Thread: voice training

voice training

Hey all, did anyone go for voice training?

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I practiced it a lot before meeting other T's. Since most sound like they're in a football locker room?

I gave up trying!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Sort of. I started singing in a chorus so I didn't feel too much performance pressure. Later, when I took voice classes more earnestly and was more used to being on stage, I started doing solos and duets. Eventually, I sang in an university chorus. It was a lot of fun.

As far as practicing a fem voice, I never bother.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

No, I never bother trying to have a fem voice. I know lots of GGs who have a similar tone to mine.

Platinum Member
    I purchased a voice training ap several years ago. Although I was a less than consistent student, I did learn some useful techniques and managed to attain a more feminine tone and cadence.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

My voice is a wild stallion that can't be trained, shouldn't be trained and won't be trained. It must run free!

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I learned to talk with the upper part of my voice box and talking a softer tone of my regular voice.
    I have heard way too many CDs end up sounding like Mickey Mouse.

Tracii's comment about Mickey Mouse reminds me of something I've posted several times before.

At a social group meeting I got chatting to the SO of one of the members. She turned out to be a speech therapist. She told me the worst thing CD'ers do is to raise the pitch of their voices to high, ending up sounding like a BeeGee.

Her advice was starting at your normal pitch sing do rey mi and stop at mi. Rey or mi is, depending upon which feels most comfortable to you, as high as you need to go.

After that it's as much about inflection and phrasing as anything else.

Banned Read only
    Karenwong,
    I'm out everyday as Teresa and have never had voice training , I feel it really doesn't make that much difference . The visual aspect comes before that if you look right (pass ?) you are over half way there , closer up if the makeup is well applied but not OTT finally when you speak the assessment has been made you are either accepted or not . If you then open your mouth and a squeaky voice comes out it could do more damage than sticking to normal . Besides it's not sustainable , it's possibly impossible to keep it up for more than a few minutes , I spend all day with my art group chatting away and on one occasion talked to a full lecture theatre for sometime about my TG situation , they didn't expect an altered voice .

It's one of those things that required serious patience and effort.

I have a long history of singing and music, so already having skills on voice placement, a good ear, and how to practice scales, arpeggios, vowel shales, and so forth has been invaluable.

But, also, I am lazy!

I go through spates where I put a half an hour a day into it or more and spates where I don't do much at all. The results? Some tiny baby steps of progress.

You need to temper your desires and expectations with reality and limitations. Set your bar low on the 'pessimism' scale but (important) practice anyway! You'll be surprised by the progress, even if it is tiny.

I have no allusions that my voice is or ever will be 'passable', but it certainly can be 'blendable'. Frankly, that satisfies me. More work to do, gotta stop being so lazy! Lol
    Too much mascara is almost enough.

Contact me on MeWe mewe.com/i/maceyg

Yes, I worked with a speech therapist to modulate my sentences. I'm typically gendered as female on the phone.

In 2012 I was in a support group and a few of those who had or were transitioning had mastered the skill and it sounded so genuine. Either years and years of practice or thousands of dollars for training. Is it worth it? Depends on the individual. If the dysphoria is really severe then perhaps it is an important component like facial feminization surgery. Otherwise I think most don't count it as a major component. Nice if you can do it, but don't sweat it if you can't. I have met women who have a lower voice than I do. From my own talking to TG and TS folks the "do, re, MI rule" is great advice as well as changing the way you speak rather than focusing on the sound is more important.

I took singing lessons back in the 90s. My actual voice is quite low but I have the ability to raise the pitch just enough to sound more fem. But as others have said, nearly all of the CDs I've met don't even try to change their voices.

That said, if you really want to pass as a female 24/7 it's worthwhile to pursue IMO. For some trans I've met, a fem voice seems to have come naturally.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

No formal voice training, I did try out one of those apps, it helped, but then again I don't get out much. Good luck

Reality Check
    I haven't really worked on my voice and of course that keeps me out of social situations when dressed. I can do "Hello", "Thank you", "Good morning" and similar but I would have a hard time carrying on a conversation in a female voice. I've seen it done though on youtube videos and TV shows. It's probably necessary if you are living as a woman but maybe not worth the trouble if you are simply a crossdresser.

It seem a shame to spend a bunch of time and money on a female presentation and then be clocked as soon as you open your mouth.
    Krisi

Hello. I am doing voice training right now.

Banned Read only
    Krisi ,
    I can't help but smile at comments like your last sentence , I must get a great deal of clocking now I'm out full time . I'm also out as a woman and not a CDer , nowdays dressing in drab is more like CDing .

I usually try the do re mi routine when speaking femme. And I soften it up. Years ago I spent femme time at a cosmetic store, but the consultant didn't want me speaking femme, so I lost a lot of ideal practice time.
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

When my voice gets up to mi I still sound like Johnny Cash!
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

So this won?t work for everyone, but from what I have learned;

Drink lots of water: get ?voice tools? ap. Work on hitting f4. Hummm into it then try holding the note saying some vowels. Then once you are good at that try speaking at that tone.

It?s ok if you can?t hit the F4. It might take time. Pick a note you can reach on your higher end then work your way up.

Key is not to go into falsetto and try to change where your voice resonates from. Tones on the internet. I personally suggest learn as much as you can from the internet. Warning that a lot of videos say it is super simple and just do ?x-y-z? and boom you got it. Most of the time it don?t work like that. Some people are lucky and one to or easy tricks work but most people it takes time to develop ?your female voice?.

BUT be careful as your voice is like any tool. It can get worn and damaged. If what ever your are trying feels like it is making your throat hurt then stop.

A professional voice therapist can help a lot and work with you to learn to better alter your voice for your need. I?m currently working with one and she is fabulous. I have already seen a change in my vocal range and ability to find and hold a note. ?The Voice Stylist? is where I go. She does work with people not local via Skype.

Lessons from any source can get pricy but she is willing to work around scheduling and payment plans.

I have also heard some good things about ?Trans Voice Lesions? but it is hard to get on their schedule.

I live like a woman and never tried on voice training. I know several girls that use their own sharp dark male voice because after a while passing comes irrelevant.
    In my case I'd been a musician my whole life and without planning, when in HRT I was singing higher and higher notes, without falsetto. It's like my voice has a higher pitch ow and many people don't say anything about except when you get upset or someone provoke your anger, voice comes out naturally masculine but I don't care because my opponent can easily notice I'm not playing. I do a lot of phone calls and almost always people.git me as a man, I'm not worried about because I just want their business but when I move forward in the business and got an interview, men always got surprised but soon move into the business that's what really matters. The other natural reaction is, for me, is easy keep a femenine style and higher pit h talking with women but with men, the man in me talks...so with all this situations I arrive to the conclusion that the voice is the last things about look like a woman..one day, a business man told me that would make business with me just because I'm not pretending anything and that talks about honesty.....
    Last edited by Devi SM; 01-17-2020 at 03:25 PM.
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

Banned Read only
    Devi,
    Your last line makes a very valid point , not pretending but being honest with people .

It also doesn't concern me too much about what assumption is made on the phone , I had to check some details about my new kitchen floor so the sales guy decided it was easier to take a look to check the details , OK when I met him at the door it wasn't what he expected , no big deal .