Thread: Not my size

Smile Not my size

I stopped back into a Goodwill store today (50% off for seniors) to pick up a couple of things that I'd spotted yesterday. I'm always on the lookout for shoes for a trans friend who has trouble finding them in her size. I sent her pictures when I was there yesterday, but she hadn't responded before I had to go.

Today the queue for the register was long and I got to talking with the woman in front of me. She noticed the heels I was buying (they were hard to miss -- clear plastic high-heeled sandals, with translucent pink straps -- I guess you could call them stripper heels) and made some comment. I said "They're not for me, they're for a friend. And anyway, they're not my size!" (which is true; she wears a 13 and I take an 11 in women's.) I'm not sure whether she believed me, but I don't care. It was a fun bit of small talk.

Bobbi,

It's those moments that can make your day. Great story.

Did you relay it to your friend? If so, what did they say?

BobbiKay, That's funny. The one time it's not true.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Helen,

I did tell her the story; she was amused. She now calls me her "shoe mom".

One detail I forgot: as the other customer was finishing with the cashier, I had already laid my purchases down on the counter and had taken the pants hangers off the jeans I was also buying. The customer tossed the hangers into the bin for me, pointed to the shoes, and said to the cashier "they're not his size!" (I was in drab, so "his" was the appropriate pronoun). The cashier said nothing, just smiled.

I've never been hassled or questioned by store associates, whether on the sales floor, asking to use a fitting room, or at the register. I take that back: one time I was checking out at a thrift store, buying some random $1/bottle nail polish, and I remarked "I hope she likes them" to the cashier, leaving ambiguous the definition of "she" -- could have meant my SO, or my alter ego. The manager, who was standing nearby, said "I think they're for you!" I didn't have a snappy answer that time; I just shrugged. In retrospect, it would have been better just to have owned it, and skipped the lame excuse. After all, I didn't need permission from them, and my money's just as good as the next person's.

Gracious Colleague looking_good's Avatar
    Oh for the do-over chance. Straight faced, 'They're for work.'
    Simply an avid clothing enthusiast...

Quote Originally Posted by looking_good View Post
    Oh for the do-over chance. Straight faced, 'They're for work.'
    I like it!
    I, alas, am not that quick on the up-take. I'll think of the perfect rejoinder . . . 30 minutes later.

Silver Member
    I had a clerk ask me if I was going to wear the two bras I handed her. I responded, sure. The Clerk next to her nearly fainted. The clerk was fast on her feet and and said, these would go good with your eyes. I thought it was funny and I was wearing a bra at the time under my women's top. No one was around so it was kinda fun to see the other clerk run for cover.

Silver Member
    Just finding a pair of size 13 heels in a thrift store is pretty remarkable in of itself.

Finding a pair of shoes in a Goodwill store is almost as good as hitting the lottery. I'm a size 13 and they are very hard to come by. Nice score!!!
    - Robin

Because life is too short not to.

It's ironic ... I finally found a group of guys I fit in with. Funny how they all enjoy being one of the girls.

Wife: Why do you fold your panties? Me: I don't like my panties in a wad!