Thread: Offerred to sit for portrait session .

Banned Read only

Offerred to sit for portrait session .

The next subject on my art group program is a live portrait session , it's often difficult to get people to sit for so I considered offering to sit for them . Currently I'm reading up on a French , Victorian artist named James Tissot , I love his subject matter and his eye for detail . I took some of his examples to show my group , they loved them but pointed out people don't wear clothes depicted in his work anymore .

So then I made the suggestion of sitting for them , pointing out I could wear something either along the lines of a full flowing dress to give them the opportunity to draw flowing fabric or I could wear something more fitted to show the form of the person ( no not my swimsuit or naked ! ) . David who runs the group was a little surprised but liked the idea very much as did the members who overheard the conversation but he did follow on by saying he had already managed to find a sitter , however he would take me up on my offer the next time we need a sitter .

Some of the group asked if I'd be nervous , so I replied not in the least , I'd photographed people for thirty years and often had to stand in to show people how to pose , it would be very interesting to be the subject for a change and far more interesting sitting as Teresa . Some members of the group have never drawn a live sitter before , I'm always amazed what people achieve for their first efforts .

The one problem that may arise is David is always looking for work to display in our annual exhibition , it might be a slighty tricky one to explain Teresa appearing as an exhibit .
    Last edited by Teresa; 02-03-2020 at 02:18 PM.

Theresa. Do it. Unless the other artists in your class are really really good at portraiture, I suspect anyone who visits the gallery and sees a portrait of Theresa will not make the connection to your former self. It won’t be of photo quality after all. Again, do it, and of course, share a photo of the portrait here.

Best,
    Rhonda
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Be all the woman that you can be!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    . . . and now, On With The Show!

Why are you worried that your portrait might appear in an art exhibition? After all, has you so often remind us on this site, you are 24/7 out in the RW.

Teresa,

Dressing in something flowing could present a real challenge for the students. I've seen the Madona and child statue by Michelangelo and one of the things that elevates it's importance is just how Michelangelo makes the clothing to have real weight to it.

As for offering an explanation the only one I can see being required is the reason you sat, someone was needed, not that you sat as Teresa.

Banned Read only
    Kaye,
    It was just a reference to my son or wife visiting the exhibition , yes I am out full time but neither of them have seen me as Teresa . They've only discovered the fact that I've been returning to my old home town as Teresa to attend the art group . They had no idea one of my previous paintings had me sitting in it and that went on display but it was a side /back view .

Helen,
    That is what my offer was all about , first to give my group the chance to draw a figure in flowing items and also to fill the gap if no one else could be found to sit .

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    It was just a reference to my son or wife visiting the exhibition , yes I am out full time but neither of them have seen me as Teresa .
    The pictures at the exhibition wouldn't all be of you, right?
    So - you're worried that they might:

1. visit the exhibition
    2. notice the picture
    3 figure out that it's you in the picture.

OK.

AND???

You are living as you.
    They know you are living your life as you.
    So what's the problem?
    If they happen to see a picture of you - big deal. If they don't like it, they can move on to the next picture - or even leave.
    Who knows? They just might see it and think "Hey, what was I worried about? She's lovely and looks so happy."

You still worry too much - and give away your power too quickly.

Banned Read only
    SaraLin,
    You are so right but I will be the only one on the receiving end of my wife's reaction not members of the forum !!

It's hard to know how many pictures if any could end up on display , obviously David only selects the best work but he also likes every member to have at least one piece of work on display . The twist to this story and one that's just occured to me is the work is often for sale , so there is an outside possibilty I could end up hanging on anyones wall .

For all that's been said , I would still go ahead and do it if I was asked , it is my life now , my actions don't really affect anyone elses life .
    Last edited by Teresa; 02-04-2020 at 08:04 AM.

Seems like a big nothing burger. Way to many coincidences need to go right (or wrong) for any relevance.

You could no longer live with your wife so you left her and moved to a different town to live as a crossdresser full time. She knows about your crossdressing yet you fear her reaction should you ever sit for a novice to paint so well (or poorly) that the man shows through and she happens to deeply analyze just the right one among many and recognize you on that canvas at an exhibit you may not even be in and she may not even attend?

If you hold out hope for her to have a sudden magical realization that she wants to rekindle the flames with a crossdresser then just don't do it and be thankful you never divorced her.

Banned Read only
    Tracy,
    I totally agree , it's so stacked against the odds it's bound to happen .

No way would I want to rekindle my relationship with my wife the divorce can't come soon enough , I hope I can finally put this all behind me . As you've chosen to throw a label in the mix maybe you could use TG and not CDer , I wouldn't be living this lifestyle as a CDer .

Teresa,
    You have every right to not identify as a crossdresser on a website called Crossdressers.com in a Forum of that website titled Male to Female Crossdressers in a Sub-Forum titled Male to Female Crossdressing. It was not my intent to offend.

You are a valuable part of this community. Not only do some of us follow your story with reckless abandon but you also help prove my point that crossdressing has nothing to do with presenting as a woman. Thank you!

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    How many hours do u have to sit still? I KNOW u get breaks.

But, it still would be impossible for me to do that, Teresa!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Sounds like you will enjoy doing it.
    Angie

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Sounds like you will enjoy doing it.
    Angie

Banned Read only
    Tracy,
    I appreciate that ,many thanks .

Sherry,
    The sessions start at 10.00am and we break for coffee at 11.00 and then restart at 11.30 until 12.30 but there is also an afternoon session . I was going to suggest some poses I've used in my photographic portrait sittings .

I will admit I'm not into life drawing , I find it too static compared with posing for photographs , it only takes a slight shift of the head or subtle use of the hands and arms to get a great picture , it's hard to achieve that when the subject has to be static for some time , that's another reason why I offered to sit for them .

Angie,
    Yes I would have enjoyed it , it's also about building my confidence for the time when I get my own group up and running .
    Last edited by Teresa; 02-04-2020 at 04:48 PM.