Thread: Acceptance at the Traditional service at church!

Acceptance at the Traditional service at church!

I made my mind up that I would attend the Traditional service at church today! I got there early! A young man held the door open for me! I thanked him in my Lana Mae voice! I picked up a bulletin and went and sat down in the sanctuary! The choir was rehearsing in the balcony! People started coming in! One lady sat in the pew in front of me! When we got to greet your neighbor she came back and greeted me! We chatted for a few seconds! Everything went fine! I spoke and sang with my Lana Mae voice through the entire service! When it was time to leave, two 30's to 40's ladies approached from the opposite side of the church and shook my hand and welcomed me and said I should come back as often as I like! One even complimented me on my blouse although she called it a sweater! LOL I shook hands with the pastor and he said it was good to see me and wasn't I usually at the contemporary service? I told him I wanted to give the traditional service a try! He was smiling the whole time! I came home and related this to my daughter, then went to the store! I am bursting with acceptance! LOL Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Good for you. Knowing the area where you live, makes one admire your efforts even more. And good karma to the congregation and pastor.

Aspiring Member
    I attend a United Church of Christ church that voted over a year ago to be completely open and accepting. Most members are straight but have no problem with our gay and lesbian members...........................Leanne

Aspiring Member
    I’m glad you had a good experience. I find your outings to be courageous given where you live !

Laura: I just want to live my life on my terms is all! All of this to me is almost overwhelming! The acceptance/tolerance!
    Leanne: This is a Methodist church and is accepting but without publicly saying it is!
    Nikki: I don't know about courageous! Maybe foolhardy! LOL
    Thanks for your responses!
    Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!

Lana Mae:

I’m Episcopalian, and as you know, recently moved to N.C. I’m hoping to find an accepting congregation in the Winston-Salem area after we’ve settled in a bit more. I’m encouraged to hear that a Methodist church is stealthily accepting. The Episcopal Church of North America is officially LGBTQ+ friendly (a position that caused a huge rift years back), but I worry that may not be the position of churches across the South. I guess my own prejudices and fears are bubbling to the surface.

Your success is inspirational. Did you first attend there in male mode, or have they only known you as Lana Mae?

Rhonda
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Be all the woman that you can be!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    . . . and now, On With The Show!

Lana Mae, it's good that you can satisfy your worship needs and be accepted.
    I have some questions for you: did they know you're trans?
    Without wanting to get into a theological or religious argument, much or less, What's the difference between contemporary and traditional service?

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Lana Mae, I'm glad that you feel great on church and feel accepted. The need for worship is sometimes so important as eat.
    I'm curious about some things, without entering in theological details because is not my intention to get into religion, what's the difference between traditional and contemporary service?
    Do they know you're trans?
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

Aspiring Member
    Devi, a traditional church service features 3 or 4 hymns from 20 to 100 years ago being sung by the congregation and or choir. The music is usually provided by an organ or piano. After each hymn the congregation is told to be seated. The pastor usually prays a prayer while the congregation is silent. Somewhere in the service an offering is collected. The preacher spends 30 to 40 minutes preaching his sermon, scripture is read out of the bible. Of course there are exceptions to these points. A contemporary church service features a group of micro-phoned singers standing on a stage like area accompanied by live music played by a band onstage. Everyone sings modern "praise" music which often features the same words being sung over and over again. Large speakers make it hard to hear the person next to you sing. Often this praise music will last up to a half hour with everyone in the church standing the whole time. Sermons are sometimes similar to an adult Sunday school lesson. Often the subject matter is how to live in our modern technological world. Now this is just my opinion but if you wished that you had ear plugs in to muffle the loud music then you are in a contemporary service. That being said, two of our four adult children belong to contemporary churches. Neither style is better than the other. Now don't come down on me too hard about this.Just trying to answer your question................... Leanne

Rhonda: I first attended back a few years with my wife! The pastor knows I am trans but not sure about anyone else! Like I say, I know I do not pass! They treat me with the utmost respect! Just like they would treat any new attendee! I have heard that it is mostly up to individual churches as to how they treat us! I think a lot of them are doing a stealth thing as many have signs or on their websites that everyone is welcome!
    Devi: I just started attending one Sunday and no one asked anything! All I got was a bunch of good mornings and one lady put her hand on my shoulder as she said good morning. Glad you are here! Contemporary is more modern Christian music generally played by a band! It is also called Praise and Worship! You are up and down just a few times! Traditional is old hymns with organ or piano music and you recite and sing from a Hymnal! Lots of standing and then sitting and then standing again repeat as needed! I enjoy both! Contemporary is a more relaxed atmosphere and Traditional is a more formal type!
    Leanne: Your explanation is just fine!
    Thank you ladies for your replies!
    Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!

Thanks Leanne and Lana Mae for you explanations.
    Now I think it's worshipable they received you in the traditional service.
    I asked because I was born in a Pentecostal evangelical south American church, later get into de seventh day adventist church, traditional as you gals, very well described, I end my religious life, without asking, being pastors wife and me in a contemporary very charismatic church.
    Times has changed and I often say that may be in 20 or 30 more years to talk about LGBTQ will be as rare or a historic topic as we talk today about slavery...

Devi
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION