Thread: Finally.....

Talking Finally.....

Never thought this was going to happen. Due to my financial situation, I never thought I would be able to have any hair removal/reduction done. I thought I was doomed to a lifetime of shaving multiple times a day. However, at my last appointment with my endocrinologist for scheduled lab work and my latest cancer follow-up, he told me that laser hair removal was a service available to me as a Transgender Disabled Veteran. The V.A. does not offer any type of gender confirming surgery, and I had assumed it would be the same for hair removal. What a pleasant surprise to learn that it is a service I can take advantage of. I had the consult with the Dermatologist who will be doing the treatments this morning, and the first treatment is scheduled for January 17. I wish I did not have to wait so long, but it is a small wait now compared to the years I have been wishing I could have it done. To say I am a bit pumped at the moment is an understatement. I do have some white in the beard area that will need other action taken on, but I will take whatever results I get. The Dr. said she thinks I will have a good response to the treatments and be pleased with the results

What a pleasant surprise!!

Mira,

I am so happy for you to to be able to get that service. I have spent close to $35K on facial hair removal, all electrolysis in my case. I do not know how long before you can get Medicare, but I am on it and got coverage from them for BA in September and hopefully also for FFS next month. I pay for the supplement medi-gap Plan F policy with no deductibles, so no costs to me. That is nice since I am retired.

Quote Originally Posted by GracieRose View Post
    What a pleasant surprise!!
    Well... at least the surprise is pleasant.

Happy for you, Mira.
    Calling bigotry an "opinion" is like calling arsenic a "flavor".

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Kelly View Post
    Well... at least the surprise is pleasant.

Happy for you, Mira.
    Exactly what I was thinking!

Good luck with the treatments, I hope it goes well and you get the results you want!

That's a nice surprise. My health insurance covers the electrolysis so I have so far 4 months done and I'm very satisfied with results achieved. I know that will probably take another year to finish.
    Can I ask you, if your insurance approved hair removal, probably approve electrolysis.
    I don't know if you're aware of the differences on cons and pros...depending on your skin color as well hair color...
    Last edited by Devi SM; 12-06-2019 at 03:37 PM.
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

That's fantastic, Mira.

I could do with a little more work on that myself. I was wondering if that is only available to Disabled Vets, like the Dental, or if other Vets can get that done.
    I guess that I have a few questions for my Primary the next time I see her.
    The source of fear is in the future
    And a person freed of the future
    Has nothing to fear

"That's life. It's not always rainbows and farts. Sometimes the farts have a little something extra." -Emma

Rock meet Hard Place.