Thread: Another "panties in the emergency room" post

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar

Another "panties in the emergency room" post

I started having chest pain last night, knew within a few minutes it was leading to a hospital visit after two nitro did nothing. So I ended up getting admitted from the ER to the hospital itself. When they got me to a room, I had to strip down to put on the hospital gown while the nurse hooked up the heart monitor to the leads on my chest. I had to hold the gown up almost over my head while she attached the leads, wearing nothing but cotton "sport" style briefs that could almost pass for men's. Nothing was said... until after she left, at which time my wife said, "I'm glad you didn't wear floral panties tonight."

My purpose in sharing is to remind everyone that medical professionals are going to be professional no matter how you are dressed, so don't let fear stop you. With that said, once they are away from you, they may have a laugh with other nurses/etc.
    Life is too short to be boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Allison Chaynes View Post
    My purpose in sharing is to remind everyone that medical professionals are going to be professional no matter how you are dressed, so don't let fear stop you. With that said, once they are away from you, they may have a laugh with other nurses/etc.
    As a former paramedic, I can attest that it is as you say, Allison. Humor has it's place, but if it would be at the expense of the patient, that place is nowhere near the patient environment. That said, an under dressed patient was common enough, even back then (I retired from that career almost 20 years ago) that it wasn't a big deal.
    Calling bigotry an "opinion" is like calling arsenic a "flavor".

A couple years ago I was in to see my urologist and asked him how often they see men wearing panties, or other female clothing, "all the time." he said without even blinking an eye. He said, of course he can not talk about it, but he sees "weird" stuff on a daily basis, so often it barely even gets noticed. I also asked about men with shaved legs or shaved body hair in general, wearing make up, nail polish....another non-issue, he sees it all the time. He also said he is just happy if the patient has had a shower in the last 24 hours. He said some patients come in the you would swear never bathe and stink up the place. He said that bothers him a lot more then some guy wearing panties.

The way he reacted I think if you showed up wearing a dress he wouldn't care a bit, as long as you were clean and neat.

Good point, I hope everything is good with your health!

There was a time when the thought of that happening would have bothered me but that time is long gone. Should it happen they would also most likely see my pretty toenails. 😁
    Crissy

My wife is a nurse and believe me, we are VERY low on the list of people they talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by Pumped View Post
    A couple years ago I was in to see my urologist and asked him how often they see men wearing panties, or other female clothing, "all the time." he said without even blinking an eye. He said, of course he can not talk about it, but he sees "weird" stuff on a daily basis, so often it barely even gets noticed. I also asked about men with shaved legs or shaved body hair in general, wearing make up, nail polish....another non-issue, he sees it all the time. He also said he is just happy if the patient has had a shower in the last 24 hours. He said some patients come in the you would swear never bathe and stink up the place. He said that bothers him a lot more then some guy wearing panties.

The way he reacted I think if you showed up wearing a dress he wouldn't care a bit, as long as you were clean and neat.
    And thanks Anna. I am waiting on a stress test in the morning. I am thinking I will get a cath and at least one stent before this is all over with.

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumped View Post
    That is the most important thing for the Doctors and Nurses, clean and neat. I had an auto accident several years ago and landed up in the hospital. My jeans were ripped up and the whole ER could see my black nylon panties. I had to be assisted on to the table in x-ray, and there was not much I could do, but say nothing. Not a word and hint of anything came from anyone within the ER. Mind you, I was glad that I wasn't wearing the bright pink panties that day! I will admits have toned down the colours since then.
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

Yeah I have been to the doctor a few times wearing pink not thinking that I may have to drop my pants and had to. They never say anything, their not going to like someone said they may laugh when they leave the room but they have seen it all and don't care. Would you want to go see them if they did? I don't think so they need to be concerned about your health not your panties.

At different times, various medical personnel have seen my panties, shaved arms and legs, piercings, feminine tattoos, and polished nails (fingers and toes). There have been a few comments and questions, none disrespectful, and a good number of compliments about them. I remember one nurse in particular who gushed over my toenail color and made it a point to drop in and check them out during each shift when I was in the hospital for a few days. These people really do have your health and their responsibilities foremost on their minds and aren't easily distracted by minor matters of appearance. Plus, some of these things are good icebreakers and might provide a moment of levity in the staff break room later. It's nothing to lose sleep worrying about in any case.

- Diane

Considering the amount of money it costs us to be hospitalized and the fact that we are the "customers" of hospital staff and physicians we have the right to groom ourselves anyway we please and wear whatever we like. Any ridicule or harassment regarding our choice of clothing or grooming would violate confidentiality and certainly be worth a complaint at the least. We're paying way too much for health care so not only are we their customers but based on the costs they should compliment us on how nice we look.

I know another CD who had a corporate position and used to grow his leg and body hair out prior to the company mandated executive physical by their appointed doctor out of fear his appearance would be reported to the company. Personally I wouldn't have done that but I probably would remove toenail polish but would not stop shaving.

Banned Read only
    Allison,
    Sorry to hear of your emergency , I hope it's not too serious .

I've found the medical profession don't have a problem with our mode of dress . I haven't had your experience but I do attend all my medical appointmenst as Teresa . I donate blood and have been for X-rays . In fact the male radiologists came out to me about being a Goth .

I recall a member posted a while ago about comment made from another member about underdressing at a doctor's appoinment , her SO was a GP , the reply was please don't use the medical profession for your sexual kicks , they may not say anything but it doesn't mean they are annoyed or upset , also consider other members of the TG community .
    Last edited by Teresa; 11-30-2019 at 02:44 PM.

Very well said Teresa.

They did not figure out what is wrong. I think we ruled out the possibility of it being cardiac though, so there's that.

Glad your here to write about it!!!!!!....My mother, ex- wife and her girl friend being all nurses have seen so much in emergency rooms, funny to not so funny. They are truly the hero's along with first responders....
    Escapism isn't necessarily bad, but is definitely unhealthy in the long term. While helpful in the short term, things will degrade over time. At some point, the escapee will have to face the issue. Things simply blowing over isn't really going to happen in many situations.