Thread: I'll tick the female box !

Banned Read only

I'll tick the female box !

When I first moved to my new home town I sorted most loose ends but couldn't update my lending library details because I don't have the paperwork with me to prove my identity . This week I really needed some reference material so took a couple of household accounts to update my membership , the librarian was very helpful and went through the details on the computer screen . I changed my name to spell it Terri and also changed the Mr to Ms . but then she had a box actually designating gender , only two options of either male or female so without my prompting she said , "obvioulsy I'll tick the female box ". I did query the fact that there were no other options , when I mentioned NB , she looked puzzled and replied , " I'm sorry but I've never understood it ".

I know it's a simple thing but it did feel good for someone not to question my gender and accept me .

Teresa, I am not surprised with this and I know you must be feeling pretty happy right now. Congrats!
    Crissy

Teresa! Nice one a great response, just how things should always be.
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

Banned Read only
    Crissy,
    I know it's part of the acceptance policy now in the UK and what we now see on information documents has to include these options , I guess it was just nice to see how easliy she acknowledege the facts to the point where she ticked the boxes for me .

Bobbi,
    I know you're finding this out for yourself , maybe going a little too far to say it's part of normal life but it's getting close .

Hmmmm, tick the female box...

J/k of course. Good for you, I guess.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

Teresa,

You are of course correct in saying that it's good to see this level of acceptance freely offered. Libraries are social spaces run by local authorities and therefor inclusive so while it shouldn't be surprising it's nevertheless pleasing that you had the response you did.

You presenting as you are sort of forces the issue but we shouldn't under play the fact of the response your received. Things are moving in the right direction despite recent political changes in the UK. We just need to continue to push boundaries, consolidating wins and as you do, lead by example. Fight the fight.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Come to France there's no fighting here! just general acceptance, only thing is you would have to live in my hamlet!
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

Teresa, Congratulations on that change. I guess the U.S. is different than the UK, generally no one asks for ID when getting a library card.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbi46 View Post
    Come to France there's no fighting here! just general acceptance, only thing is you would have to live in my hamlet!
    So in your hamlet it is much ado about nothing?

Good for you Teresa.
    Angie

Banned Read only
    Jamie,
    The UK system allows people living in the same county to use their card within that county and both towns are in the same one but my card was registered in my old home town so I had to supply some form of proof I now resided in my new home town . I was told it was associated with freedom of information but I guess they need some way of securing the return of the borrowed books .

Helen/Bobbi,
    Not much of a fight here either , most of that proved to be within me rather than the RW .

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alwayshave View Post
    Teresa, Congratulations on that change. I guess the U.S. is different than the UK, generally no one asks for ID when getting a library card.
    Any municipality I've lived in requires some sort of identification and residency to apply for a library card. Local tax levies support the libraries. My municipality has reciprocal agreements with the county library system, but, there still is a need to establish residency. To my recollection I do not remember any box to check off as to male or female. Increasingly many commercial firms offer alternatives to the traditional male or female when it comes to gender identity.

Banned Read only
    Stephanie,
    When the librarian displayed my details on the screen I asked her to make the changes , the program wouldn't move on until she had ticked the gender box , I had no problem with that because I'm gradually accepting my gender role .

hello Teresa,
    I normally don't thick the "title" box when filling out forms. I just prefer not to use one.
    Because of that my loyalty card for a UK supermarket has used Ms followed by my male name - it amuses me!
    Perhaps I should tick Ms in the future
    luv J