Thread: My Recent Doctor Story

My Recent Doctor Story

I was establishing care with a new primary physician last week, and she wanted an EKG reading. No problem, I thought, since they only hook the silly little pads up to your chest, right? Not so much...

The nurse rolls in the EKG cart and asks me to take off my shirt. Easy peasy. Then she asks me to lie down on the exam table. Piece of cake.

Before I go any further, it's worth mentioning that 90% of the time my fiancee isn't with me, I'm wearing pantyhose and usually a skirt, too. On this occasion it was the pantyhose I affectionately refer to as my "jammies" (a pair of nude CdR Super Lucidos with various holes and runs), along with panties and a silver anklet under my "guy" jeans. So anyhoo...

The nurse pulls up my pantleg and starts applying alcohol to my ankle through my tights! Apparently she didn't notice them! I quickly offer to remove the nylons, and the nurse confirms that she didn't realize I was wearing them.

Long story short: I undressed and re-dressed while the nurse was in the room, and my bright pink toenails were exposed (why put my shoes back on for the 5 minutes the test takes?) for the duration of the test and not another word was said.

And to think, being caught wearing panties or pantyhose in the ER used to be a major fear of mine. Now it's not even an issue.

BTW my EKG came out fine. 😁😁
    It's spelled Marika, but it's pronounced Janey!
    Appreciate the beauty in the current moment, because the past is gone and tomorrow never comes.
    Janey's Amost Secret Crossdressing Blog: http://marikajaye.blogspot.com

Good story! I had a similar experience at my Dr’s with my pretty pink toes. Ultimately no big deal, they are professionals and like has been said here, they have seen it all.
    Crissy

Great story, but 3 things come to mind here...

1) How could the nurse have been so clueless so as not to notice that you were wearing pantyhose? Did she really think that the "skin" on your legs was so mottled that it naturally resembled knitwear. I mean, I "get" that GG's don't wear pantyhose anymore to the point that they are probably no longer familiar with it, but still...???

2) What caused you the initial embarrassment in being "outed" in this way...the fact that you were caught wearing pantyhose, that they were full of holes and runs, or was it a toss-up or a combination of the two?

3) Didn't your mother ever teach you to always wear clean underwear that was in good condition in case you were ever in an accident and had to be rushed to the hospital. I see a parallel here...

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Langford View Post
    Great story, but 3 things come to mind here...

1) How could the nurse have been so clueless so as not to notice that you were wearing pantyhose? Did she really think that the "skin" on your legs was so mottled that it naturally resembled knitwear. I mean, I "get" that GG's don't wear pantyhose anymore to the point that they are probably no longer familiar with it, but still...???
    I have given that a lot of thought myself, and the best explanation I can come up with is that she does this so often that she doesn't even really look. I mean she actually applied the alcohol swab to my ankle and I said "Why don't I take those nylons off for you?" before she realized what was happening.

2) What caused you the initial embarrassment in being "outed" in this way...the fact that you were caught wearing pantyhose, that they were full of holes and runs, or was it a toss-up or a combination of the two?
    I wasn't embarrassed this visit. In years gone by, I would've been mortified and wouldn't have worn any feminine article to the clinic because of that fear. These days, my attitude is more "don't like it, don't look" and it has worked wonders for my confidence! I only wore jeans because my SO was going to be home when I got there and I didn't care to explain why I "had to" wear girly things just to see the doctor.

3) Didn't your mother ever teach you to always wear clean underwear that was in good condition in case you were ever in an accident and had to be rushed to the hospital. I see a parallel here...
    In my own defense, my "jammies" are washed regularly and all the holes / runs are in the panty section. I was wearing jeans and it was the only pantyhose I had handy when I was getting dressed (not going to open a new package just to lounge around the house most of the day). Who knew going in for a "consultation" would result in such tom foolery?
    It's spelled Marika, but it's pronounced Janey!
    Appreciate the beauty in the current moment, because the past is gone and tomorrow never comes.
    Janey's Amost Secret Crossdressing Blog: http://marikajaye.blogspot.com

Silver Member
    It should never be an issue for a professional to see something out of the ordinary, but it can happen.

Several years ago, I had a GP with bad bedside manners. He was one of several doctors in the same office and I knew of many patients who would make appointments that coincided with his day off so they wouldn't have to deal with him. Then he retired and the other doctors in the office couldn't absorb all his patients. I was one of those left out. So I found another office that would take me, and I collected my medical records to transfer. I took that opportunity to read through some of them. Here's what I found on one page:

"I was unable to examine the fingernails of (The patient) for an indication of his health because of the presence of nail polish."

How inappropriate was that? I thought it was heavy handed and homophobic. He retired at a relatively young age and my guess is that he did it because he got a lot of negative feedback from his patients and maybe even secondhand feedback through his colleagues. Good riddance, I say. Even though we need more doctors not fewer, we don't need that kind.

As a post script, the first time I visited my new doctor, I was wearing a skirt and wedges. There was no comment, not even a sign that he ever took a second look at my outfit. THAT'S the way it should be, even in regions that are less tolerant than where i live.

Great adventure Marika. Thanks for sharing.

Marika, I am glad you're OK. I recently found out it is no big deal myself.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    "If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there. Does is make a sound?"

If someone u don't know and probably will never see again knows u dress? Does it really matter?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

First time I told the doctor (8ish years ago?), I said I was really stressed and he asked why. I said I cross dress and am always thinking / stressed about that. He replied, " yeah, I can see how that might be stressful." End of topic. No further dialog. Okaayyyy...

A few months ago, got a new job, had to get a wellness check up. Dr. not available, so went with the nurse practitioner. Same thing. All checks, vitals, etc, all okay. How are you doing? Any stress or concerns. Well, it came out quick and easy. "Yes. Well that is the real wellness question. I'm really stressed," I answered.

"Why? What's going on?"

"Well, I suffer from what is commonly called today, gender dysphoria..." We had a 10 minute conversation, and she was INCREDIBLY empathetic. In the end she said, "Thank you for sharing. I feel like I need to give you a hug," which she did. Love her for that.

So twice I've told a medical provider and I'd suggest always give them the info if YOU WANT TO. They will likely be supportive, and if they aren't, you don't want them as a health care provider.
    Last edited by Kathleen Ann Trees; 01-23-2020 at 10:56 PM. Reason: minor clarification

I had to switch my doctor a ways back and it was such a good experience! I did a little research and found a doc that had LGBTQ references in his Bio so I figured that is the one for me! I dared to tell him my story and about my cross dressing ways in person which I hardly ever do and I was quite a bit nervous! He was so understanding and caring. It felt so great to be seen for who I am and not be judged, but cared for. People often do not realize how big of an impact an experience like this can have on us. That made my week if not my month!
    Happy Heels!

Glad you are ok. When I had my heart attack I walked into the E.R. with polished toenails and flip flops. Nothing said.

I had to switch doctors as my old one retired. I found a doctor who advertised LGBTQ expertise.

Marion

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    "If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there. Does is make a sound?"

If someone u don't know and probably will never see again knows u dress? Does it really matter?

The other person's knowledge, in a vacuum, probably not.

However, for a dresser who wants to tell others, it could give the dresser experience in talking to others about their dressing. A positive response from the other person might inspire confidence in the dresser to talk to more others - albeit possibly misplaced confidence because different people will respond differently and acquaintance is likely to influence response.

But from a health perspective, it's a good sign when the outcome of a medical procedure is offered as a footnote.

- L.

Banned Read only
    Marika,
    I recall a member commenting on the reaction of health workers , her SO was a doctor , professionally she wouldn't say anything but she also didn't like some using the excuse as some sort of fetish or sexual pleasure .

I know this comes up as a regular thread but if you have dysphoria , there is no reason not to wear what clothes you choose , I've donted blood , had X-Rays , had my flu jab , well I am full time . I guess the underdressing may come over as a little weird to some people , in that case you take your chance but I will add most CDers do actually like the thrill of being caught .

Platinum Member
    3) Didn't your mother ever teach you to always wear clean underwear that was in good condition in case you were ever in an accident and had to be rushed to the hospital. I see a parallel here
    Leslie, you made me laugh. When I was a kid I use to watch my mother get prepared to go to the doctor's office when she was ill....Not a routine annual checkup....But, ill. She bathe. She put clean clothes on. She actually would be removing any pertinent signs of illness or infection. I could never understand how someone could preen themselves when going to the doctor's office. I think other people would drag their sick ass into the office.

All these stories of getting caught in panties and hosiery and nail polish. You all must have a secret desire to get caught or at least live dangerously. What do you expect a medical professional to do? There is a standard of care to be expected. And, if you're going in for an exam, remember if your bra or girdle was to tight/snug there may be a road map to seams and indentations on your skin.
    Last edited by Stephanie47; 01-24-2020 at 06:43 PM.

Aspiring Member
    Marika,
    I have had similar experiences while having an EKG performed at my GP's office, the cardiologist's office and probably at least one other location. No issues, the sticky electrodes are attached around my bra just as they do for a female patient. also, the doctors move their stethoscope around my bra when checking my heart and lungs.

I had a funny incident, from my prospective, in 2006 while having an EKG performed. I had showered and moisturized my legs before my appointment at a cardiology office. The electrodes on my ankle area where coming loose, so the nurse/tech held them in place until the test was completed.

I was almost caught off guard myself, I was going for the same test and at the last minute I decided to take off my pantyhose. When she was putting on those sticky things all over my chest and then unexpectedly she asked me to lift my pant leg up, I think my heart did a second beat. You seem to be more comfortable with your dressing but I'm much more conservative that would have made things very uncomfortable. Good for you, I wish I had your additude. Thanks

I'm always very careful to wear mens briefs if I have to go to the doctor for anything that would involve undressing. My previous doctor was a male and a bit intimidating. He graduated at the top of his class at Harvard and was thoroughly professional. My new doctor since I moved to Florida is a woman. I am much more comfortable with her. I know that her practice includes hormone therapy, not sure exactly what sort of therapy. I've had blood work done twice in the past 6 months in order to sort out some minor issues. On both occasions my estrogen was way above normal for a male my age. On my next visit I intend to ask her what, if any, effect this might have psychologically or physiologically.
    Last edited by Victoria1; 01-25-2020 at 04:26 PM.

Just another 'Gurl'
    The nurses see all kinds of stuff. My wife is a nurse and guys in skirts are usually some of the least interesting stories she has to tell from the hospital. Compared with a guy eating all his fingers off, we sporting bras, and panties are rather tame.
    Just another man in a dress

Great story Marika. I'm glad it all worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie47 View Post
    Leslie, you made me laugh. When I was a kid I use to watch my mother get prepared to go to the doctor's office when she was ill....Not a routine annual checkup....But, ill. She bathe. She put clean clothes on. She actually would be removing any pertinent signs of illness or infection. I could never understand how someone could preen themselves when going to the doctor's office. I think other people would drag their sick ass into the office.
    I understand your mom. I am lucky and very rarely go to the doctor. Several years ago I had to go to urgent care. Even though I was in extreme pain I showered, shaved and put on a nice shirt and a newer pair of blue jeans. I went to the urgent care and when they saw me walk in immediately sent me to the emergency room. But I felt better knowing that I was presentable for the nurses and doctor.
    I am glad that I showered as I was admitted for three days. Between the several IV's and the pain meds I mostly slept. But I am much better now.

I was wearing panties when I had my stroke. They took everything off and put my panties in a bag and put it in my jean pocket for later. No one said a thing. Need a flu shot at the doctor's. Had me take my shirt off to give to me in my upper arm. Showing off my lace bra The nurse liked it and wanted to know where I got it.
    GLENDA
    I FEEL LIKE A WOMAN