My kids are grown and have houses and kids of their own to care for. My closest friends don't live close at all and visits usually require advance planning. Even though I've been in the same house for nearly 18 years, my house is down a private lane and I'm not a member of the local faith. So nobody comes to my door unless they want to sell or drop off a delivery. So nobody visits and I get comfortable, present how I wish and then forget about it while I go about my day.

Except this time of the year. I was watching TV a couple nights ago and the doorbell chimes. First I say "What the . . ?" then I say, "Why not?" I have told the neighbors I'm trans, my kids and most of my grandkids and my closest friends know about this in theory, but not very many have had the pleasure of meeting me face to face as Sarah. One of my neighbors was at the door with a tin of Christmas cookies and a health update on her husband. We chatted for a few minutes and she had to leave, never raising an eyebrow or making a comment. I'll be visiting, probably in mostly guy mode, in the near future to visit her husband and drop off my holiday gift to them. It will be interesting to see where the conversation goes, or doesn't go.

Regardless, it was a great treat to not jump up, run and hide when the doorbell sounded. It's a small thing, but I'm going to count that acceptance by her and myself as the best thing so far this holiday season.