Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Are you wearing... a bra?"

Jeanine, Absolutely the right way to deal with what was thrown at you , being flustered, denying and so forth just goes to make things difficult admitting right on the spot yes I do shows we have nothing to hide, shows how genuine we all are
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

Banned Read only
    Stephanie,
    Your wife maybe opinionated while watching the TV or passing a quite comment to you but would she actually go out and ask or tell a guy if he's wearing a bra and if he isn't maybe he should .

Being a CDer or TG doesn't mean we are obliged to be rude or outspoken , lets not forget some people have never met a CDer or TG person before , the female passenger may have been slightly shocked and possibly spoke out of turn . If the conversation were to continue I personally wouldn't have asked if she was also wearing a bra and why , I would have tried to tactfully to educate here on the reasons why .

It's a fine line between " Owning it !" and being rude , I wonder what her thoughts might be when she meets another from our community afterwards ?

Jeanine 38, well done in your handling of the situation. If anyone was rude then it was the other person, it was none of her business and she had no right to make the enquiry. However having done so, then she could have no complaint about your reply. You haven't suggested that either one of you were offended so perhaps people are making this out to be a bigger issue than it is.

Banned Read only
    Jeanine,

I'm suggesting we consider the female passenger a little more . This could be hypothetical or true but consider these optioins . If the lady in question has or was going through a difficult time with a TG family member , she maybe a little over sensitive if not upset by a guy sitting next to her in a bra . Now also consider a more poignant circumstance , if the lady had had breast cancer and gone through a double mastectomy , was it then fair to turn the tables and refer to what she had in her bra ?

Was your reply a suitable quick witted answer or did you possibly insult her , how would you have felt if she'd broken down and told you about her cancer ?

Teresa the biggest word in the dictionary ( IF ) lol. Jeanine 38 you handled the situation well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon budd View Post
    Jeanine 38, well done in your handling of the situation. If anyone was rude then it was the other person, it was none of her business and she had no right to make the enquiry. However having done so, then she could have no complaint about your reply. You haven't suggested that either one of you were offended so perhaps people are making this out to be a bigger issue than it is.
    I fly a few times a year, so I'm pretty familiar with the etiquette in both coach and business class. I can say with certainty that if I leaned over and asked the lady next to me if she was wearing a bra, a disturbance would ensue. What kind of underwear she has on is none of my business. Same goes for the lady who questioned Jeanine, who, by the way, handled the situation perfectly.
    Calling bigotry an "opinion" is like calling arsenic a "flavor".

Quote Originally Posted by Jackiefl View Post
    Teresa the biggest word in the dictionary ( IF ) lol. Jeanine 38 you handled the situation well.
    Jackie stated this perfectly, Teresa, time to give this one up.
    Crissy

I think you handled the conversation very well, and quite frankly, it was none of her business in the first place. But with hindsight being 20/20, I'm sure we can all come up with a different response after thinking about it for a bit. For example, I've been wearing a 38C bra filled to capacity with silicone enhancement in both male and female mode for years now, and I hope I would have the confidence to answer the question "why do you wear a bra?" with "so my boobs don't fall off".
    Anyhow, you go girl,
    Deandra

Banned Read only
    Crissy,
    I'm fine with giving it up but personally I will still give other people a little more consideration . The times members here have told me it's not all about you and yet I do try to consider other people and what might be affecting their lives .

Silver Member
    A few years back I was in a Ross store or one of the other discount stores. I was looking for top end bras marked down. A woman walked up behind me and asked, Do you wear one every day. With out thinking I said yes. At that point I stood up and asked her if she had a problem with it. She got scared and stammered no. Then she said it didn't bother her. I think she was from loss prevention. Anyway I went back to shopping and she stayed away from me.
    Last edited by lingerieLiz; 11-25-2019 at 12:18 AM.

I know turnaround is fair play and all, but I don?t think the lady expected your answer to include references to her brassiere.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeDeeB View Post
    I think you handled the conversation very well, and quite frankly, it was none of her business in the first place. But with hindsight being 20/20, I'm sure we can all come up with a different response after thinking about it for a bit. For example, I've been wearing a 38C bra filled to capacity with silicone enhancement in both male and female mode for years now, and I hope I would have the confidence to answer the question "why do you wear a bra?" with "so my boobs don't fall off".
    Anyhow, you go girl,
    Deandra
    Love the reply!

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    At face value, I don't feel the OP's fellow passenger was out of line by asking that question. Seeing the bra strap was probably just as surreal for her... And so, she figured she'd inquire about it. And maybe she even has someone in her life (family/friend) who's a CD/TG/TS, and this was a potential opportunity to have a conversation about that?

At the very least, seeing a guy (unlike a GG) with his bra strap showing is *not* a common occurrence!

Anyway, I totally understand one can be caught off-guard in situations like this. But I'd also suggest to try to never come across as too combatant or anything, either. She was a GG, and it seemed like an innocent-enough question. Though one could potentially take it the wrong way / as an "attack" on you... But 9 times outta 10? It's probably *not*. So, try to respond politely & accordingly.

Finally? This may have very well been a squandered opportunity to have an awesome & lengthy conversation with a GG about women's fashion!

Ellbee, no one has the right to question what others are wearing, the other person ( I will not call her a lady) disrespected Jeanine's human rights in my opinion.

Elbee,

I'm not with you on this one. That was a very public forum and the seats are very close together. She wouldn't be having a conversation with the person next to her but instead with everyone seated in the general vicinity. It is normally not appropriate to ask someone about their underwear and certainly not appropriate when the question cannot be limited to the two people involved.

The woman was wrong to ask.

Robin
    I'm just trying to find a decent melody
    A song that I can sing in my own company

U2

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon budd View Post
    Ellbee, no one has the right to question what others are wearing, the other person ( I will not call her a lady) disrespected Jeanine's human rights in my opinion.
    Steady on. Let's not lose our sense of proportion here. An ordinary person saw something they didn't expect on Jeanine (or whoever she happened to be presenting as at the time) and instead of dismissing Jeanine as some kind of weirdo, actually tried to educate herself by asking an honest and reasonable question. We as crossdressers must expect and be prepared to answer questions about our proclivities if we want to be understood and accepted for who we are by the world at large.

And I hope all folks who think this lady ought to be dragged to Guantanamo for alleged human rights violations are actually taking an active part in denouncing and remedying the real atrocities that are happening in the world today. Unless, of course, they think that the only atrocities that count are the ones inflicted at people of their own kind.

For no reason, here's a video from an old band from Manchester:

Last edited by Patience; 11-25-2019 at 10:57 PM. Reason: the power of the mind to think, understand, and form judgments by a process of logic.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

Personally, I just find the whole conversation to be interesting. I think it's interesting that someone would be so bold as to ask and interesting that the answer was to the point... Thanks for sharing...
    To be loved but not known is comforting but superficial. To be known and not loved is our greatest fear. But to be fully known and truly loved is, well, a lot like being loved by God. It is what we need more than anything. ~ Timothy Keller

Patience, kinda funny of you to suggest a sense of proportion then invoke Guantanamo Bay...
    Lol

As for OP, a little brusque even inappropriate as some have suggested but no more so than her asking you in the first instance.

I do tend to think you missed an opportunity by shutting her down though...

It's just too bad the conversation did not go further. Maybe the gg was just astonished, forgot her manners and couldn't help herself. She, and probably you, may very well want that interaction back. It is also quite possible that she'd really like to have had a longer, enlightening conversation.

I'm being generous. She could have just been a jerk. On one of my first adventures out and about, I went to a Walmart where I bought a bra and a pair of panties (before the self-service checkout option). When I checked out and received change and the bag of goodies, the young checkout lady did a double take (triggered, I think, by my poorly applied nail polish) and looking first at my hands, then at my face (and novice makeup job). As I moved away, putting the change in my wallet, she closed her register, walked around it and stood watching me exit, while saying something (could not hear it well) to another checkout lady. At that moment, I was beyond the first door, so I turned a bit, letting her see me from the side while I finished with my wallet and placed it back in my purse. Yes, outed, but as is a common theme in posts on this thread--the checkout lady should not have announced me to her world. Funny, but I was not embarrassed nor did I feel the slightest urge to flee. I'd like to know what she thinks now, 20 yrs later.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts on this encounter. I didn't detect that she was being rude, rather was just surprised. After the fact I realized my response was a bit abrupt and she may have had similar thoughts about her original question, but honestly I was not offended whatsoever. While her question may have been too forward, I felt like it was an innocent inquiry.

Late too but I have to add a funny. I was standing in a line at a fast food place once and the girl taking my order while looking at me and listening was fingering her blouse to verify which side the buttons were on. When the order was placed, I simply reached up and fingered the buttons on mine and said "yes it is". I've never seen a face turn beet red so fast!!

Jennifer, Perfect, I love it!
    Crissy

Lately I have been , Afler work that is

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Sandi Beech View Post
    Gosh I think I would have turned beet red. Haha.

The funny thing is that when going through the TSA checkpoints, they have wanted to feel my chest twice. Apparently my naturally large moobs triggered some alert making them want to frisk me. It was only mildly embarrassing. Once I think it was because of sweat in the summer, but it happened twice now. Another trip, I wore fairly short shorts and pantyhose on the plane years ago. No one said anything, but I became super self-conscious on the 2 hour flight, and held my laptop over my legs most of the ride. The pink fog must have hit me that day because it was a last minute hair brained spontaneous thing.

Sandi
    Wow! I would've been beet red all day.. I'm glad you pulled it through.

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    Jeaninine,
    Sorry but I feel your reply was a little rude , Ok maybe it was none of her business but it was a fair enough question , she could have been confused and upset by your reply as you were only underdressed in a bra . Her obvious reply might have been I have real breasts to support whereas you don't ( fair commemnt !) so why wear one ?
    Actually, males do have breasts. Males can get breast cancer, correct? We all have breasts, it's just that when you are assigned male at birth, men don't tend to develop as much breast tissue as women.
    Breast cancer info
    And doesn't HRT act on tissue that is already present? I could be wrong on this point.

While the woman's initial question could be deemed intrusive or rude, although I don't know the tone or her expression, I wonder if she was truly looking for clarity. Most women I know can't wait to go home and strip off their bras and/or pantyhose. Whereas crossdressers tend to enjoy these things. So it would make someone wonder why anyone, who doesn't have to wear a bra out of necessity, would wear one. Or perhaps shes just a curious being who wants to understand other people and their motives.
    They/Them
    I love dressing as a woman.

I do not wear a bra out unless I can wear a big jacket over it you can see the outline of the bra in a tee shirt.