feminine companion was nothing more than a growing kid that needed guidance. So, a "first walk out as a girl" would be like a baby having its first steps, right? It takes time and effort, and each moment is really worth it.

A side note here, though - recently I started getting out at around 6AM or 7AM and to my surprise - no one even looked at me! That ringed a bell - who the hell cares what's going on at such an hour? I certainly don't. I am sleeping with my eyes open and I just get to work. Everyone was exactly like that, as was I an hour later, when I had to run to work, being late because I had a ton of makeup to remove... Aaaand, I am still wondering why the female me is so eager to go out for walks, while the male me prefers staying at home, but that's another story. Saying that - I'm getting late for my evening walk!

Anyway, if you have at least one person to support you - you got it all. Talk to them, share, get them in a car, go somewhere no one knows you, have a good time. Good friends always help a lot, and that's exactly what friends are for.

Apologies for the wall of text!

Wish you a lot of fun, lovely!

Regards
    Grace
    Wow.... This is simply a great and awesome replay. I actually got to this forum looking for exactly this. I'm about to go out for the first time this Saturday and why I've always kept me from pursuing it further down the line has always been the aggression part of it. I do fear being targeted and even assaulted, but it should be the same as if I was in my manly self. I suffer from axienty, mostly for social interaction, even as a boy so, this and many related questions have come to my mind, but this advice sums it all.

You've given me a lot of courage because I was actually second thinking this, but now I know that I can definetly handle it. Thank you so much.

Banned Read only
    Alorob29, I hope you will regale us with your first time story after you go out this Saturday.

NC_Natalie

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Natalie View Post
    Alorob29, I hope you will regale us with your first time story after you go out this Saturday.

NC_Natalie
    Surely I will, I've been reading many more comments here and I'll share what I experience with the courage ya'll gave me. 😊

Hey, Alorob29!

This is awesome, really! Thank you for sharing and looking forward to reading about your walk today!

When I posted this, I almost immediately got out and I got a bit lazy to share an update, so here it is.

It was about 10 PM and as usual, there were some people heading somewhere, and while I was blending, I remember I had to check a few messages on my phone. I took it out of my bag and while staring at my phone, I started walking. In a minute, I realized I am heading actually nowhere, just walking, and I didn't even thought about it, while I was looking at my phone. Then I took a quick peek around just to see some people were randomly looking at me, but unlike the usual "surprised pikachu face"-type stare, these were lasting a moment. My immediate thought was: oh, come on now, how come this never occurred to me?! This is maybe the most common thing chicks do, especially if it is late! I felt as a complete idiot, and the next moment I was already "speaking over the phone", by just talking to it, of course.

Walked like a model on a podium - talking and talking, I didn't care. No one even noticed my presence while I was "on the phone" or more like I didn't pick that up. I got directly through our local square, usually I get the darker part, this time I got straight under the lights, there were maybe 15 people around - some couple, the guy was arguing about something, the chick calmed him down, another one was yelling over the phone, another guy was trying to calm his kid down, an older couple just sitting there, anyway - I just dropped my butt on an empty bench and started smoking a cigarette. Few guys passed by me, only one of them took a good look at me, I also looked at him, and I smiled at him, while I was "talking". Nothing. No surprised faces, no reactions, actually - it was exactly if I was dressed up normally as a man. I then smoked another cigarette and I realized almost an hour has passed. My walks usually last 30 minutes, and I am alert all the time, but now it was different. No alerts, no concerns, I was diving deep into my thoughts (I talked to myself over the phone, to be honest, regarding some actual issues ) I just had to pee, I got cold, so I did another 15 mins walk around the block to get back home (and to get warm) and that was it. I wasn't "safely at home", I was just at home.

I'll try this again tonight, hopefully it can turn into a date, actually, so we can walk around as a couple, I don't know yet.

The thing is, everyone cares while you care. I might say I had a form of anxiety as a guy, which got busted on my second venue (yeah, I used to play in a band), so I just used the same method for the gal and it worked. The friend trick, the phone trick or whatever other trick only helps hardening our self-confidence, it's not a must-have, just a good-to-have. It helped me out, I hope it can help out someone else, too, but remember - there's no all-in-one solution, you will create one for you by learning.

One serious concern I have about what you said, Alorob29, and it is the aggression you mentioned. I don't know where you're from and what kind of people you may have to deal with, or what the local law enforcement status is, so please be careful with such persons. Lesser minds will always claim they know better, so you being a CD, TG or whatever is just wrong for them, and you must be "fixed", hence their lesser minds. I had issues for being a long-haired metalhead in my youth, so the same is valid for any other kind of stuff they can't process (being one now only causes respect). If you have, say, two bodybuilders with you, it would be different (), but it's hard to achieve, yeah... Anyway, there are fully legal and smart ways to quickly defend yourself, and women around here are actually being advised to do so, just in case.

Damn, it's getting late and I haven't prepped myself yet! Gotta go, and I'm waiting for your experience to share, love! I wish you have a lot of fun!

Regards
    Grace

Although I'm a GG, I've been out with my SO enough to say this: When you first go out, your inclination is to LOOK for a reaction from others. This sometimes makes you look suspicious. (Eyes darting around, walking like you have done something wrong, etc). Of course, be alert about your surroundings but don't act like you are expecting people to look at you. I'm sure it is hard to do. You have as much right to be out as anyone else. Just enjoy.

Hey Thatgirl417, I see you are in the Missouri area. I have been dressed up in St Louis twice this year and had a blast at the Rehab bar there. I met GG's who were very friendly and we had a LOT of fun. One had me dancing with her, and trying to get me to do these twerking moves. We had so much fun and I was getting big hugs. So even though you will be greatly stressed at first, you just have to trust that at least someone is going to be nice enough to you to make it all worth the effort. Then the stress level goes WAY down and you can relax and have a good time. I just smile or make some comment about liking someone's skirt or shoes,etc, and that's about all it takes to break the ice.

Sandi

Hey Grace

Thabk you for sharing your stories. It's almost as if it where me hahaha.

Regarding the aggression, I'm form. M?xico city, it's actually pretty progressive, I'm actually going to a famous gay bar that has many drag queens going to. However, Mexico is pretty misogynistic and of course there is a lot of lack of education. And law enforcement isn't a thing to really trust as they sometimes are corrupt. So yeah, it's not the best scenario but at least is something that can be done with some degreerl of confidence.

I'll be sharing my experience when done. Right now, getting all ready for tonight... 💄👠👙💅😊

I actually went to a makeup session. Two of them. First session in a "beauty parlor" with 20 GGs (mixture of clientellle and makeup artists). Second one I was full on enfemme. Same venue (beauty parlor) but smaller crowd, only about 10 GGs (clients and makeup artists).

Second session I was fully dolled up. Wig, skirt, blouse, etc. No one flinched. All very supportive. Got compliments on my outfit.

As I watched my male facial features vanish, I started to see my feminine features come out. I looked at myself in a mirror and started to see a woman.

As I drove home I felt I had to put this to the test. I decided to walk through a busy mall on the way home. I won't bore you with the details (I've shared this before), but I was scared shitless.

It started out bumpy but I pursued and everything was fine. Walked a busy mall with no real bad issues. Certainly no pitch forks and torches. All was good. It was a real confidence builder, but that's also not to say subsequent outings were' scary.

Been out several time since and never a bad experience. Many surprising ones. Truly enchanting outings, each and every one.

Get out there. Stand up to the world and say "this is who I am, deal with it". It's surprising how accommodating it is.
    Last edited by sweetdreams; 11-03-2019 at 11:10 PM.
    Why fit in when you were born to stand out? - Dr. Suess

Just to add in ... sale associates in women's boutique stores tend to be the most caring, hippest, and supportive and happy to help people I've met. I have not yet had the courage to go out (hell, no one has seen my dressed, even) ... I was lout yesterday with my transitioning daughter (only 5 months on estrogen) buying women's clothes with her the first time ever, and the SAs were some of the most amazing and delightful people I have ever encountered.

Sure, they are trying to make a sale, but they were genuinely so helpful with style tips and clothing picks I can't help but imagine they'd be anything but the same if I had walked in en femme, obviously not passing ... they'd have been happy to help and completely non-judgemental. Granted, this was in a major city and a funky part of town ... but still, nice to see it happen.
    Closeted for 45 years, so please take any advice I might offer with a massive dose of reality.
    Julia xo

My first real outing was to a gay bar to see a drag show. Yes I was scared shitless and in hindsight it was the safest place I could have been at the time. It took me 5 or 6 outings to start feeling comfortable in my own skin. Once I realized that things were ok and that I felt confident in my presentation it got much easier. Also, most people are so self absorbed in their day to day lives that they really don't notice you unless you are doing something outrageous. I just try to wear something that looks "put together" and do the best with what I have. Everyone I have interacted with as Jackie has treated me at minimum with acceptance and respect. The people I interact with at stores are amazing and supportive. I now live as Jackie about 85% of the time and couldn't be happier. My spouse is also very supportive. Good Luck!

Hey girls. As promised, I've made a thread telling the experience of my first time out. It's a long post so I will copy the link if you'd like to read it.
    If any girl has a question or want some kind of advice, message me,ill more than gladly reply and help
    Anyway, here is the link https://www.crossdressers.com/forums...68#post4405568
    Just have confidence and trust and the girl you've imagine will be crossing your fears. 😊😉
    Xoxo