Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rising Male Femininity

Silver Member
    I don't know how popular this really is. I live in a pretty liberal area, and I don't often see men wearing nail polish, and I can't remember the last time I saw a man (non trans) wearing makeup unless they were goth or they were performing on a stage or something.

Most men in a society will do things that women find attractive, and will not do things women find unattractive. Men are often told women want a man who is sensitive like a woman, and are willing to step outside gender norms, but this is, in most cases, really not true. Men who are successful with women can tell you this. Men who were traditionally masculine were often more likely to succeed in life. Both reasons fathers have wanted their sons to be masculine, they wanted them to be successful and to find a mate. (Though in my case, it was about him being embarrassed to have a not-so-masculine son, not about concern for my future well being.)

I think the bigger issue is not so much men indulging in traditionally feminine things, but the villainization of masculinity. The mass media drones on and on about "toxic masculinity", "manspreading", "mansplaining" and on and on about how evil it is to be traditionally masculine. It is getting old, and even men who are not masculine like myself are getting tired of it.

Vickie, Well said. Women i wanted a close relationship with, chose men who were more traditional alpha males, and considered me just a friend. I am 65 now, still single, dont really care if i dont marry now. Peace and quiet with cats here.

Fascinating thread. From my vantage point, it's a combination of all the things that make life beautiful. At the same time, I have seen a rise of "hey, men need to be MEN!" types of shares in response to whatever threat on masculinity it is that they perceive.

Highly sensitive men that CD. like me, who have had this compulsion to dress, can also be strong as males. We just have a dimension most men do not have, are threatened by, and to often are called names.

Quote Originally Posted by CynthiaD View Post
    I think we?re seeing more of the breadth and depth of what it means to be human instead of seeing everything shoe-horned into a couple of little boxes. I know a lot of super-macho men. (I live in Texas.) They?re still the majority. But those of us who prefer to be feminine now have much more freedom to be who we are. What you see on TV isn?t necessarily representative of the real world.
    Exactly.

I believe it isn't any more prevalent now in the general population now than there was a generation ago. It's just more accepted and more media (FB, Instragram, Twitter, et al) to witness it, generally among younger people.

There are still plenty of men stuck in the stone ages. At my transgender group dinner last Saturday night, I was talking with two nembers who are considering transitioning. Both work at blue collar jobs (one auto repair, the other trucking), and work predominantly with men. One discussed the harassment he's received from his co-workers, the other is worried about the reaction from his co-workers.

The change in society has been for the better. There is less sexual harassment than when I started working 40 years ago. Acceptance of gay marriage is at all time highs.

Clearly, these changes have been beneficial for people on this board.

There are still plenty of men (and women) who are willing to serve in the military.

We are a much better society than we were 25 or 50 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHiddenMe View Post

We are a much better society than we were 25 or 50 years ago.
    Really?
    Then please tell me why the youth of today are far more threatened with violence, both physical and mental (cyber bullying) than we were.
    Why do more and more people live in gated communities, rather than in suburbs where children can safely play on the streets?
    Other examples spring to mind, which I will not mention just now.

I think we are in the best of times and the worst of times at the same time. Moore freedoms, but more violence in schools, horribly violent video games rampant crime. Record homelessness in big cities and smaller cities. Drugs killing more people than ever. Record suicide numbers. Massive record numbers in prison. Horrible division and corruption in politics. Yet, we have the internet, cellphones, I phones, amazing technologies, plenty of food, though much or most food is degenerated with chemicals and GMOs, and fat causing additives. Obesity is pandemic as never before in world history. People are estranged, families are estranged. Engulfed in our electronic devices too much, not connecting in person much anymore. We are lonelier, and emptier, not communicating in person much. The love and respect between the sexes is at an all time low. Music is mostly very depressing. Depression is pandemic. Love is vanishing. Horribly violent video games are spurring real violence, too. Best of times and worst of times. The problems are spiritual. General Douglas MacArthur, after WW2 and Korean War, in his farewell speech, said we have had our last chance. If the flesh is to be saved, it will need to be of the spirit. Lincoln, though i disagree with some of what he did, said , it must be be the better angels of our nature, iif we are to survive. I see the mixture of some good, and some bad in the changes going on.
    Last edited by Alice Torn; 11-19-2019 at 03:35 PM.

Something about this thread made me think about the mouse experiments of John Calhoun. I wonder if "rising male femininity" correlates to Calhoun's "beautiful ones."

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...ans-180954423/

Interesting LSS. Overcrowding is not good for most people or animals. Ants and schools of fish don't seem to mind it. Remember the old song, " Don't fence me in"? I think we've gotten off the thread topic. Sorry mods.

Quote Originally Posted by GaleWarning View Post
    Really?
    Then please tell me why the youth of today are far more threatened with violence, both physical and mental (cyber bullying) than we were.
    Why do more and more people live in gated communities, rather than in suburbs where children can safely play on the streets?
    Other examples spring to mind, which I will not mention just now.
    Actually, crime is down substantially from the 1990's.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...me-in-the-u-s/

Gated communities exist because of the perception of increased crime, but there is no evidence that residents of gated communities are actually safer.

Divorce rates are down.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/...e-millennials/

Teen pregnancy rates are down.

https://www.cdc.gov/teenpregnancy/about/index.htm

And there is an opioid crisis, largely driven by the greed of certain pharmaceutical companies.

Public opinion on gay marriage has soared.

https://www.pewforum.org/fact-sheet/...-gay-marriage/

By any number of measures, society is better today.
    Last edited by char GG; 11-20-2019 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Sorry, rules against discussion of some topics

Many more drug deaths now, too.

Does everyone know the state with the highest rate of drug deaths?

West Virginia.

Does everyone know that West Virginia is 97% white?

A vast majority of the drug deaths in West Virginia are males. Same with obesity.

Does anyone think here that moving away from macho male stereotypes--guzzling beer and wings--the same causes that lead to obesity and drug overffoses--isn't a good thing?

West Virginia's problems probably have a lot more to do with it's relative poverty than with being white or macho. Belgium has a higher suicide rate than the US. I don't think it's known for it's machismo. Pakistan has a much lower suicide rate and a super macho culture. Suicide rates are higher for males most places in the world with the notable exceptions of China and the aforementioned Pakistan (where suicide rates are low overall). Suicide rates for the US are roughly the same as in the feminist utopia of Sweden. There are no simplistic answers for why any of this is true.

The drug , excuse me for a possible misspelling, Fentinol? I hear an amount the size of two rice grains will kill in a few minutes, causing breathing to stop. It is pandemic now, as it is mixed with cocaine and other drugs.

This thread has gone off topic and is now closed.