I was in guy mode when I went to lunch with former co-workers yesterday, one woman and three men who I enjoy and trust. I've come out to the woman and one of the men, so they were smiling nervously as the conversation changed.

The woman is outspoken about things she considers fashion mistakes, the guys were pushing her buttons and she was playing along. Then one of them started going around the table asking what we wore last week. When he got to me I said "You don't want to know." He insisted he did and I declined once more. On the third request of "I really do want to know." I adjusted my shirt to show them the button I was wearing with the stripes of the Transgender flag and the words "Won't Be Erased" printed on it.

"Do you know what this means?" I asked.

"No, not really."

"These are the colors of the Transgender flag and it represents the attack on that community by those in power who are attempting to chase them back into the closet."

"Okay, and?"

"I'm Transgender, always have been. Longer than anyone here has known me in fact." I looked around the table at two faces with smiles and two with puzzled expressions. "Now are you sure you still want to know what I was wearing last week?"

At that point the conversation shifted to other things. I'm not sure they actually know what just happened, but I'm going to be following up before we meet again.