Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Gender Fluid the new Crossdressing?

Is Gender Fluid the new Crossdressing?

First the media were obsessed with Tranvestites then it was Crossdressers and now its Transgender. Got me thinking is Gender Fluid the new name for Crossdressers?

Gender Fluid: Non-binary people may identify as having two genders, moving between genders or having a fluctuating gender identity.

Sound like me.....lol x

Imagine we have a white-hotly contested labels discussion. We've had plenty, but imagine one twice as hot.

In the best case scenario, imagine somehow we reach consensus .

So now we're all chatting away happily with our newly clarified labels which everyone agreed upon, until... you talk to someone who didn't read that thread --and there will multitudes more people who didn't read it than who did.

So now you're back to square one. All that contention for a short-lived, non-universal solution.. and that's assuming a consensus was reached in the first place.

- L.

Banned Read only
    Does crossdressing equal gender fluid?

No, because gender fluid means you actually feel like the other gender. While most crossdressers will adamantly argue that they don't have gender issues. They just like dressing up like a woman.

Right now I consider myself gender fluid even though I am actually transgender. Because I go out in public in both boy or girl mode.

Banned Read only
    Vicky,
    The more I go out in the RW the less I think about labels , the most important to me is my name and earning the right to use it . I have a thread running at the moment where I registered in my lending library as Terri , I then had two options in the gender box male or female , when I mentioned other labels such as NB she admitted she didn't understand them and they weren't offered as options .

I agree with Lydianne...labels belong on inanimate objects, products or goods that need to be identified as such, are reasonably easy to define, and not overly complicated. Human beings are far more complex and cannot be categorized that simply. We are a combination of genetics, upbringing, and environmental influences, and each of us comes with our own unique set of intersecting neuroses.

As for the O.P.'s original question, my response would be that yes, crossdressers might typically regard themselves as being gender-fluid or non-binary on some level, but it doesn't necessarily follow that all gender-fluid or non-binary individuals are interested in wearing the clothes typically associated with the sex opposite to the one that they were assigned at birth. You know, the way that drag queens usually claim that they get no particular thrill from wearing women's clothing as part of their acts, unlike us garden-variety crossdressers...

Don't care much about labeling, I love to get dress every day and that's me, and enjoy being me.

happy dressing to all !
    Wanting something is a fantasy which on a long time period clouds your mind and makes you think you need it.

Rayleen

Quote Originally Posted by Robertacd View Post
    Does crossdressing equal gender fluid?

No, because gender fluid means you actually feel like the other gender. While most crossdressers will adamantly argue that they don't have gender issues. They just like dressing up like a woman.

Right now I consider myself gender fluid even though I am actually transgender. Because I go out in public in both boy or girl mode.
    Being Gender fluid is part of the trangender spectrum as is crossdressing part of the transgender spectrum.

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    Names may change over time, but it's when you learned the word, that is what you will remember, and be prone to use. If you look at someone who is still using the word transvestite, you will find that there culture and age have a bearing on why they are still using that word. The same can be said for the words, crossdressing, transgender, etc. If the new word, or catch phrase is gender fluid, it too will become the common word with those who, first used it, or heard it. What's in a name, if you wish, you could call yourself a pickle in a dress, but then again that would foster many questions.
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

Considering my obsession with shaving smooth, painting my nails clear, pierced ears and plucked eyebrows I put more emphasis on that than dressing. That is likely due to my circumstances and I'd be dressing daily if I could. The last time I had as big of a pink fog as this current one I started contemplating transition and that scared me so much that I lifted and avoided dressing for a number of years. I don't know where I fall in the spectrum but if I had to guess I'd say somewhere between gender fluid and trans. The fog came to a head over the holidays when we hosted family and I came face to face with macho hunter relatives. Imagining taking this public and coming out to people like that stopped me in my tracks but now I can feel it coming back again.

In my case my mother died of a tumor on her pituitary which secrets hormones that are connected to gender identity and sexual development. That happened in the early 60's and her doctors believed that it was the cause of miscarriages prior to me coming along. That could have caused hormone levels to be off but I can only speculate that it has any bearing on my gender issues.

I think more than using the trending label to describe me I'd like to find out what I really am and how to manage it. I am working towards that goal and that is more important than knowing the latest jargon.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicky_Scot View Post
    Being Gender fluid is part of the trangender spectrum as is crossdressing part of the transgender spectrum.
    While I agree with you. Most CD's don't.

I posted an image of a "transgender umbrella" that included crossdressers a while ago and crossdressers came out of the woodwork to claim they were not part of the TG umbrella and don't want to be lumped in with "those people"...
    Last edited by Robertacd; 01-09-2020 at 02:44 PM.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    This is why I don't go to support group meetings anymore its nothing but what name am I? Am I gender fluid or gender non conforming or etc etc etc or one of the 52 other gender idioms.
    Why are so many obsessed with putting a name with everything?
    I don't want people trying to put me in some sort of category.

Yeah that is solely a question of innate identity and what you feel within yourself. If you truly feel like a woman or a man or a mix of the two and it changes at different times then gender fluid is right for you. Your presentation is just an extension of that identity in that case so no gender fluid people are not crossdressers. And crossdressers are not gender fluid.

While I have been thinking lately that gender fluid or non binary might be the best description for me, personally, it is obvious that there are plenty of MIADs on this site that don't identify that way at all.

I don't really know what my pronouns are or what I should be described as and I don't really care that much.

But, hey, if you want to spend energy on it , be my guest. I'm in favor of terms of convenience, changeable at will.
    I am a vessel of the goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.

Platinum Member
    Hi Vicky , I am just a strait guy that enjoy dressing like a pretty lady and just having the best of both worlds.

>>>>>>>>Orchid .oOOo.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Hi Vicky, I am with Rayleen on this and I am all good being me. The only labels I like are in my dresses. Cheers
    Life is too short to be boring...Alexandra

Silver Member
    I'm not too fixated on names, except that I despise the word transvestite. To me, it suggests a psychological disease that needs to be remedied. Besides that one, any term that might help a muggle understand and accept us is a useful one.

Tracii, you're right society wants to put every one in a box. It makes life easier for all if everyone fits a description that society expects and accepts. Unfortunately life is way more complex than that And there aaint nothing we can do about it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sallee

I think it is more that there are a lot of varieties of us and the general public is only now learning of the various ones. We should celebrate both the similarities and differences we have

Quote Originally Posted by Robertacd View Post
    I posted an image of a "transgender umbrella" that included crossdressers a while ago and crossdressers came out of the woodwork to claim they were not part of the TG umbrella and don't want to be lumped in with "those people"...
    info5.jpg

Looks like there is an umbrella for everyone...

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Irving View Post
    Looks like there is an umbrella for everyone...
    The truth is labels and even more so what labels fit together under what umbrella all comes down to people wanting to differentiate themselves from others they feel superior to.

Gender fluid makes me think something has a leak .....

The short answer is no. CDer!= gender fluid. Long answer... it's often more complex than one label can suit, especially for the gender fluid. Labels are a term of convenience. No one is "just a crossdresser". A label may be apt, but it should never be considered to imply any more than what succinctly describes

I for one am gender man. I'm just a bit kinky in an all man way. I don't even want to give myself a girl's name, other than to hide my true identity. But by gum, I like seeing myself dressed up as a woman.

For me, - Crossdressers have multiple motives, some for the sexual release, some to attract clients, some because they just want too, some to shock others (my dad and his mate, both aged 18 back in 1955 England on the beach in shorts and a bra for a "dare"), etc.

For me, - Gender fluid is about who you are internally, while some float between both genders (but have the same likes & dislikes), others have multiple personalities (often with different likes and dislikes)
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

This topic is really always interesting to hear everyone's view on this topic. I've always thought of myself as a transvestite, or crossdresser, and now gender fluid. It's really a valid point that gender fluid does explain how some of us are. I have always felt gender fluid since I was very young.

I agree with everyone who has said that nobody can really be defined with a label. But the best way I've been able to explain to other people about me is that I'm a crossdresser and gender fluid.