Thread: How to wear a skirt

How to wear a skirt

I was wondering whether other members took as long to figure out wearing skirts as I did. What I mean is, when I first tried putting on skirts, I would wear them at my waist like a pair of trousers. Seemed like the obvious thing to do although somehow I was never really happy with the result. Moreover, as my stomach has grown a bit over the years, despite my best efforts to prevent it, I have found the effect to become ever less flattering. A beer belly hanging above a skirt just isn't nice.

I thought that the problem was somehow intractable and that women are just built differently. They are, of course, but there are plenty of overweight women out there and they still manage to wear skirts. So I started watching them to see what they do and finally I got it. They mostly wear their skirt waist much higher, sometimes almost immediately below their bras. I tried it and the effect is miraculous. Not only does it completely hide any spare tyre, it places the waist in a much better position proportionately. No longer does my body look a bit too long and my legs too short (and I have a short body and long legs, even for a man). Even a tight skirt now looks great because the spare tyre is inside the skirt, just like a woman. In my opinion, the effect is very sexy.

Anyway, my question is, do others of you out there agree with my discovery and, if so, how long did it take you to figure out?

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    A females waist is higher.
    When you stand with your arms at your side look where your elbows are.That is where your female waist is so wear your skirts at that location.

Yes, i tended to wear my skirt slightly too low on my waist at first. Now i wear it a little higher, it fits better and creates a better "figure".
    "The only way is onward. There is no turning back."

I wear all my skirts high to show a little more thigh.....And with the right hose color... forgett about it...
    Escapism isn't necessarily bad, but is definitely unhealthy in the long term. While helpful in the short term, things will degrade over time. At some point, the escapee will have to face the issue. Things simply blowing over isn't really going to happen in many situations.

As it's Christmas, treat yourself and buy an underbust corset. That will give you a waist and in the correct place. It'll also help hide the stomach as well.

If you think finding out wearing a skirt a little higher is transformational then boy are you in for a pleasant surprise.

Ok, I'll do that. Thank you Helen.

You are quite right. Women's waists are higher to make room for babies down lower. Not having that ability means Nature decided to make the male waist lower. And so with skirts we have to adapt as you have discovered and others have agreed. I love skirts, but they are tricky to wear and have a good result. Big bellies don't help but then a lot of women wear those in spite of their big bellies. Not as flattering as with a thinner figure, but it works. To me, being flattering is not nearly as important as the total effect. Each to his or her own. It all depends on what is important to you.

Aspiring Member
    Everyone is right, female waists are higher. However, some skirts on some bodies can, and are made to be worn low. I have some mini skirts that if worn at the waist would be indecent. It all depends on the body, skirt, and the look you are looking for. Sherrii

I agree and am you made this discovery. I?ve picked many female ideas and mannerisms from just watching women. Now, try wearing hip and butt pads for an even more feminine curved shape.

Once I moved skirt, jeans, leggings, whatever in line with my elbows. They look and fit so much better. A waist cincher really helps define your waist.
    - Robin

Because life is too short not to.

It's ironic ... I finally found a group of guys I fit in with. Funny how they all enjoy being one of the girls.

Wife: Why do you fold your panties? Me: I don't like my panties in a wad!

I have a couple long skirts that I can put them above my bra and wear them as knee length dresses.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

The problem is that most men don’t actually know where their waist is. Your average pair of men’s jeans will actually be worn on the HIPS so a lot of guys just assume that’s where their waist is.

hello All,
    I had a waist once; it was last seen heading south,
    luv J

This is somewhat of a dilemma. If the top you're wearing works untucked no one will know the difference. But that doesn't work very often for me. Wearing a well placed belt also helps sometimes.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Silver Member
    Depends on the skirt too. Long, full skirts are much more forgiving. I tend to wear something loose around my middle to help cover my girth, like a blazer or longer blouse, so it doesn't stand out as much.
    Last edited by Vickie_CDTV; 12-25-2019 at 06:01 PM.

My waistline is 2 inches above my belly button. The dent from wearing a belt is two inches below my belly button.

This explains my green skirt.

I found that out last week, my wife bought me a snake skin skirt and it was at knee length. I wanted it a little shorter and I pulled up the waist line a bit and it seamed like everything fell into place better. Thanks for observing the same thing.

I just wear skirts the way it looks best on my body, even if it's meant to be worn higher on women's body. I think it's best policy.

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    A females waist is higher.
    When you stand with your arms at your side look where your elbows are.That is where your female waist is so wear your skirts at that location.
    After watching what the women are doing, the elbows are a good gauge. My wife says to me that I can then make small adjustments to fit to my knee height.

Quote Originally Posted by Maid_Marion View Post
    My waistline is 2 inches above my belly button. The dent from wearing a belt is two inches below my belly button.
    I checked, and it is about the same with me also.

I love skirts and hosiery, they are such a comfortable way to dress, I wonder why it has becoming so pass? with so many women.
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

My rule of thumb for skirts is four inches above my belly button. Today I’m wearing leggings, and they hit at about the same place. Your female waist is much higher than your male waist.

Quote Originally Posted by MiniRock View Post
    Ok, I'll do that. Thank you Helen.
    Quote Originally Posted by NancySue View Post
    Now, try wearing hip and butt pads for an even more feminine curved shape.
    If you went for a corset with hip and bum padding both at the same time, well, be prepared to be astounded. Skirts don't just fit better, they fit period. Only very rarely do I go out without both as the shape they give me is, how can I put this, womanly.

Look on Amazon and eBay for silicone hip/bum padding. You should find things that are really low cost but will make a huge difference to your appearance. If fact, see here.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

CD rookie errors...
    Skirt too low. The waist is above the top of the hips.
    Boobs too high. Don't line thr nipples.on forms with your own nipples. Lol

A little observation and, if you're lucky, the help of a female accomplice can mitigate these things.