Thread: I guess this is learn as you go.

I guess this is learn as you go.

About a month ago I bought a Groupon, 6 sessions of laser hair removal on a small area. So I had my first session about a month ago. I went for my second session yesterday why you have to wait a month between treatments you got me. I'm getting my upper lip laser it took them a whole 3 minutes. I mentioned that I'm going on the 5th for electrolysis on the rest of my face. I also mentioned how I noticed gray hairs growing in on my lip, I was told that the laser will not get rid of the gray hairs.??? The girl told me that in a couple weeks if I want to go to electrolysis and get the gray hairs taken out that will help.at the end of this month I was told that they're going to turn up the intensity on the laser. Hey, you got to start somewhere and sometime. Yesterday I saw about five females in there , have yet to see a male getting laser I guess it's a girly thing.
    Last edited by DeniseNJ; 02-01-2020 at 01:33 PM.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    There are a lot of steps in this process that even when I've read about them, asked friends for additional details and made a few assumptions, that I'm still floundering or surprised. It's a lot like life I guess.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Strange. My entire face, except around eyes—too dangerous, was done each of the four times we did laser. The person who did the treatments is on the clinical faculty of the medical center and knows her stuff. Only doing small areas sounds like a money generator.

Laser and electrolysis are the two methods that have consumed many thousands of my dollars to almost eradicate a blondish, reddish beard with many dark hairs interspersed within. There are at least three ongoing generations of facial hairs embedded about 1/8 + inches deep in your face, some deeper, and each hair has about a six week regeneration cycle. They come up in batches, not all at the same time. Though you may eradicate enough at one time to gain "full clearance,' there are still many more gestating deep within their pores. That's why you must wait for successive generations to sprout, be weakened (and perhaps killed) by laser or electrolysis. Yes, might be killed. Many electrolysised hairs regrow, albeit greatly weakened, and require additional treatments to weaken and eventually kill the hair follicle and root.

And, of course, there is the expense. I had two ultimately weakly effectual packages of facial laser treatments for, gosh, I don't remember how much, followed by three years (yes, three) of electrolysis, of two, sometimes more hours, per weekly session, at (then) $65 dollars per hour, before I attained my initial, actual "full clearance." Do the math and you will see this is enormously expensive if you are on a restricted budget, and realise that this is a huge cost frequently left unconsidered in transition calculations.
    ​​ღϠ₡ღ✻ Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡✻ ღϠ₡ღ✻

No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent
    Eleanor Roosevelt

​​​ღϠ₡ღ✻ Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡✻ ღϠ₡ღ✻

Yeah, it's a shame the lasers can't get the greys.
    There's just not enough dark color for it to take effect. I was told the same thing when I was investigating it.
    At this point it wouldn't make much sense as I'm mostly grey now.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Well I pre paid and got 4 more sessions to go. So I will continue

I have had six or seven laser sessions to remove the dark hair above and below my lips. My treatments are only for a few minutes and tend to focus on either above or below the lip. So far the results are wonderful! Although I still need to shave to get the gray hair, after shaving there is no blue tint and the gray hairs seem to be easier to shave and leave less of a stumble. I no longer need any sort of color correction before makeup, and actually could go out dressed without makeup.

It's interesting to me that no one has really noticed the change or commented. I have also had my eyebrows waxed to give a thinner line and similarly no one has commented.

My experience and learning is that laser works just in light skin and dark hair but eventually hair will grow again and people under just laser always need "redoes" from time to time.
    Electrolysis is more radical and work.with any asking ir color hair, for that reason as it was said, is more expensive.
    I'd been so far 8 months of 2 hours weekly, (all on one session) an just now I'm seeing real.advance on the upper lip. Upperlip is the more painful and sensitive area. In my case this area is the one with more dark hair because the rest is gray with mostly white hair, after shave no dark shade so my focus has been the upperlip and next will be the chin.
    Other areas, around the lips had been treated and in two sessions hair didn't grow again, as well chicks.
    I'm lucky a d my health insurer pays for it so no money out of pocket just to drive 30 miles away that's the nearest electrologist that works with insurance because they pay less.
    After had a really thick, abundant and black moustache that grows a bit around the nose too, today before electrolysis I count 17 thin hairs that took 16 minutes to treat by the electrologist and she found s the rest of the 2 hours around the chin just attacking the dark hairs (btw, she is so nice and understand my needs because has treated so may transgirls)
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Devi SM View Post
    My experience and learning is that laser works just in light skin and dark hair but eventually hair will grow again and people under just laser always need "redoes" from time to time.
    This! My electrologist who has been doing it for over a decade, sees it all the time. You are happy from results of the laser first, only to see hair starts to grow back in 2-3 years again. The problem with mixing laser and electrolysis, is that the hair that is partially killed during laser, can't be treated with electrolysis...you will have to wait 2-3 years for it to grow to treat is again. In the end, it cost more and it takes longer. Electrolysis is painful but typically you kill the hair follicles on the first time. I am on 130 hours at this point. I come once a week, and it takes me about 1 hour to re-clear the entire face. However, the hair is so light, so small, so spaced out, that I can easily go for weeks without shaving and it still looks clean from a distance. No shadow at all..
    Last edited by Katya@; 03-09-2020 at 09:24 PM.

Silver Member
    My electrologist said the same about laser, but did say it worked well on body hair, having it done on herself, in fact. Lasered facial hair, however, tended to eventually regrow as vellus hair. You would think that wouldn't be an issue - everyone has vellus hair and it's virtually unnoticeable on most people. The problem in the case of male facial hair that it will be very dense, will likely be quite noticeable, and is very difficult to treat with electrolysis.

Electolysis is expensive. I'm 170 hours in and still have more to do, but have reached the point where the strays can be plucked (I know, I know). I also started using an epilator on my face once a quarter or so. Don't try that until you reach the strays-only stage! I'm thinking that another 30 or so hours of electro would finish things up, but I just don't have the budget right now.
    Lea

The laser light is absorber by the dark hair follicle. It Cooks it essentially damaging it so it no longer produces hair. I had to wear sunscreen daily so as not to let skin tan the laser is absorbed by dark hair, skin etc. If your skin is too dark you will get nasty burns that will leave scars. I went to a national chain based in Omaha. They have a lot of male to females and are very accepting. Of course why not their pay depends on sales. I bought a face and neck package and it is life time and can go back any time for touch ups. They have done very well and I am pleased with the results. After about a year and half of treatments. Now I need electrolysis for the Grey's and whites which are significantly less. I believe the hormones have lessened the amount of hair.