Thread: A different kind of "passing"...

A different kind of "passing"...

So here I am in drab at a local mall running a few errands, when I happen to go by the Marshalls store located there. I hadn't been in there in a while, and on a whim, I decided to pop in.

I started by checking out their new selection of fall purses (my new passion, but nothing there that appealed to me), moved on to the shoe section (the selection there was pretty lame), and I finally ended up at the dresses. Again, pretty slim pickings in my size, but there was that ONE jumper-style dress that caught my eye...heavier, winter-weight material, gray with large checks, scoop neck, 3/4 length sleeves, and it looked to be below-the-knee - even for my 5'10" height. Heck, it even had pockets! Even better, it was on sale for $24.99. "Sold", I sez to myself...but here is where the fun begins.

As I said earlier, I was in drab and on home turf, so I didn't want to risk asking to try it on in the event that somebody I knew would spot me and have that create an awkward moment (Yeah! Murphy's Law and all that). Still, I'm a pretty good judge when it comes to women's clothing sizes at this point, and this one looked as if it would fit just fine. However, as I reach the checkout counter, I realize that this was actually meant to be a belted dress, but that this belt was no longer there. Being an experienced shopper, though, my gut reaction then was to ask for a discount to compensate for this missing piece. The cashier seemed to be O.K. in principle with this request and turned to her nearby manager for approval. He first offered to try to find a replacement from among some odds and ends in a bin under the counter, but this was to no avail. He then offered a $5 discount instead, which I gladly accepted (no problem - I have plenty of spare women's belts at home). So, after about 15 minutes of this back-and-forth at the cash involving a guy haggling over a woman's dress in full view of a line of increasingly impatient GG's forming behind him (Oh, the irony...LOL! ), I was on my way...or so I thought.

Turns out that in all the confusion, both the manager and the cashier had forgotten to remove the security tag on the dress, a fact which was loudly brought to the attention of both myself and the entire store as I attempted my exit. I immediately turned back, only to find myself face-to face with an SA who had been hovering nearby. Now this SA was something special...an attractive, stylish, trim, blonde 40-something GG with her hair done up in an edgy bob. She was also wearing an animal print top, black leggings, and matching animal print booties with about a 2" heel. In other words, pretty "hip", and not your typical suburban soccer mom...or Marshalls employee either, for that matter.

This SA was very friendly, realized right away that I had been the victim of a mistake, and apologized profusely for the error. Best part was...as we were walking back to the checkout counter to fix the problem and she was pulling the dress out of its bag to find the errant security tag, I mentioned to her that the cash receipt was in it as well to prove that it was a legitimate purchase. Being "hip" as she was, she then gave me a flirty sideways glance along with a mischievous smile, and said, "Oh, that's alright...you don't look like the type of man who would be stealing a woman's dress". And here I am, dying inside, inwardly laughing and thinking to myself "If only you knew...maybe not stealing it, but wearing it...?" ) Of course, my public and equally smiley, deadpan response was "Good to know...", which she also chuckled at. Once that was out of the way, she continued on by praising me for my great taste in choosing this as a gift for the mysterious "her", commenting how nice it would look with black tights or leggings and pair of black tall boots, which I wholeheartedly agreed with (waaay ahead of you on that one, sweetheart ).

So yes, a different kind of "passing" I suppose, and a funny, uplifting kind of interaction with a GG SA on an otherwise boring and dreary Saturday afternoon.

Funny story!! Lots happened there.

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    Great story! I love your confidence, Leslie.
    Life is too short to be boring.

Loved reading your post. Kinda sounds like fun , I usually enjoy interacting with sale people. Thanks for sharing.

Leslie, What a great shopping experience! You showed your confidence and everything worked out very nicely.
    Crissy

And I bet you didn't even turn a little red did you.
    Angie

What a fun story... I'm not sure that I would have played it off so cooly...

Banned Read only
    Marvelous experience. Hearing positive stories like that makes a day more enjoyable.

Leslie, great story.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Banned Read only
    Hate those store security tags. Nice interaction all around.

Aspiring Member
    I can only imagine if the security tag problem happened to an inexperienced CD on her home turf. It would take her quite awhile to recover. Fortunately, both you (and I) have enough shopping time under our belts to survive and prosper.

All this fun, even outfit ideas from the SA, and no photo?

Aspiring Member
    Don't forget that starting about now it is Christmas shopping season and you can get away with buying a lot more with out question- if that matters to you. Sherrii

I bought some panties once that had securitu chip insie the waist band which you cut off when you get home, I did know mine nhad this chip and the next time I went in I happened to be wearing these panties going through the check out on the way out off went the beeper, I knew the lass on the desk very well so showed her basically I had nothing but said maybe its my underwear do you wanrt me to undress, she laughed and off I went when I got home I saw the cut off tag and removed it I did not know chips were sewn into garments for removal after paying.
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

I just moved back to the northwest where I grew up. I have been shopping at a local chain grocery where they apparently aren't issued the tools for removing those tags. When the thing buzz they just say 'You're OK, go on through!". Where I lived before, it would have alerted 50 security guards.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

Whenever I buy a dress that includes a belt, the belt is way too small . I might have told the SA that I'll be wearing the dress myself.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder