Last year I was asked by daughter if I'd like to join her , her daughter and also her mother in law to see a pantomime , which was being staged in my new home town . She asked this year if I'd like to join them again but this time in my old home town , now this posed a far greater problem . I asked her straight how she felt if she bumped into any old friends with me standing near by , she just said if I didn't have a problem she didn't . The performance was timed for 1.00pm so it was going to be very busy with so many shoppers with all their family and friends in tow , which also meant parking was going to be a nightmare .
The plan was I would drive them the theatre in the middle of town , drop them off and head for a parking area I knew would be free , this also meant me walking right through the town which was heaving , I saw people I recognised but received no recognition , I just kept my head up and smiled if someone looked in my direction . I arrived at the theatre to find it was almost full with parents and children , there were no strange looks just smiles from others ready to enjoy the show .

After the show finished at 3.00pm I then had the walk back through the centre of town , it was busier than ever with some slightly worse for wear after an early Xmas drink but all I received again were freindly smiles from those who made eye contact .

I have to admit I wasn't going to chicken out and let my daughter down but I was also slightly nervous going back to my old home town and be in such public view , it went better than I thought I needn't have worried .