Thread: Odd way to come out

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake

Odd way to come out

I was in guy mode when I went to lunch with former co-workers yesterday, one woman and three men who I enjoy and trust. I've come out to the woman and one of the men, so they were smiling nervously as the conversation changed.

The woman is outspoken about things she considers fashion mistakes, the guys were pushing her buttons and she was playing along. Then one of them started going around the table asking what we wore last week. When he got to me I said "You don't want to know." He insisted he did and I declined once more. On the third request of "I really do want to know." I adjusted my shirt to show them the button I was wearing with the stripes of the Transgender flag and the words "Won't Be Erased" printed on it.

"Do you know what this means?" I asked.

"No, not really."

"These are the colors of the Transgender flag and it represents the attack on that community by those in power who are attempting to chase them back into the closet."

"Okay, and?"

"I'm Transgender, always have been. Longer than anyone here has known me in fact." I looked around the table at two faces with smiles and two with puzzled expressions. "Now are you sure you still want to know what I was wearing last week?"

At that point the conversation shifted to other things. I'm not sure they actually know what just happened, but I'm going to be following up before we meet again.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

possibly some interweb searches were done after lunch....
    Last edited by mykell; 01-08-2020 at 06:42 AM.
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that

Sarah it's been said that a good defense is the best offense and visa versa.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

Platinum Member
    Doing a search on the web for "transgender" may leave them just as confused as before.

I love this, Sarah. I think you handled it exactly right!
    I am a vessel of the goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    A picture's worth a 1000 words. And, requires no further explanations!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Sarah, I think you handled it perfectly, good for you!
    Crissy

Sarah, I don't think it was an odd way. I think you handled it well.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

One word: Courage! Good for you.

Well done Sarah, I love your handling of the situation.

Sara you did well there, sometimes getting put on the spot stops one explaining the whole thing, leaving things hanging in the air so to speak will give them food for thought and in any case the women you are out to may well do the telling for you.
    kudos to you Sarah 1-0 to our community.
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

Platinum Member
    That was different, yes, but also the most affirming and assertive statement.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Sara:

Assuming that you do not regret putting yourself in that way, I say well done. Your approach was lo-key, but you laid it out there in an unmistakable way. I hope they were/are curious enough to follow through and learn more, and I think you need to help steer that so,they do not stumble on all the hate and distortions that are out there.

Now the more important matter. Where can we get that pin? It sounds like a must have.

Best,
    Rhonda
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Be all the woman that you can be!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    . . . and now, On With The Show!

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    A picture's worth a 1000 words. And, requires no further explanations!
    Exactly, when I came out at work I simply pulled up a picture on my phone and said this is me. Simple no discussion required.

I have been out for a few years , still I wouldn't expect anyone to know what this button on my purse stands for.20200108_064614-560x600.jpg

Banned Read only
    Sarah,
    As they were trusted colleagues I might have been a little more obvious and stated the exact clothes I had worn , if they then pressed for more I would have added the situation with being TG . I'm sure you've reached that point and deserve some recognition for being TG .

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    Unfortunately I had left my phone home that morning and couldn't show them a photo. Next time I guess, unless I show up as Sarah but then would I have to show them a photo of Dave so they know who they are dealing with?

Yesterday the opportunity presented itself again, but this time with the wife of a friend and I had my tablet so she got one of the good photos. Once again it went without a hitch and we continued to chat about things, even some that didn't deal with being transgender.

These folks are starting to make me let my guard down.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.