Thread: Going full circle !

Banned Read only

Going full circle !

I'm writing this with a smile on my face because I'm having to eat my own words .

Maybe others share my sentiment but after so many years dressed in drab I vowed I would never wear women's trousers or jeans .

Since the start of the new sessions last September I've worn jeans with my heeled ankle boots to my painting group , the majority of members are women and all wear trousers or jeans . I now own several pairs , boot cut and slim cut in true denim colour and the same in navy denim . I wanted a pair in black and found a great pair with a partial elasticated waist band which I didn't like the sound of until I tried them but they are so well fitting and comfortable .

I've finally decided it's time I wore a skirt , somehow I've shifted into a female comfort zone by wearing trousers but after all this time I'm struggling to show up in a skirt and look more femme . So it's time to check out my wardrobe and see what's suitable , I have to consider I can't wear smart new items as I am splashing paint about . First thought was a new check skirt but it's too short when I sit down , I have four denim skirts , one needs a new zip , one is calf length which I'm not sure about , one has slits a little too high finally the dark navy denim might fit the bill cut just above the knee . Now the problem of footwear , I have some heeled slouch boots in black suede , no the heel is too pointed , I don't like the look of ankle boots worn over opaque tights but that's how they wear them so no choice , teamed up with black or navy opaque tights . Tops , blouses sweaters or cardiagans are easy because I have a selection .

I never thought I would go round in this circle , it does make me wonder if GGs go through a similar thought process and do they also play safe and slip their jeans on , being a little femme can wait for a nother day ! I'll see if I can grab a picture , that is if I don't chicken out !

I should add that my art group have seen me tarted up in a dress and heeled wedges at the exhibitions and I met them for coffee in my cord skirts and heeled boots

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    So it's time to check out my wardrobe and see what's suitable , I have to consider I can't wear smart new items as I am splashing paint about . First thought was a new check skirt but it's too short when I sit down , I have four denim skirts , one needs a new zip , one is calf length which I'm not sure about , one has slits a little too high finally the dark navy denim might fit the bill cut just above the knee . Now the problem of footwear , I have some heeled slouch boots in black suede , no the heel is too pointed , I don't like the look of ankle boots worn over opaque tights but that's how they wear them so no choice , teamed up with black or navy opaque tights . Tops , blouses sweaters or cardiagans are easy because I have a selection .

I never thought I would go round in this circle , it does make me wonder if GGs go through a similar thought process and do they also play safe and slip their jeans on ,
    I know my wife basically goes through this every time she wears a skirt, and I do too some extent. For instance I have not worn a dress to the Makerspace I volunteer at as none of them are really appropriate for working in a shop.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    I love wearing skirts and dresses, but when it's below freezing out and I know I've got a ways to walk I'll dress for the weather in any one of several pair of pants I've picked up over the years. I'm trying to balance comfort with a little bit of fashion, a long sweater or tunic that will give off a few feminine clues to anyone who sees me.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Platinum Member
    I?ve always sought to blend in and jeans, slacks or shorts are the norm for casual attire. I never graded my apparent femininity by whether I was wearing slacks or skirts. Thinking back, I probably work jeans and shorts 90% of the time, and skirts/dresses only for nights on the town
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Banned Read only
    Kim,
    Another one of those little battles as I know I will be the only one in a skirt , it's good to read Roberta's wife does go through a simliar dilemma .

Sarah,
    Not so much a fashion statement but more of finding the confidence to appear more feminine .

Just to add a P.S.
    I am one of the few obviously wearing full makeup , I'm sure if I stopped wearing it now they would think something was wrong , I guess the same thing could happen if I started wearing a skirt .

I dress for the occasion and the weather. I don't care if I've worn a skirt in the last few days or not. I live where it's cold and icy this time of year, really not a fan of going out in a dress and cleaning the snow off of my car.

If the occasion is shopping for groceries, I wear jeans. If the occasion is going dancing, I may wear a dress.
    Last edited by char GG; 01-18-2020 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    I am one of the few obviously wearing full makeup , I'm sure if I stopped wearing it now they would think something was wrong , I guess the same thing could happen if I started wearing a skirt .
    Skirts and makeup.
    I try to blend when I go out dressed. I would love to wear a skirt or dress, but I am usually going somewhere where all the other women are wearing, jeans, capris, or shorts (depending on the season). I wear what I expect the other women to be wearing, and it's not a dress or skirt.
    I also wear more makeup than most women. My wife is quick to remind me of that. However, I want the makeup to mask male facial features as much as possible (and I enjoy applying it and seeing the effect). I try to strike the balance between enough to feminize my face, but not too much to be overdone. I'm sure that I don't always strike the optimum balance.
    -Gracie

Banned Read only
    Gracie,
    I have no problem finding the balance with makeup and as you say dress more to blend , I guess I'm questioning my right to dress as I choose as a woman and what is stopping me ? If any of the ladies of my painting group chose to wear a skirt no one would question it , so maybe I should stop questioning myself and just do it .

Wear what you want. It's about looking your best and being the best you that you can be.

I would be willing to bet that if you only wear dresses and skirts to your class you will find that some of the ladies will too occasionally.

Teresa, I'm sort of a never pantser. But if you are happy wearing femme pants go with it. I don't see switching back to a skirt as a big deal. We all go with what we are comfortable with.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Banned Read only
    Jean,
    I'm also intrigued by that possibilty , as for looking my best , don't forget we are splashing paint about , it's quite amusing as some of the ladies wear their husbands old shirts on top of their own clothes but I've never suggested they are crossdressers !

Jamie ,
    As said in my OP I vowed never to wear women's trousers or jeans now I've become so use to them I'm struggling to go back to a skirt knowing I will be the only one wearing one so I'm wondering how comfortable I wll be .

I have a skirt I use for painting walls in my house (jean skirt and I painted in it once and it got some paint on it so now who cares if it gets more paint on it). Not sure if anyone else uses one but you could use an apron to keep your clothes paint free. But I know for me it takes more of a reason than some paint for me to opt for pants over a skirt

Banned Read only
    POST UPDATE,

Despite the weather turning cooler I decided to go with wearing my denim skirt this morning , in fact I didn't have time to dwell on it as I had so many jobs to do before I set off at 8.15am .

I was the first to arrive in the art room and it was a mess so I organised it before popping into town to do some shopping . The regulars started to arrive and no one took any notice of what I was wearing .

I have to admit I did question myself for being hesitant about wearing a skirt , obviously all in my head , I shouldn't doubt myself anymore it does appear I have been totally accepted , no one is going to question it .

Teresa, wear what ever you feel like wearing! I am usually in jeans and a tee shirt! The other day I went to my counselor in my gold dress and left it on while doing my daily chores(shopping, etc!) It felt good and got no reaction from the public! Do you and go on about your business! Hugs Lana Mae (Note that I wear a skirt or dress to my counselor most of the time and also to my doctor appointments!)
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Banned Read only
    Lana,
    On the whole I do wear what I feel like but I still consider what is appropriate . The fact no one noticed today I took as a compliment , they are totally comfortable with me and accepting .

They noticed.

They see you as one of the girls. Wearing a dress is totally normal for women. I bet that they like to see you wearing dresses.

You know you don't have to follow you can lead.

I have had my friends come up to get my opinion and make sure I see them in a dress. That and a couple that don't normally wear makeup.

But than I have had two of my friends announce that they are no longer wearing makeup. I have a deep respect for both women. Besides they are both beautiful, don't really need makeup.

For the first year after I came out I only wore dresses and skirts. I can remember my best friend (GG) begging me to wear pants, it was Winter and I was the only one in a dress. But I live on the CA coast. So not like were you live. It was beautiful today in Santa Barbara were I was working, a house on the beach.

She said she was cleaning out her closet and gave me a stack of jeans. When I did finally wear jeans everyone was like, is this casual Thursday? One of those pair of jeans are the only pair I've ever received complements on. One girl wanted me to give them to her.

I perfer to wear a dress, I've switched back to wearing them most of the time.

I get not wanting to get your dresses stained or damaged. I have been adding everyday dresses to my wardrobe to wear around the house, if I'm working with tools I normally wear shorts.

I understand the painting thing. Still you could wear a cute apron or smock.
    Last edited by Jean 103; 01-22-2020 at 08:11 PM.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean 103 View Post
    For the first year after I came out I only wore dresses and skirts. I can remember my best friend (GG) begging me to wear pants, it was Winter and I was the only one in a dress.
    Last week is was cold for here (snow temps in the 20s) I went to a drag show on Thursday night and since the weather was bad the turnout was really small. In the audience of probably %98 women, there were three people wearing dresses, (other than the Drag Queens) Me and two other Transwomen.
    Last edited by Robertacd; 01-22-2020 at 11:34 PM.

Silver Member
    In my world wearing a dress or skirt other than to church, weddings, or funerals will get you noticed. Then again women in pants and jeans are there too.

Yes. I also leased a house, moved by in my boyfriend and another roommate with his five year old daughter. I was the lady of the house. I also did full makeup every day. This was all part of personal change. Oh and my boyfriend died about two years ago.You know just life

It's like 60s , I'm sure if I would have cruised State Street I would have seen a few dresses.

I lnow that I and DarkAnGGel go through that same mind battle. It is easy for me. I own only 2 slacks and one pair of leggings.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

Banned Read only
    Jean,
    Maybe I needed that point spelt out to me , they really do see me as one of the girls ! I must admit it felt strange for a while , I had to be more careful sitting on my stool and when I dropped something , trousers do make life simpler . Today I was out with my TS friend and popped into a charity shop and found a lovely suede skirt for ?5.00 , I won't think twice about wearing it next week .

I'm a service tech, my last call today was at an art studio. Two women painting. I chatted with one, what I found interesting as she was standing with one hand full of different brushes, in a dark smock that was covering a nice outfit. I thought of you.

Teresa,
    I thought going full circle was when one ends facing the direction they just came from!! But yes addressing your OP I can see your slight dilemma but if it is any conselation womens trousers/jeans being cut different are so much more comfortable to wear I have both pants as well as skirts but over here when its cold skirts go into hiding.
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

Banned Read only
    Jean,
    That's a lovely thought , many thanks but are you sure it wasn't me ?

Bobbi,
    I didn't choose a very good day it was just above freezing and very foggy . I mentioned I also went shopping , I was looking for something to place under my washing machine so I could slide it back in without damaging my new floor . I'd known the guy in the shop for years and he didn't bat an eyelid and the when I turned round to leave the shop I bumped into a lady whose husband I'd worked with when I was in my late teens . I said hello M..... she gazed straight at me saying , " I'm sorry but I don't know you ", so I had to spell it out to her , when the penny dropped she said it was lovely to see me again even if I had changed somewhat .

hello Teresa,
    for a long time I though that wearing what I thought were women's versions of men's clothes was "cheating" in some way. But, this winter I ave worn jeggings and women's jeans for the warmth. I have felt just as feminine wearing them. Jeggings under a skirt works well for me at present!
    luv J