Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Buying/ Trying Clothes

Literally the only issues I have ever had with buying womens clothes is they will have to bring them into the mans fitting room. If that is a deal breaker for you then there might be an issue. Some places have a single use fitting room and you just go into the cubicle to change. Female only stores i also haven't had any problems.

Hi All,
    I had quite a successful shopping trip, it was more expensive than I had planned there is a lot more verity and choice as a woman.
    So I had no issues at all with the shop attendants, in the lingerie store they were really helpful and this really calmed me down and made the whole thing much easier.

Well I'm writing this in my nice new much better fitting new attire.
    Thank you all for the kind words of wisdom and support.

Went to Macy's again, asked to try on a dress or two again and got the OK, even though I know it's supposedly store policy, still felt right to ask. I figure the (mostly fictional) creepos wouldn't ask to go in the fitting rooms in the women's sections.

Since it's my second time this century shopping in person I got brave enough to ask at two stores about some shapewear I was looking for, although both times they seemed to think I was sent on a mission by my woman, didn't correct them to say, no "she" is me.

If you want skinny jeans you may want to try jeggings, which are either leggings made to look like jeans or jeans made out of stretchy fabric. Either way, jeggings more likely fit.
    Last edited by Maid_Marion; 03-02-2020 at 12:43 PM.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I nearly never try on clothes and always shop in man mode. I measure the chest and waist in clothing items. Then, the shoulders and hips r never an issue for me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Maid_Marion View Post
    I use a cloth tape measure to sort through stuff on the rack. If you have been wearing your wife's clothes you should have a good idea what to measure. Usually the shoulders.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I have shopped dressed as well as male mode. For me i feel much more fun to shop dressed, pick out cloths, use the changing rooms, and see how the items look and fit. I use the changing rooms that match my gender expression. The things I have purchased in male mode are items that I already know my size, such as panties. One exception was trying to find skinny jeans while in male mode; that store had shared changing rooms and the sales associates were very helpful in trying to find women's brands that might fit.

The dress I bought the other day supposedly 'ran large' if you read the internet and if I hadn't tried it on I'd have had to go back and swap it for a larger size. Last time I fit into one a size smaller, so confirmed the idea that you can't trust sizing.

Silver Member
    Agree with Maid_Marion.
    I use a cloth tape measure to sort through stuff on the rack. If you have been wearing your wife's clothes you should have a good idea what to measure. Usually the shoulders.
    While I don't usually use a cloth tape, my wife uses one a lot. Both of us know our sizes. We also take things home and try on. We like it because we can take our time. But, we live in an area with a lot of shopping.

I can only speak for the UK. In theory, it's quite simple, you go in shops, you find what you like, you try it on, if it fits, happy days you buy it, if it doesn't, then you hand it back and try the next thing. The only thing holding you back from doing this is you. Yes, it can be a big thing to get over. It was for me. But now, I'm fine with it. The people in the shops, every shop I go in are fine with it. I don't come anywhere near passing. You're just another person wanting to try something on to see if it fits. As for which changing room to use? Simple, you go in the one that matches how you're dressed, not what you're trying on. These days I only go out and about wearing women's clothes, so natutally, I always use the women's changing rooms. If needs be, if I want my partner to let me know if something is good or not, then I'll even walk out in the shop to see what she thinks. The one thing that we all have to get over is being seen the first time. It's like jumping in cold water, horrid at first but you soon get used to it.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by lingerieLiz View Post
    Agree with Maid_Marion.

While I don't usually use a cloth tape, my wife uses one a lot. Both of us know our sizes. We also take things home and try on. We like it because we can take our time. But, we live in an area with a lot of shopping.
    Yes, get to know your size. I can take a skirt from a hanger and just by feeling the width of it I can tell if it will fit or not. Knowing your size is an essential skill to learn.

Some good advice from these fun women...except I found Macy's has directed me twice to the womens fitting room despite my drab presentation.

Perhaps they SAs wanted to make it easier to process the clothes you didn't like. Unwanted dresses belong just outside the women's fitting room, not the men's.
    Last edited by Maid_Marion; 03-05-2020 at 06:13 AM.

Aspiring Member
    I agree with Suranne. In the UK you just go shopping and try on what you want, fully dressed or dressed as a man. Rarely are you required to use the male changing room. There simply is not an issue in our country. We are customers who are treated exactly the same as other customers. SAs comment on your purchase as they would for every other customer. No problems - just go for it.

Perhaps they SAs wanted to make it easier to process the clothes you didn't like. Unwanted dresses belong just outside the women's fitting room, not the men's.
    Also they're on different floors. Less likely to buy things if you have to keep switching levels every time you want to check a fit.

When I go into a shop these days, and I'm not only talking about department stores here, favourites of mine at the moment would include the likes of Seasalt, White Stuff, Lands End, Laura Ashley, you know, 'ordinary shops', the reaction that I get to the question, "Can I try this on please?" is always "Yes, certainly."

I know my sizes fairly well so I buy tops and panties in big box store w/o trying anything on. Jeans I have tried on at big box. My favorite women?s store is Lane Bryant and I usually order online and pick up but have bought in-store several times. I was once asked if I needed to use the dressing room, must admit I was surprised at the question as I always shop in mens clothes. I politely said no but may next time if I need to. I?m very calm in LB, no one seems to care, once you realize that, it?s easy to shop. I haven?t bought anything from Torrid yet, I hear they are very welcoming.

The shopping experience is wonderful, savor it. The transition from 'shy and wonder who is watching me' to confident shopper is one you will look back at with joy. The path is not straight but rather filled with twists and turns. You will get the hang of sizing and styles, and even that occasional giggle from an onlooker. Good times, Good times.

Hi I think a lot of chain shops have a special policy for peeps like us ,I was once in an Evans holding stuff for my misses and a lady came and asked quite casually if I?d like to try them on
    And pointed to the changing rooms,she wasn?t being funny or anything

Saleswomen are much more understanding than I ever imagined.

Yesterday, I got dressed as Claire, for the first time this year.

Went to MAC at Belk for lesson in brow makeup. The makeup artist there and I pick a new area each visit to teach me on. Lipstick, foundation, mascare, now brows. Eye shadow next time!!!!

Then to SOMA for a cardigan they had on sale. Then WHBM just to browse, and found an awesome blouse. Used my rewards and "Birthday" coupon, combined with the 40% off sale. only cost me $33!!!

Then feeling brave i sauntered into VS and got a pair of cheeky panties I'd been dying to try.

In a DADT (see's OK with panties, and the occasional nighty) so had to end day and return to drab by 1. But, had fun, was treated insanely kindly. Everyone loved my outfit. Shirtdress, tights, flats, backpack purse. So, all in all, an awesome day. Each trip out I try to add as store.

I do however, call ahead, before going to a new store, just to make sure they're ok. Only store that hasn't welcomed me thus far is Talbot's.

Not sure how far you?re into the journey but I go To a store a lil ways from home, one day I just got to a point where I just finally walked in, talked to an SA and now its easy as 1,2,3. When I go in now , no questions asked except the usual how can we help you. I shop and they walk me into the dressing room area with no issues. They even bring clothes to me at this point to try on.
    Nothing worse than oops buys because it doesn?t fit or look the way I imagined it to

Start at a charity shop first, create a good communication with the assistants and you are on your way.

When you are confident in gong out dressed try some of the other stores.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Fullerton,

Tell your wife. Then you have someone to go shopping with. If you don?t tell her, then sooner or later she will find all these clothes you?re buying. When would you prefer to tell her? When she finds out on her own or when you tell her?

Also, most sales associates don?t mind helping you with trying on clothes as long as you you don?t invite their opinion. Just be polite and choose a time during the day when they are not as busy. Like early morning or late before closing. Or ask them like I did, ?I would like to try on some clothes, when would be a good time when you?re not as busy??. It worked for me.

@?}??
    Michelle

Aspiring Member
    I'm also in the UK.
    The larger Sainsbury's, Tesco's and Asda all sell clothes. Try them on if necessary, otherwise take them to the self-checkout and you don't have to interact with anyone. (Unless they have a security tag attached).
    I also buy a lot of stuff on ebay and choose the Click And Collect option. It's delivered to a selected Sainsbury's or Argos and they text you when it's ready for collection. I usually collect on my way home from work.

Amazon locker gets past the wife receiving the delivery. H&M deliver to post office pick up point too.

Returns are pretty easy with both. H&M have some lovely clothes.

I shop regularly in Torrid! Their SAs are something special...welcoming, non judgemental, and helpful!! The plus size clothing is edgy.great variety, and if you buy during sales, their prices are great! I shop enfemme or in drab...I get treated the same! The neat thing is they bring you different sizes to the Dressing Room ..and they put your femme name on the dressing door! 👗👠👡👢🥿