Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just a thought

just a thought

If the clothing industry would push skirts for men would you rear a skirt in public I think would after all I have long hair and both ears pierced.
    Angie

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Yep, I'm pretty much in that camp. I really couldn't care less about men's fashion. In jeans and t-shirt man mode, I'm definitely emulating male. And it's for comfort not fashion.
    And I'm pretty sure that's what is really attractive.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

No, unless I wanted to get mulleted to a pulp.

I NEVER go bare-legged! Kimberly A.'s Avatar
    It's a possibility that I would.... Idk if this has been brought up in this forum, but there are companies who manufacture hosiery specifically for men. There's Activskin and also Comfort4Men, to name two. LOL So why not skirts for men? I mean after all, there are kilts that of course, look very similar to skirts and pretty much have the same function as a skirt, although some kilts are like "utility kilts" or something like that..... Something I've only heard of. LOL

Aspiring Member
    There is a guy round our way who wears a skirt/kilt all the time. Haven?t seen him for a while but I understand he was in one of the Scottish Regiments and wore a kilt all the time and got used to it and reckons it was more comfortable than trousers. Both times I saw him he was wearing a version of a kilt, grey, with pockets on each side.
    Would I? If it became more acceptable to the general public, why not?
    Vikky
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adventure before dementia

I have a hiking kilt that I have worn on exercise walks in parks, but mainly on the trails in the Rockies. OMG it is such a great way to go when on a hike. Keeps one cool. But don't do it in a cactus desert or where there are a lot of mosquitoes. Reactions? Curiosity but no negative comments.

What would I do if men's skirts appeared on the racks at Target? I would look and consider. Would I buy and wear one? Depends on the conclusion after looking and considering. I am open to most anything, but whether I take to it depends on my own standards and not trends or styles in the social world. I suspect such clothing would be styled in some masculine way and would not be men's skirts in a women's style. In the West it is rare to see men wearing anything other than pants and that trend has invaded many other parts of the world where not long ago most men wore something that basically amounted to a sack with arm and head holes. So, it is instructive to sometimes look beyond the world of Western fashions and customs and see what is worn in other parts of the world.

Angie, I have a dress kilt and a utility kilt, but don't consider them skirts.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

This has been tried before and crashed and burned.

I remember seeing a "MovieTown News" from the 1930's showing new fashion trends. Women were shown modeling trousers. Katherine Hepburn was doing this out in Hollywood.

Meanwhile there was also some poor shmuck (getting paid of course) modeling men's skirts and other fashions. Never heard of that one again.

Nope, I don't think this is going to fly for quite some time if ever.

Would I wear one in male mode? No, ain't my thing.

I join with Kim.
    I'm not a MIAD. I don't do this because I love the clothes, although I do love the clothes.
    This is self-expression. I express the femininity that is a major part of my being and personality.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

To answer the question. Sure I already do some times and have for years. And there are already mens skirts. They are called kilts. Yes all kilts are skirts but not all skirts are kilts. I have a kilt and I wear it I also wear skirts both in boy and girl models. I have not ever had any problems from poeple either way. There was some laughing and pointing before but I haven't even noticed that in the last several years.

Banned Read only
    It depends.... Men's skirts are nothing new. Several designers have tried to sell them in the past and the Utilikilt comes to mind.

I would wear one if it was pretty.

I will not wear an ugly "man skirt" like the Utilikilt.

Platinum Member
    I don't consider a kilt to be a skirt. Yes, the look may be the same. However, I have not seen a man in a kilt trying to emulate a woman with all the other garb worn. I think the issue is whether or not the wearer is emulating a woman. I saw a man in a kilt as recently as this past weekend. He did not draw any attention because everyone around him only saw a "man in a kilt." Yesterday I was in a local grocery store and saw a Pacific Islander male with his wife. He was wearing an ankle length "skirt." I don't know if there is a particular name for it. I do recognize it as part of his national heritage/custom. He was not trying to emulate a woman. When my inner self beckons to emulate a woman I will wear all the garb which will identify me as a woman.

I don't care enough about men's fashion to really push the limits. I suppose that if it became so popular that EVERYONE was doing it , I would as well.
    I am a vessel of the goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.

Banned Read only
    A rose by any other name...

A kilt is a skirt with a manly name so that makes it okay for men to wear.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    If its marketed for men then I would not wear a "man skirt".
    Nothing I want to wear comes from the male aisle of a store.
    Why this topic keeps popping up I am not sure.
    Do people think they have stumbled on to something new?
    Fashion designers have tried the man skirt for as long as I can remember and the idea has never come close to being accepted by men.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 11-13-2019 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie47 View Post
    Yesterday I was in a local grocery store and saw a Pacific Islander male with his wife. He was wearing an ankle length "skirt." I don't know if there is a particular name for it.
    Some name options could be sarong, pareo and lavalava.

Before I retired there was a big controversy at my job about the dress code being made gender neutral. I was always threatening to come to work in a skirt and heels to test their sincerity. But one of the electricians kind of beat me to it by coming to work in a utilikilt. Everybody got a laugh over it and I'm sure his manager was seething but powerless to do anything about it. Ha ha! At least until evaluation time comes around. I was close to retirement and at the top of my pay range. What could they do to me? I should have done it, but didn't. One of my minor regrets.

In guy mode, i might consider a kilt, but not a skirt .

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Men from Fiji wear ankle length skirts as dress wear. i knew a man form there in my church who wore them.

Banned Read only
    Angie,
    It's not a question I need to consider I wear skirts as a woman in public anyway .

As Kim remarks this question is a regular one , it is diffiicult to give an answer as we have different needs when we dress . I want the man gone so why give him a skirt ?

To me it reminds me of the time when I couldn't shave my legs and had very limited time to dress, wearing a skirt felt great but it looked dreadful in the mirrror , hairy legs , no decent heels , not a pretty sight !
    Last edited by Teresa; 11-13-2019 at 02:04 PM.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Maybe those who are in a DADT situation or in the closet have thoughts like this but to many of us we wear what we want and there is no taboo about skirts hence guy skirts are not really a 'thing'.
    To the CDer it would be menswear so not crossdressing.

Aspiring Member
    I definitely would, once it gets warmer

I have for some time now, long before I came out when I still was a manly man and had my man card in effect. Mainly below knee and maxi length in the summer months for comfort. It took awhile to be accepted and a lot of grief on the way but eventually "that's just Al" he wears a skirt. Never anything "girly", solid colors and maybe some stripes or pattern of sorts. I never did color inside the lines.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie47 View Post
    I don't consider a kilt to be a skirt. Yes, the look may be the same. However, I have not seen a man in a kilt trying to emulate a woman with all the other garb worn. I think the issue is whether or not the wearer is emulating a woman. I saw a man in a kilt as recently as this past weekend. He did not draw any attention because everyone around him only saw a "man in a kilt."
    How is it not a skirt? Because it's made for a man? There are female kilts too. They are useally shorter and cuter but still a kilt. It is a style of skirt like pleated or skater. A kilt is flat in the front and pleated in the back and to be a true kilt it wraps around and fastend with a buckle.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by JenniferMBlack View Post
    How is it not a skirt? Because it's made for a man? There are female kilts too. They are useally shorter and cuter but still a kilt. It is a style of skirt like pleated or skater. A kilt is flat in the front and pleated in the back and to be a true kilt it wraps around and fastend with a buckle.
    I agree. Even though the public associates the term “skirt” with female clothing it should instead be associated with a certain shape. The bottom part of a gi (martial arts jacket) is termed a skirt. That’s not a nickname, that’s the actual specification.

I'm essentially in the closet. With my wife it's DADT.

I would love the opportunity to wear a skirt and blouse, but they would have to made for women.