Thread: Had a close call

Had a close call

I was running errands on friday morning wearing skinny Jean's, hoodie, nails done in matte navy med length(press on). Earrings, bangles, choker, rrings and a cute stripey headband. As I walked to the back of the home improvement store I saw a dad from one of my kids sports teams. I am pretty sure he didn't see me. I just kept on shopping but was a bit nervous.

On a positive note. As I checked out the cashier was new in training with someone working with her. Their nails were both done very cutley. She kept apologizing for being new. I reassured her it was ok and that she was doing great. She relaxed a bit and complimented my nails and asked to see one of my rings. The trainer got in on the conversation too. We had a great time.

P.S. I am loving being more feminine.

Jenn

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    That's always been a concern of mine, as I coached little league football. Great job going undetected!
    Life is too short to be boring.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I don't dress close to home. My daughter was on so many sports teams in school. All those kids, moms, and dads!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Must be awful to live in fear of who "might "see you.
    Don't know if I could stand to not be me.
    If you go out dressed as a regular thing chances are more than one person you know has seen you.

I have been seen by two neighbours now, possibly more if they look out of windows a lot, but it was dark and they payed no attention whatsoever. I dont think they clicked.
    Well, so far as i could tell and they say hello as normal when im in guy mode.

If you're so worried about being outed, why do you tempt fate? Just curious......
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    Must be awful to live in fear of who "might "see you.
    Don't know if I could stand to not be me.
    If you go out dressed as a regular thing chances are more than one person you know has seen you.
    It is, Tracii. You are correct about being seen, too. One revelation from my ex outing me was that I found out that some people had known to one extent or another for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Joni T View Post
    If you're so worried about being outed, why do you tempt fate? Just curious......Jon
    Logic does not apply to any of this. We tempt fate every time we go out. That does not mean you should stay in.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    The person that has the biggest issue is yourself Jenn.
    I do understand your fears tho' because I had to get over that hurdle myself.

I know that when I eventually cross the threshold dressed it will be a risks versus rewards situation. Between my coworkers, my customers, and my church, I know a lot of people. I somewhat regularly run into people I know or who recognize me. So the odds of me being outed while not favorable are still real. So I have to admit the fear is real and genuine. Especially since my workplace is a seething sea of ignorant blue collar testosterone.

Silver Member
    I've been 2,000 miles from home and ran into someone who knew me. So you never know. Also took a flight between two cities unrelated to where I lived or worked only to have someone I knew be siting two rows behind me. Distance doesn't always mean safety.

Same thing has happened to me. You are right.
    You are you. You are beautiful. Labels are worthless.

I was at a professional meeting over 2000 mi from home. There were over 20,000 participants at the meeting spread across many hotels. One afternoon, I dressed completely and went for a walk. At one point, I came around a corner and found myself almost face to face (30 ft away) from a colleague from my home town who knew me extremely well, but nothing about Mary. As much as I liked him as a friend, he had a crude sense of humor and loved to spread stories. No way could I take a chance. Fortunately, his attention was on two folks who were with him, so I turned around and went the other direction, just increasing the distance between us before I crossed the street and continued my walk.

Cool it nice enjoying a day out.
    Angie

I think if you go out locally, you will run a big risk of running into someone that knows you, especially if you live outside of a big city. I live in a town of probably 150,000 people. I know many people where I live because I've lived there for many years. I have literally walked by several people who know me at different stores . Most don't seem to notice that its me, but some have and it's been awkward. Perhaps its the deep need in me to "come out" . That's the chance I take and I'm well aware that I could be "made" as to who I actually am. I guess the point I'm trying to make is if you're going to go out, it's a chance you're going to have to take. At my age, I pretty much don't care what people think of me. If they can read me through the makeup and clothes, so be it. I don't "advertise" it but I don't deny it either. I'll own it and I have. As you can read from the other posts made here, some of us are thousands of miles away and see people we know. I think deep down, many of us WANT to be able to express our femininity freely and be who we are. We subconsciously want to be "caught" .

Quote Originally Posted by Joni T View Post
    If you're so worried about being outed, why do you tempt fate? Just curious......
    Jon
    I understand not everyone feels the same, but I love the taboo aspect.

I was 250 miles from home vacationing with my family so I was in drab. It was Sunday and we happened to drive into a very industrial area along the Mississippi river with tug boats and a lot of neat equipment. We probably were not supposed to be there, private property most likely, but nobody was around beings it was Sunday. We stopped and got out of the car and were snooping around the docks looking at the tugs and equipment. We walked around a corner of a building and ran into a good friend on mine and his family that just happened to somehow end up at that place too. It was crazy how it was totally accidental for both of us, but there we were. We visited for a bit and went on our way.

My point being is you never know who you can run into and where. Just being miles from home is no guaranty.