Thread: Male breast cancer

Male breast cancer

Men can get breast cancer too. I've had a tenderness on my left breast just above my nipple. I told my pcp about it and she scheduled an ultrasound. The results showed some concerns and I'm now scheduled for a mammogram on the 4th of Nov. I want to encourage all my sisters here to do regular breast exams as male breast cancer is very real. I went for diagnostic testing early and hope there isn't any malignancy. I'll try to keep you posted. Billie Jean

Billie Jean, Yes men can get breast cancer so it does pay to be aware. Good luck with everything and I hope it turns out to be nothing.
    Crissy

Yes, men can get breast cancer! My endo said I should do breast exams regularly but my insurance won't pay for a mammogram on a male until they are at least 70! Sad in this country! Best wishes Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Lana you should still do manual exams monthly. As a retired nurse I agree this country needs a health care system for all. Billie Jean
    Last edited by Billie Jean; 10-26-2019 at 05:19 PM.

If a breast mass is found in either sex, insurance will generally pay for proper investigation to include mammograms regardless of age. Hope it turns out to be a lymph node.

I know that while I was on Spiro for Heart issues, I had what I was concerned about as Male Breast Cancer at the time. Thankfully when it was checked it turned out as a side affect of the Spiro. Best of luck.

Yes, men can get breast cancer. And age is not a barrier either. A buddy of mine in high school, at the age of 16, found a lump in his chest. Fortunately, a biopsy indicated it to be non-malignant, but they did still remove the lump.

Sill waiting to hear my results from the mammogram. The radiologist kept ordering different views and even had them to magnify the shots. the tech told me they didn't take pictures of the unaffected side but the radiologist ordered them for something to compare to. The anticipation is wearing on me. Billie Jean

Where I live, its normally three to five business days before the referring physician hears from radiology.

Billie Jean, I hope this all works out for you. Try not to think too much (I know it's hard) about the tech taking extra angles and zooming in. They do this to make sure they have enough pictures to make an accurate determination.

Good news is that it doesn't appear to be malignant but there is a spot. They want me to follow up in 6 months. Billie Jean

That is wonderful news, Billie Jean.
    I am a vessel of the goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.

Billie Jean,

It is scary to be diagnosed with any kind of cancer. I am currently in the middle of treatment for prostate cancer. It has been an adventure, but after 3 months of treatment I definitely feel stronger. I am a long ways from "normal" but compared to the way I felt in June, a month before starting treatment, it is wonderful to be like I am. Those early days in late May when waiting for the results of the biopsy (it seemed to take forever) were difficult. I kept hoping for the best while trying to set myself up for some really bad news. The news was not good but it could have been much, much worse. The superficial indications didn't reflect the seriousness of the final diagnosis and that diagnosis surprised my urologist and myself. My PSA should have been more like a 10 based and the extent of the cancer but was only 5.5.

FOR ALL MALES - If there are other indications of possible cancer but your PSA is still only moderately elevated, trust the indications and not the PSA. The PSA is just another indicator and in some people, like me, it is not a good indicator.

No malignancy is wonderful news. I imagined all kinds of scenarios that scared myself needlessly. I have found that getting through the treatment is easiest if you live in the present - one day at a time - and always try very hard to stay positive about it all. Fortunately you won't have testosterone suppression. Talk about an adventure, that is definitely one. But through it all I kept looking at the bright side of that: it is necessary to get well; it is a learning experience and something that not a lot of males ever experience; and if, by some strange and rare circumstances, testosterone never comes back then it will be an opportunity to expand Gretchen's wardrobe. Of course, the details of that happening are a bit more complicated than that, but thinking that way really helps keep you moving along in whatever treatment you might face 6 months from now.

During this "wait and see period" make sure you monitor your own condition as closely as possible and if there are any sudden changes get back to the doctor immediately. Precancer and cancer behavior is not very predictable and it is highly personalized. Eat the best diet you can and keep yourself in good health. It will pay you back many times over no matter what the future brings.

My heart goes out to you and I wish all the best for your future. It is a difficult time waiting but keep your head on straight and don't forget to have some fun during this period.

XOXO,

Gretchen

Gretchen, Thanks for such a good informative post that we can all learn from. I always say, If GretchenM talks, I listen, this is certainly no exception.
    Crissy

Gretchen I'm relieved at the results. I'm a retired nurse and monitor my health closely. It was due to self exams that I found the lump and had it checked by my PCP. I regularly do self checks for testicular cancer too. Billie Jean

Hi again - Great to hear you are a professional in the health field. That will help in the event this development heads off into Mordor and you feel like Frodo and Samwise on a mission. One of my care team who is a doctor had prostate cancer and he said the reality of having it is difficult even when you are well versed in what is going on. If you do go into the land of Mount Doom and need to talk with someone, let me know. Maybe I can provide a bit of support.

I see you live in Tennessee. I lived in Memphis for 4 years while in the Navy. So, we do have tiny bit of connection.

We are retired and travel in our rv during summer cause it is WAY TOO HOT in south Texas during summer

We were in Arizona and I felt a lump in my left breast. I didn?t say anything to wife because we had doctor appointment in a month or so

We went to the doctor told her about the lump
    She sent me immediately for a mamogram

Fortunately it was not cancer and after about a year it disappeared.

However it was pure hell waiting for the results

Silver Member
    I had a swelling behind my right nipple. My doc ordered a mammogram. I was the only guy in the waiting room. Some ladies smiled at me as if to say, "he'll find out how much it hurts." The squeeze was tight all right but not terrible (small boobs?). The tech did the left one too for contrast. Not cancer, thankfully.

Aspiring Member
    I will do a breast exam next time I shower

Platinum Member
    Hi Billie Jean , It is great that you caught it early on. >Orchid ..++..
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Billie Jean, it's good to hear that the issue is not very serious for now. I think you know that any observable changes require an opinion from a MD.

Gretchen, you write like you're a medical professional if not a medical doctor.