Thread: Finally started HRT

Finally started HRT

After more than a year in counseling and over 50 of denial, today I had my first T-blocking pill and first estradiol patch. I don?t expect many outward changes (which initially is not that bad since I?m not out at work, nor socially) but hope to get some inner peace with myself. The endo and the hospital psychologist were very supportive indicating that they thought my case was ?very clear?. My social circles are quite conservative as is my job, which is quite high profile (what is going on with me is unheard of around these circles)
    Unfortunately my wife is not supportive at all. I guess she hates how the world would look at her.
    Oh well, step by step, excited and frightened at the same time...

Congratulations on a first step toward being yourself! I too spent fifty years fighting my "perversion" until the world caught up with people like ourselves. I too came out in a conservative social circle and and ended up losing almost all of my "friends." By the way, you might be surprised by early outward changes after starting HRT, I was. While for me it was a delight, with an encouraging wife, I understand it might bring to a head the conflict your wife has over it. Christina, this is not for the faint hearted. You must have a lot of courage. I admire you!

Carolina, I'm happy for you and I expect as many here you can feel the happiness and peace of mind that pretty soon are the first symptom of HRT that in my case, more the physical changes we can dream and pursue, was the more important, female hormones, as the element missing in our bodies to bring a more balanced life with the gender with really identify yourselves.
    Don't hesitate to ask for any doubt. I'm still a baby compared with others here, that have years, because I'm just in the month 18 on HRT and for the same I have fresh memories of symptoms and feelings.
    PM if you need and have more personal questions.

Wish you the best in this stage of the journey.

Devi
    Last edited by Devi SM; 11-12-2019 at 02:43 AM.
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

Congratulations. You have maybe two years before you can no longer hide it at work. I'd have recommended facial electrolysis before the HRT, with the benefit of hindsight.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

Aspiring Member
    I too recommend to start electrolysis now. I started it 2 years ago simultaneously with HRT. I am in the final stretch and I have no shadow left. It is much easier to do it under the radar in the male mode rather than in female mode as you have to let the hair grow before appointments to be not to short, not too long. Also, all the skin irritation, especially earlier on, is not fun to show but OK when you present as a guy.
    Last edited by Katya@; 01-21-2020 at 09:42 PM. Reason: added missing word

What Katya says is dign of be considered. I'm in HRT for 18 months, living as full time and I have every monday 2 hours of electro... so I don't shave the weekend but i can't go out thise days, then my monday session is first time morning. Ince the electrologist moved my apartment. To afternoon so I had to wear the while morning one of those medical masks, not fun.
    At the same time, not sure about this, HRT makes your skin thinner and slower healing, what I'm certain I that testosterone increases pain resistance so when the Tblocker makes you less resistant to pain. In my case there had had some really painful areas, not sure if this would be less painful before HRT.
    Last edited by Devi SM; 11-12-2019 at 11:34 AM.
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

Congratulations, Carolina. One of the toughest decisions a person can make. I wish you the best going forward as you navigate your future with your wife.
    Jinny
    Jinny

OH yes I feel the same as you Excited and frightened at the same time. I just started putting color on my nails, I had gotten color for pedicures for over 20 years now. and I grew finger nails longer for a more feminine shape. Have yet to get a full set , my natural nails are longer and almond shaped now.. I don't care what people say about my nails I like them!!

Congratulations, Carolina. The first step is the hardest and it gets better each day. My daughter has been on HRT now since last summer and she was really fortunate to start feeling happy and herself (finally!) almost immediately. Even if you do lose some friends in the journey, many more new and truer ones will be there for you. Take care, Carolina, and have fun on your amazing true journey.
    Closeted for 45 years, so please take any advice I might offer with a massive dose of reality.
    Julia xo

any updates on how you feel now that you started HRT!!!

Silver Member
    Congratulations. It's a big step.
    Lea

Another congratulations. Now you can enjoy the hormone train to a new and hopefully better destination/life for you.

Thank you all!

Two and a half months later I guess my biggest change is the decrease in dysphoria, to a surprisingly low point. Although for a variety of reasons (a combination of a lot of international travel and family around) I have not been able to show who I really am, at least thinking that HRT is working its way up into my body makes me feel very happy that I am making some progress.

Physically I do feel some pain in my breasts, more so if something touches them and more when hugging people (in Spain we tend to hug a lot). It is the right pain for me, happy to feel it. In terms of physical changes, I feel small hardened masses (smallish chickpea sized) at the tip of the breasts, barely noticeable from outside.

I have been having laser on my beard for 18 months now and finally it is starting to show some progress. I shave (I hate even the term) every other day now, and the most I get are white hairs only (which means laser is finally working). I have not found yet an electrologist that is recommended, so I am still waiting for that. I also laser my armpits and chest and is working quite well. For my legs I am using an epilator hoping that at some point HRT would thin out the hairs... not yet happening, and I keep drawing blood from many hair roots when epilating, another painful yet gratifying exercise..

My wife goes berserk every time she sees my estrogen patches and continues threatening that she will leave the minute I show some physical changes. That is definitely not going in the right direction.

I am looking forward to my blood tests next week (after a trip to the States this weekend) to check my T and E levels! Excited about that!

Hugs to all (despite the slight pain...)

Carolina

Go Carolina! Good to see you?re finally doing this.

Buy yourself a philips Lumia and you can do laser treatment at home! Best purchase of my life.

Hugs back to to you only gently gently! (Mine are still growing and hurt from time to time and when hugging!) Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Carolina, I suggest you encourage your wife to attend a spousal TG support group and/or TG couples counselling --that might be a good start. You have to admit that this is a lot for a gal to deal with. This might best be done when you travel stateside. Particularly if it is something you do periodically. A little education goes a long way. Resolving your wife's understandable uneasiness will allow you to better enjoy and embrace your long awaited physical changes.
    Wishing you well!
    Marie