Thread: First Time Shopping Dresssed

Liz

First Time Shopping Dresssed

So I took the plunge and finally went out shopping en femme. I have been out driving dressed and tried a few quick stops for gas and such but I wanted to try shopping. I ha e read many of the posts about shopping en femme and wanted to try it and being near Halloween I thought what a perfect opportunity.

I wore a beige sweater dress with beige nylons and a nice pair of strappy heels. Kind of dressy looking like just from the office outfit.

Went to a local mall and browsed in a couple of stores for dresses and then to my favourite shoe store. The SAs were fabulous and helped me out trying on a few pairs of shoes. Finally selecting a pair. There were SAs both young ladies and they didn?t blink an eye throughout the whole shopping experience.

One guy starred at me trying to figure out what he was looking at but he was the only one and not really an issue.

Can?t wait to go shopping again!

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Once you realize that no one even notices, you'll want more people to notice. Keep having fun with it.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Banned Read only
    I find that SAs are always helpful and supportive, especially when I'm dressed enfemme vs drab. Shopping enfemme can be one of the most fun experiences really. You get to play dress up and girls join in the fun to help you.

I was thinking that was something I've never done but technically I did once back in 2016. Stopped at two stores on a Sunday night when there were very few other shoppers around. I'll have to try it again sometime.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Well done

I'm glad you had such a good experience. A word of warning, it can be addictive!

Aspiring Member
    well done Liz, just wondering about the shoe store as i take Ladies size 12 and since payless closed it's hard to find shoes in my size

Excellent Elizabeth. It is always such fun.

Aspiring Member
    I am glad you had fun. Most people don't notice or don't care. Get out and have fun.
    Sara

Liz
    Giselle I?m fortunate that I wear a ladies size 10 or 11. I love Aldo shoes and their size 11 are a perfect fit for me. The shoes were even on sale for $24.99

I also agree with many of the comments that nobody notices or cares. Toronto is also a very open minded place and great for cds

Great job! Super Proud of you!

I would love to go shopping en femme. I have ventured out dressed to adult stores, parks and like your shorts stops. Still working on my look to be better passable as not to draw attention. Its great you were able to get do this.

Great story. In a lot of ways, no matter how we are dressed, we are all invisible to others when we are in public.

Elizabeth, Good for you. Enjoy the shoes.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Good for you! Isn't it fun?
    I shopped in drab for a very long time and then one day I just decided to go back to the store I had visited the day before and dress! Have done so from then on!
    Here's to more of the same! Take Kim"s advise and watch the budget! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Soooooo cool!

Silver Member
    Except for two coffee outings, my first shopping dressed was with my then mentor. We walked through an Albertson's super market so I could 'own it'. The second was after a red nailed mani and pedi. I felt great and went to a Joann's, Etc., bought one item. The cashier smiled and said thank you, ma'am, then I went onto a Target; walked the entire ladies section pushing a cart and bought a new bra. This time, the cashier said thank you, SIR; I didn't say anything, but later wished I had. The third outing was with my wonderful sister and we shopped at Ross Dress For Less.. Again, I pushed a cart with my purse in it, and asked my sister to move away from me and watch and see how other shoppers reacted to me. There were no noted reactions at all! I bought 2 dresses. The cashier gave me a big smile.

I've now not only 'owned it', but my high confidence level, dressed to blend, tells me I can do it any time I want, and all will be OK.

So happy you gained the confidence to get out there and own it. Enjoy the shoes.
    - Robin

Because life is too short not to.

It's ironic ... I finally found a group of guys I fit in with. Funny how they all enjoy being one of the girls.

Wife: Why do you fold your panties? Me: I don't like my panties in a wad!

I am happy for you keep moving forward. I would love to go out fully dressed to go shopping maybe one day.

Congrats and I know it’s fun the first few times, but IMO shopping en femme sucks! It’s pretty much guaranteed that fem clothes are way more of a pain to get into and out of than just jeans and a shirt. Plus you have to worry about getting makeup on the clothes you’re trying. It’s cute, but just not worth the effort for me these days lol.

I went to 3 car dealers fully dressed a week ago while shopping for a new suv (obviously)....have not been that nervous in years...i have been out for years but got thru it....in the end it was a positive experience...many times the "block" is in our own head about venturing out...

Here how many years? LeeAnnRose's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Micki_Finn View Post
    Congrats and I know it?s fun the first few times, but IMO shopping en femme sucks! It?s pretty much guaranteed that fem clothes are way more of a pain to get into and out of than just jeans and a shirt. Plus you have to worry about getting makeup on the clothes you?re trying. It?s cute, but just not worth the effort for me these days lol.
    Nicking, you pretty well nailed what I was thinking. The internet has been a friend so far, especially Amazon, Kohl?s, and Target for buying clothes. Jeans, skirts, shoes (good shiver), or a looser fitting top seem to be ok. The window shopping and just being out is half the fun. Way to get out there and own it Elizabeth!

Congrats on taking the first big step to being you.

XO
    Bree

It's great to hear you had such a nice shopping experience! Nowadays, I only shop for fem clothes when dressed en femme. I haven't had a bad experience yet.

Aside from putting on comfy girly socks to lounge around the house (which is very common this time of year for me), I only dress up when I have plans to get out and about. I came to a point a few years back when I noticed that the size of my wardrobe was growing faster than my opportunities to dress up and head out. That's when I told myself "if you're going to be buying the clothes, you need to be wearing them." With the few exceptions of buying accessories like hosiery and winter gloves in drab, I have only bought the clothes when I was dressed.

From my experience, I have found a few perks to shopping while dressed:
    1. I have a better perception of how the clothes are going to look on me when I have my padding and/or shape ware on. Also, my legs are not that attractive, so every skirt and dress looks better with tights.
    2. I find I am more accepted. People are more inclined to approach me and engage in conversation. Fellow customers make compliments on my outfits and makeup, or simply congratulate me on my "bravery" for being confident enough to leave the house dressed. SAs offer their help more often as well. Maybe, since my motives are obvious, I come off as less of a creepy guy and just simply an alternative lifestyle guy. I don't know, but whatever it is, it's a perk.
    3. Clothes shopping is yet another excuse to put on some nice clothes and get in touch with my feminine side.

All this being said, I have to admit, I have only worn my wig out 3 times in about the last 4 years. Taking the wig off and putting it back on repetitively was the most challenging part of trying on clothes. I felt it was impossible to get it looking as good as when I first left the house. I always felt like a hot mess leaving the dressing rooms. My short men's hair only takes a couple of swipes of brush and I'm on my way.