Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What did you struggled with when first dressing?

At 12 my real struggle was trying to hide my lingerie etc so my mum did not discover it when she cleaned my room. X

Like others I would say I struggled with "why do I have this desire" then accepting my desire and behavior. Whew...…… I did want to dress up and for the life of me I could not ever understand why I did. Oh and eyeliner.
    Teri Ray Rural Idaho Girl.

Getting the eye liner right.
    Angie

Quote Originally Posted by Madilyn A. View Post
    False eyelashes, getting my wigs just right, finding heels in my size, and sufficient time to dress and enjoy myself .
    ditto! The struggle lol
    [FO

I have always had problems zipping up my dresses.
    Also have problems trying to tie a perfect bow on my dresses that have them.
    That's when I wish I had a understanding SO to help me.

Ignorance is bliss. Hard as it may be to believe in this day of unlimited resources, 40+ years ago I really didn't have an ideological struggle with it. I felt pretty free to be different and was largely unaware of the huge implications.

As far as in-practice struggles, if I was looking back at old pics I'm sure I'd say I struggled with makeup, but I didn't think I was struggling then. Eye shadow was blue and lipstick was red. I wore pancake makeup, and lots of it. GG's did the same thing back then. Heavy foundation was the norm. We didn't agonize over perfection, and were not really aware of what perfection would even look like. I wore my makeup about like other women did. I don't think anybody ever heard of contouring. I remember my first pro makeover in about 1985 I was told to make a "V" with my fingers out from my ears and apply blush there, then the jaw line, then above my brows, then right in the middle of the top of my forehead. I had more blush(ed) than not, and I thought I looked like a supermodel. I'm sure if I could see those pics now (that my ex has) I'd think I looked more like a clown.

Less knowledge, less struggle.

For me it is makeup as I don't want to look like a clown. When I first started off I looked like one. It has gotten better. Still not where I want to be but I feel comfortable enough to go out. I am still wanting help some to bring the eldery lady that I know I am out. One day I will be able to do that.
    Amanda

I'm struggling with weight. I want to look good in a dress, not look like I'm pregnant.
    I can look okay in tunics or loose tops. And skirts are probably right out for now.

Silver Member
    I think acceptance in the 50s. When I moved away from home I thought people looked down on me. I was lucky. I worked for an upscale store and some of the women recognized my desires for women's clothes. Lingerie was hard in the beginning, but one of the SAs had a friend at a lingerie store and told me she would be happy to help me pick stuff for my "sister". The break through was when I went to a movie with a friend as Sandra Dee.

For me it was back closure bras. Ah, such sweet innocent times.

Looking like a woman. I feel that I have gotten better! I had to figure it all out myself. The last time I dressed I took pictures as usual, and several of them looked outstanding. So the progress continues.

Makeup was hard but a lot of fun and heels just took practice.

For me the hardest(and scariest!l part was figuring out how to get out of a bra!
    Particularly when I first started as a thirteen year old who only had 30 minutes home alone before anyone got home. One time pretty early on I really couldn’t get out of it and I heard a car door shut in the driveway.

Talk about an adrenaline rush!

Luckily I escaped just in the nick of time, but I’m sure many of us have had similar close calls.

For me i was 6 or 7 years old and it started with my moms nylons and panty girdle the nylons were just to long so i would attach pass the welt onto the stocking it self i will never know how many stockings i put runs in but i know a lot and yes my mother did know but i don't think she told my dad thank God.

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    Shoes and hair Mostly-----Cheap wigs were not around when I was starting out at 13 or so in the early 60s----An while I was my mother's shoe size--her shoes were too narrow for me.-----But scarves and hats could hide my short hair and since I never went out shoes (though desired) were not needed.

honestly with a bra at first. i used a bikini bra for the longest time before i learned how to use a real bra. lol

now it's mostly make-up
    I'm just a simple someone trying to figure life out.

Dana Marlena
    Finding heels in the right size was always tough - that and false eyelashes, it took me a while before I could get my eye makeup just right

When I first started I had trouble figuring out how to put on a bra, hook in back/hook in front and rotate, if I hooked in front I would have it upside down half the time. I can do bras easily now , make up is my bane.

Makeup. Hair. Fashion, although the GG friends I have tell me I dress better than them.