Many years ago as a couple then, we met here in our area an expat English couple with whom we visited and they us. When my ex dumped me suddenly in 2013 and just before, she went to them to say good bye and told them I had no intention of visiting them ( I had said no such thing) however fast forward to the present day, my life now is pleasant dressing on a daily basis, being warmly welcomed in my local shop, liked by my neighbours and by and large shunned by nobdy at all.
Near this expat couple I discovered an English butcher and on coming home one day I realised I was close to the friends. This was now 6-8 weeks ago and I discovered on going there that he had been in out of hospital with a whole host of problems and was about to go back, his wife does not drive, they have few friends so over the next six or so weeks twice a week sometimes I did 175Km round trip so she could see her husband and during this time I told her I dressed and so forth. A couple of weeks ago I learnt he was out of hospital and at home, getting on very well so this Tuesday I visited them dressed and this is when the fireworks took off!
I explained the why's and the wherefore's of our world and what made us tick not mentioning names of course, why I dressed, how I came to be the way I am and this is when things got tense, he told me he could accept lesbians and lesbian couples also gay men and gay couples he also said he could accept a lesbian couple either having or adopting a baby but could not accept a gay man couple doing the same and I countered this with wha'ts the difference between a child having two "mummy's or a child with two "daddies" again he would not accept this. Then it got political blaming politicains with the way we are now the worst was blaming Elton John for opening the flood gates for same sex marriage. My reasoning to him countering this was rejected totally out of hand! I was getting absiolutely nowhere and realised I was trying to change the opinion of a very narrow minded homophobic bigot.
For the most the conversation petered out to be replaced by trying to sort out his car which would not start, his French is next to non existent but I gave him what words he needed to call someone out and that is when he exploded! saying " you told me this and that and so forth" regarding the car, in the end I said I do not know any more, by this point he was red in the face with fury, stamped off to his computer room and I went to his wife, said I am going home and left.
I was totally shaken by all of this and for the first time experienced an almost hatred of the LGBT community as a whole if he had said anything more rude or derogitory I was more than ready to take legal action against him, Instead I will let him stew and he can go and find someone else to help him Thi is somethng I wil not stand up to being treated like this .
What happend is quite a contrast to the warm way I have been received in my hamlet, up in the village and the shops I go to, not to mention almost the whole population of French people round me who it seems are the more accepting of our way of life on a whole.