Thread: Do you ever critique yourself & take notes while dressed?

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar

Do you ever critique yourself & take notes while dressed?

I don't get fully dolled-up much anymore these days... Maybe only a half-dozen times so far this year?

And before that, was a period of several years where I didn't at all.

IOW, I'm more of a guy-mode kinda CD'er.

But when I *do* get all gussied-up? I want to try to look my best.

Yesterday was one of those days.

And when looking in the bathroom mirror & my full-length mirror, I started noticing certain things.

"Ooh, I could totally use this! And that! And if I got one of those, it would look really good with this & a number of other pieces! Hmm, I suppose this could use a bit of tweaking, too..." Etc., etc.

I'm talking like particular make-up & skin-care items, accessories, articles of clothing, shaping stuff, jewelry... Basically anything & everything that might help you improve your look.

I came up with a list of a dozen or so yesterday.

And I actually typed it up on my computer, left that document open, and added more as I realized each new need during my little in-home fashion show that I put on for my cat, ha!

I did this while all dolled-up, as it's totally fresh in your mind at the moment. Honestly, if I had waited until afterwards, or today? I'd probably have forgotten half the stuff, LOL!

But now? I can simply refer to my shopping list -- which, I should add, I even prioritized starting from what I feel I need the most. That way, I can only improve for the next time.

Anyway, do any of you ever do something like this? Or am I the only weird one here?

I *was* going to say that this is probably an idea more for the infrequent CD'ers, and/or those still building their CD wardrobe. But really? I think anyone might benefit from something like this, too, no matter where you're at with all this.

I can relate to not dressing up fully very often. Lack of energy, laziness, and other pressing issues , even though, i have bought several nice dresses on Ebay lately. I need to stop spending, as i am breaking my budget, and just lost a tooth crown when eating a bagel yesterday. I am tempted to keep buying more lady things, though. I really need to cut back bigtime. Money speaks, and it always seems to say "bye bye."

I am full time and do dress fully every day. I do not leave the house naked. That being said, I do the same thing as you do every once in a while. Maybe it is when I am packing for a trip and trying to put together several outfits, including for the day time and night time events. I still have a lot of fun doing that and actually wish that I would do that more often because it seems that I also seem to learn something new everytime I do it. I actually did that yesterday. I went for my morning coffee at the local coffee shop, met with my regular friends and then went home. later in the afternoon, I found a nice Banana Republic denim skirt with the tags still attached (bought on sale for less than half the original price) that I forgot I had. I noticed it was a size 4 and wondered if it even fit me, since I usually wear a size 6. I just pulled it over my blue tights and, Voila!!, I just found a new style I like, which is actually more common than I originally thought. I was happy because I learned something new yesterday afternoon!

Hi ellbee. I usually just put new items on my phone list and buy them before dressing. I never really thought about making a list while dressing. I did have to make check lists for makeup and dressing because I have gotten things out of order before. One thing we have in common is that I am always trying to improve my look. It is nice when you find something new that works.

Sandi

I'm coming back from a purge at a larger size without the long beautiful hair and slim figure I had before. Consequently, my list is very long. I prefer to take a few photos of myself whenever I get dressed and those serve as reminders for my notes.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Sure every time I look in the mirror.
    I critique clothes,make up, hair, accessories but mostly feel embarrassed about my weight.
    Its really hard sometimes when a favorite shirt/top or jeans you planned on wearing for a week doesn't fit any more.
    I probably should do a good rant on the subject it might help you never know.

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Star01 View Post
    I'm coming back from a purge at a larger size without the long beautiful hair and slim figure I had before. Consequently, my list is very long. I prefer to take a few photos of myself whenever I get dressed and those serve as reminders for my notes.
    Yep! You know where I'm coming from, ha!

And the photo thing can be good. However, that's also only a two-dimensional snapshot of a single moment in time.

The 3D/4D real-world as you're currently experiencing it while en-femme may lead to other realizations of needs.

I underdress daily and dress completely mostly when the pink fog rolls in, which is often. In all, I both critique myself and ask my my formal model wife to critique me. Her advice is indispensable along with lots of practice, practice, practice. I always have a shopping list.

No, I don't exactly critique myself, but I keep mental notes of what I'd like to improve.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

I keep a mental list of things that would probably go well with an outfit. My biggest problem is by the time I go shopping again I have forgotten what I wanted.
    - Robin

Because life is too short not to.

It's ironic ... I finally found a group of guys I fit in with. Funny how they all enjoy being one of the girls.

Wife: Why do you fold your panties? Me: I don't like my panties in a wad!

I definitely spend way to much time on trying to look more fem.
    "This is ME" I am not CRAZY, I'm just a GUY who likes dresses!
    Since allot of men dress up in woman's clothing that makes it a manly thing to do!
    Much more fun than fishing.
    I do construction like house building and I love CD-ing, what's the difference?

Ellbee, Of course I critique myself. I don't take notes, but I do take pictures. Worth a 1000s words, don't you know.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Certainly, I'm always looking for ways to improve my presentation.

I try to learn from the experts. GG's I see out and about and what they wear. That can be things that work really well together, be it colour matching or a particular combination of styles or conversely things that don't work. The, "She really shouldn't be wearing those together" moment.

The real trick is however to know that what may work on a twenty something might not necessarily work for someone older. Some things will, others won't. I also feel that often the devil is in the detail. A fairly plain blouse and skirt combination can be lifted and made to look much more stylish by the addition of the right necklace. There's also the danger however that you can over guild the lilly with too much bling.

I try to observe KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid. Less really can be more. Glamour is one thing, style is another.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

I always critique my appearance.
    I don't make a shopping list per se of things that I need to buy or want, but I do take mental note of certain things.
    The other day it was chilly and I wore my grey tights. Today when I go out I'm going to get a few more pair in different colors for the winter. I saw that I need some more mascara so that's on my mind. Just need to finish reading all the recent posts, have lunch, grab my purse and get out of here. It's a lovely day and I want to enjoy it.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Banned Read only
    Ellbee,
    Somtimes I don't get time to do a critique , only this morning I had to rise at 6.30am and get showered and shaved , get my makeup on ,find some clothes suitable to walk the dog and have my breakfast . I had a good TS friend staying over because she wanted me to get her on an early morning train . Tomorrow it's a 6.00am start because I have to do it all over again to be at my painting group by 9.00am .

It really is a case of a quick final check in the mirror while heading out the door . Am I perfect ?? Far from it but I know I'll just slot right in with the public I'm about to meet .

Platinum Member
    I don't make lists of things I need to buy. I make lists of things I have bought. I really do not need any more dresses (162). It's been since October 2018 since I have bought a dress. Once I bought a dress I already owned, so I started making a list of all my dresses on a word document which includes maker/label, size, description and a picture of the dress taken from its source; ebay, JC Penny, Sears, etc. When I do have the opportunity to be fully en femme I peruse my picture folio and select the dress. Then I hit the trove of undergarments to match the colors of the dress. I also have a word document listing the full slips I own. I don't bother with heavy makeup as I would need a trowel to heap on the makeup. I can get by with a close shave and light makeup.

Hi Ellbee -

I am always making a mental list while I dress. I always make a list on my phone as I think back on things or look through photos but only after. It usually involves makeup as
    that is the most difficult hurdle at least for me and I always see ways to improve. Even though I feel fairly confident I want to get better. Also my tastes get more expensive the
    more often I dress now so I am always purging older items and buying new ones so I continually update shopping lists and carts all the time LOL! Lately I have noticed I need to
    accessorize so I am always on the lookout for jewelry.

You are totally not weird. It's a never ending process!
    I have been circling for a thousand years,
    and I still don?t know if I am a falcon, or a storm,
    or a great song.

Rainer Maria Rilke
    https://www.flickr.com/people/170325405@N05/

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    My photos r both my critique and future "notes"!

On my T weeks out in Vegas, etc., I keep written, detailed, instructions on every single outfit. They include the smallest details, like which wig, jewelry, nylons/tites, etc.

And, of course which figure, (large, med., or slim), prosthesis, shoes, and purse!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

sounds like you need some sort of CD app Doc , dropdown lists for each outfit and where you wore it, now there's an idea for anyone app , anyone know a builder?