Thread: Dr William Powers was an eye opener

Dr William Powers was an eye opener

I just watched a video on his methodology for hormone replacement and I am gobsmacked. I am an Organic Chemist and have a excellent grasp of biochem. What he says not only makes scientific sense it is patently obvious after a review of the literature he presents. It has me rethinking my own approach to HRT and my cardiac issues.
    His method not only alleviates my main concerns re: cardiovascular health it is highly likely it can give protection from my main fears of DVT and visceral weight gain.
    His claims which he backs up of his results seem to speak for themselves.
    Have others here looked at his work and if so what are your thoughts?

Platinum Member
    do you have a link to his video?
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    do you have a link to his video?
    I hope this works I have not done board script in a minute 💁🏽*♀️
    https://youtu.be/fefu33e8O-0

Aspiring Member
    there’s a couple threads about it in the body issues subforum. i passed it along to my trans care doc last week for info. she wants me to get my e below 200, it’s around 230 at last check.

I love your signature. I could no longer face the world in the semi toxic male container I had built either so let Maria take the reigns. My life is ten thousand times better as a result

Quote Originally Posted by Mariabella View Post
    ... What he says not only makes scientific sense it is patently obvious after a review of the literature he presents.
    I am not a chemist, so can not speak to the chemistry's _possible_ efficacy, but I do know something about what makes for valid medical research. So...

Again, what Powers has put forth is not literature, as in documentation of hypothesis, methodology, and results, submitted to and reviewed by suitably credentialed peers. All Powers has offered is an admittedly intriguing hypothesis and a collection of anecdotes.
    Last edited by Aunt Kelly; 11-04-2019 at 11:09 PM.

I think that transgender health is still in its infancy. Dr. Powers is a pioneer. Not only does he have 1500 transgender patients, but he is willing to consult with more on line. I am one who he graciously offered to give his opinion. I have been concerned that my E levels are way too low, my breast growth stopped after one year. My conservative endocrinologist thinks they are OK, as they are similar to a postmenopausal woman. After texting my medical history and blood test results, he wrote what E levels he tries to maintain for his tans women my age. So I upped my Estradiol patch and gel dose, and sure enough, my nipples began to hurt again. I am not a postmenopausal woman, I am a transitioning transgender women. In every area of medicine doctors have different opinions. It is up to us to chose the medical opinion we agree with. This is not self medication by any means.

he has a success rate/result that he can back with his records that is far better than other doctors and indeed while hypothetical it is highly intuitive regarding using pharmacokinetics that match endocrine function, something lacking in most western physicians. Given the track record on transgender health, indeed on research into transgenderism in general is so lacking. I applaud his logical assessment of research and observed data and is developing his own database of treatment. It is Dr like him and others who will take transition from ?barbershop medicine? to the art form of endocrinology it actually is

Wow... So medical science has advanced from science to an art form now. Thank you, but I believe that I will stick with good old fashioned science when shopping for medical care. Under that standard, Powers' claims are unsupported.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Kelly View Post
    Wow... So medical science has advanced from science to an art form now. Thank you, but I believe that I will stick with good old fashioned science when shopping for medical care. Under that standard, Powers' claims are unsupported.
    Your opinions are your own and I did ask for it so thank you for your opinion, the semi-snide way you put both your comments however are not welcome. Any science that reaches a point of understanding and a high degree of success control, to me becomes an art. Manipulating difficult reactions with an understanding of the majority of failure points is indeed an art. FWIW art and science are like Space-Time and inextricably entwined. Have a great day

Ok, folks. One person’s experience does not make a treatment valid. If it did, we would still be using water immersion to treat depression. After fifty years in the medical profession, I have seen a lot of disciples of an idea come and go, with some even writing books. Dr. Powers may be on the right tract, but his theories, and that is what they are, are not proven no matter how “logical” they sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura912 View Post
    Ok, folks. One person?s experience does not make a treatment valid. If it did, we would still be using water immersion to treat depression. After fifty years in the medical profession, I have seen a lot of disciples of an idea come and go, with some even writing books. Dr. Powers may be on the right tract, but his theories, and that is what they are, are not proven no matter how ?logical? they sound.
    his theories are basically hypotheses,based on solid logical thinking, but hypotheses, However his patient study base of 1500 clients is significant in that it is ongoing and positive with a near negligible adverse result rate. add his trans positive view and you get a picture of his work in which he uses existing but flawed information and corrects the flaws in what he is presenting. That is solid medicine opposed to adhering to a protocol that is flawed because it is SOP.
    I relate to him as he is the same type of MD as I was a synthetic chemist. Unless the literature makes complete sense it is suspect and being dejour in ones work and relying on flaws percieved for actionable work is a failure. My greatest successes all came from challenging orthodoxy not following it. That is how I view Dr Powers.
    How I view western medicine is admittedly jaded by their failures and cattle chute approach to medicine in general so I have prejudices of my own which factor here

oh, believers in "science", goodness me. Having been in pioneering r&d since 1979 i can have a say on that. At present it is a hypothesis, but the so-called quoted "science" would be horribly subjective in the case of something with so many degrees of freedom. The fact he has 1000's of happy customers with better breast growth and so forth speaks for itself - science in the end is about results.

anyway, welcome Mariabella, to our side of the forum, and say it as it is.

xxx Pam
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

Thank you Pamela. I think this kind of debate is nothing more than all of us have fundamentally different ways of viewing reality.

Some are very physical, or unless it can be seen smelled or touched, unless it has been through general consensus or general validation it is invalid

Others are intuitive and listen to the possibilities. And will work off a hunch that hold logical value despite orthodoxy.

Not talking about flat earth anti vax thinking just talking about logical intuitive research.

I think both thought modes have validity and are not entirely exclusive of each other

Quote Originally Posted by Mariabella View Post
    Your opinions are your own and I did ask for it so thank you for your opinion, the semi-snide way you put both your comments however are not welcome. Any science that reaches a point of understanding and a high degree of success control, to me becomes an art. Manipulating difficult reactions with an understanding of the majority of failure points is indeed an art. FWIW art and science are like Space-Time and inextricably entwined. Have a great day
    I'm sorry. Apparently I did not make myself clear enough. Let me be completely snide...
    Science is not a matter of opinion. It either is good science, or it's not. It doesn't even have to prove the hypothesis in order to be good science, as long as the proper approach is followed. The aim is repeatable results. Powers has never conducted a properly constructed study and published so that others can verify the science. Again, he has published a series of unverified anecdotes, nothing more. That is not how it's done. I would think that someone with the credentials you claim to have would know that.
    Calling bigotry an "opinion" is like calling arsenic a "flavor".

Aspiring Member
    Well I for one sure am glad there’s someone out there enforcing a degree of scientific rigor to the discussions on Crossdressers.com - the #1 community for cross dressers, their family and friends.

Aspiring Member
    Hi Mariabella,

I learned about Dr. Powers from someone here, maybe Nikki, but I certainly went on for the first time on Reddit when Nikki has posted a link to the discussion on his approach. Of course I watched the video several times. It was very timely information for me. My Endo's approach was similar to his in a way that he believed that it would be possible to achieve the right levels in my case without spiro. I started on patches and then a year and 3 months in, added micrconized progesterone, and in August, I switched to injections. So it is not that far off from Dr. Powers approach. I was a bit intrigued by high levels of Estrogen Dr. Powers advocating and using progesterone rectally. I asked my Endo about Powers and my endo said that he prefers to stick close to the guidance of the endocrine society. I didn't argue or objected because to me all I have done so far, was not really contradicting what Powers said.

I do want to add that I truly admire Dr. Powers for his commitment to improve the transgender healthcare. I do find him a bit too optimistic and it does look like he tries and learn by using his patients like guinea pigs so to speak, so I am not sure how I feel about it. One way or another, we all take risks, but his dosages and levels make me not too comfortable. I also want to add, that Dr. Powers despite being extremely busy with his practice, is still active on Reddit and he accepts a valid concerns and critique, and he is about to publish his Version 6 of the power point where he would addressed some of the concerns. I was very humbled, to receive his reply on Sunday, only few hours later, when I asked him about his recommendations for frequency of injections because unlike other medications, he omitted it in his presentation. So I thought at least, it is a reasonable feedback, because he talked about pharmokinetics of estrogen in pills forms. I started on once every 7 days. I experienced a high E at the peak (~3.5 days after injection), and really low E at the trough (7 days after injection), and one time, even had depressed mood and hot flash on the 7th day. He confirmed that with his patients, he recommends injections every 5 days, while keeping dosage low. I spoke to my Endo about it and he agreed. i was on once every 5 day injections for about a month. I just had my blood work done last week and today to re-confirm the numbers and compare to results once every 7 days. However, I already received my trough numbers and my E is much higher than what it was on the 7th day. I don't experience "bad mood" or hot flashes, and I think I will be able to stick to this frequency. The point is, Dr. Powers did reply to my e-mail, and commented on my test result observations. Again, I was very humbled by this experience and as expected, said thank you and many other kind words. However, just checked one of his recent post, and apparently, some folks really tried to abuse his willingness to help as he posted here: https://www.reddit.com/r/DrWillPower...ages_on_other/
    I look forward to review his upcoming changes to the guidance. At a minimum, it is a good data point.
    Last edited by Katya@; 11-06-2019 at 11:10 PM.

Katya, thank you so much for posting the link to Dr. Powers on Reddit. I was one who had contact within him months ago before he was overwhelmed with inquires. I am very grateful that he helped me, and I will not bother him again. As someone else wrote, it does expose the great need there is for caring, innovative doctors in transgender health. The same is true in my country. We have very few endocrinologists providing HRT, but I for one am grateful that we are now recognized and have care!

]I'm sorry. Apparently I did not make myself clear enough. Let me be completely snide...
    Science is not a matter of opinion. It either is good science, or it's not. It doesn't even have to prove the hypothesis in order to be good science, as long as the proper approach is followed. The aim is repeatable results. Powers has never conducted a properly constructed study and published so that others can verify the science. Again, he has published a series of unverified anecdotes, nothing more. That is not how it's done. I would think that someone with the credentials you claim to have would know that.[/QUOTE]

I asked for opinions and you are shoving yours bully style out as the only valid opinion 😂 You don?t like Powers his methods and you think your petty gods of orthodoxy back you up. That is fine. Since you are not a physician your opinion is FAR less credible than the Drs and you belligerent attitude belies an underlying insecurity, since snide seems to be the default here.
    Have a nice day hon. Rest easy knowing you put the new bitch in her place 💁🏽*♀️😘

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Katya and Dorit, I do think besides that he gets statistically significant results based on his patient data. That he is vested in our health as well as our successful transition is a missing link in transgender healthcare and too often our dysphoria just a medical commodity. Granted my own experience is colored by going through ?therapy? in the early seventies ( barely got out intact) and multiple assumptions based on ?rigorous science? that were bullshit.
    So when a person stands on the orthodoxy soap box I kind of laugh sadly at them for believing scientific consensus is equal to truth. Results repeated across multiple test beds are a more solid truth than many ?well funded $$? and ?peer reviewed? projects bought by corporate interests or we would not have had the running list of pharmacological failures old Sokolov is getting rich from. So again as I said before in so many words. Don?t throw baby out with the bath water because you don?t like baby😂😂😂💁🏽*♀️😘
    Last edited by Mariabella; 11-07-2019 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Miscopied

There needs to be tolerance and respect for other people’s opinions.

This thread is closed.
    Last edited by Jeri Ann; 11-07-2019 at 09:03 AM.