Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wish I had more courage

Wish I had more courage

During the week I was asked by a co-worker if I wanted to hang out and jam and have a few beers with a few friends of his, I don't really play guitar that well and I never played with anyone else and I'm kind shy and conservative person. I went on Wednesday and after a few songs I guess they wanted to feel me out asked me if I wanted to play with them on Friday at a small bar and told me that there's probably 20 people there if even. Well I knew my wife had plans and it was my traditional Maria drive night but I told them it would be fine. Last night my co-worker picked me up and when we got to the bar we went into a storage room with a couch and just started getting ready. My friend went to the washroom and when he came back he was wearing what I thought were black pants but at a closer look he was wearing leggings with a black long tshirt, he took of his shoes and then I realized we was wearing tights and out of a bag he pulled out these boots with a heel on them. I didn't say anything but then the bass player came in and he was wearing black leather pants with big holes with what looked like fishnet material sown into them, but then when he took off his shoes I seen his fishnet feet, and he also pulled out a pair of ankle boots that had a thin gold heel on them, obviously women boots and he said he's short and makes him feel better. I turned to my friend and asked him why he didn't tell me that they had a theme in there band. They explained to me that during the week they are parents and workers but when they play they are in there own minds rock stars and want to express themselves what ever way they want. As we were talking the drummer walked in wearing black pants and a see threw lacy shirt. I sarcastically thanked them that I was already nervous and now I was going to stand out like a sore thumb wearing jeans and a black t-shirt and if anyone knew if there was a Walmart near by so I could buy some tights and a black dress. I laughted but they said "whatever you want bro". I felt good with them because we were all almost the same age, I played but I just pretty much followed mostly just playing power chords and afterwards they had a lot of there friends there and they told me the band sounded good with me there. It was fun but they didn't talk about any future plans with me. I wish I was more open and had more courage and not care what people think like the band members,they weren't in fem but it was percent in there cloths. If I had more courage I would love to dress like those girls in the black dresses in the Robert Palmer video Addicted to love. Like I said they never asked me for a next time but if they do maybe not a black dress but I will try to find the courage to wear some fem. All around sitting here feeling like a rock star and wondering if anyone else here has had a chance to show there fem side through over activates.

Just being true to myself Jolene Robertson's Avatar
    That's a cool story, I should be so lucky. Hope they call you back. My band is way too straight laced for that and everyone in the area knows me. I'd chicken out if someone did offer to let me play dressed like that.

Maria, You cannot beat yourself up over this missed opportunity cause you had no idea. My guess is you will be invited again and then you will be ready.
    Crissy

I had to comment because I'm sitting next to my 24 track portable studio and there's a Gibson SG, and Fender Duo-Sonic along with a keyboard and bass within arms reach. Rock on sister, I hope they ask you to join the band and you get more comfortable up on stage. If you're following along playing power chords by watching them you obviously know what you're doing and you could teach them a thing or two or three about their presentation.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Great story and I have been there done that so many times I lost count.
    Glad the show went off well and the "band" had a great time.
    I filled in for a girl guitar player in an all girl 80s rock band for a few shows.
    The guitar player had family business and had to travel so the girls in the band knew I played and was a CDer so they asked me.
    The band had 3 great shows and I will always remember the fun we had.
    Most of the clothes I wore in the bands I was in back in the 80s and 90s were womens so it was accepted quite well.

Practicing the girl bands set list in full femme to get used to it
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tracii G; 02-08-2020 at 03:11 PM.

Tracii, Great pic! I knew you would be posting on this thread.
    Crissy

Hey there is nothing wrong with a Little Rock outfit! I play bass guitar myself but sadly I’m a solo act...A9A45B80-12DC-4C32-9249-8D0096443DF5.jpg

Maybe instead of a LBD, maybe some kick ass boots, fishnets, and a female band tank. Maybe some not pants or instead of fishnets wear some leggings. It’s femm but not over the top! I hope you get to play with them again! It’s always a rush to play on stage!
    “Hatred only breeds more hatred.” -The Invid Regis

“We are star stuff. We are the universe made manifest... trying to figure itself out”. - Delenn

There was an all girl glam metal band near me looking for a second guitar player. For a split second Joss thought about auditioning, but put that to rest. How heavenly to wear a short black satin mini, thigh hi boots and a lacy bra with my hair and makeup to glitzed up.
    If you only knew the power of the pink fog! ~Joss

I prefer just above knee length myself over mini skirts. I dance around way to much and been know to kick. I also do this move where I bend over backwards as far as I can while playing. I don’t want to give that much fan service! But in that photo I am wearing a mini 3 tiered mini skirt.

If you can find a band to play that you can glam up, do it. I have been looking g for a new band since I moved away from my old one.
    “Hatred only breeds more hatred.” -The Invid Regis

“We are star stuff. We are the universe made manifest... trying to figure itself out”. - Delenn

Platinum Member
    I agree...don?t feel bad about the first time out. Maybe there will be a next time and you can push the boundaries as far as you dare...and then just a little farther still
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    Could you even find a stage worthy dress at Walmart? LoL

Quote Originally Posted by Jolene Robertson View Post
    That's a cool story, I should be so lucky. Hope they call you back. My band is way too straight laced for that and everyone in the area knows me. I'd chicken out if someone did offer to let me play dressed like that.
    Funny you should describe your band as straight laced.

Here's the definition pf straight laced from m-w.com

Definition of straitlaced

1: excessively strict in manners, morals, or opinion

2: wearing or having a bodice or stays tightly laced
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

So we’re talking rock and roll and crossdressing, let me educate y’all on a bit of music history. One of the most influential artists of the punk era, you’ve likely never heard of. Wayne County was seminal in the development of punk music. She performed many years crossdressed and her band “Wayne County and the Electric Chairs” was a huge influence on bands like the Ramones. Some years later she ended up transitioning and becoming Jayne County. The moral of this story is that we think of rock music kind of being the ultimate Machismo in a lot of ways, but the trans and CD influence is very much a part of rock music. So next time you play, just think of Jayne County and let your freak flag fly!

Hi Mikki I was thinking of Wayne County and the New York dolls when I was reading this too . Hope you get asked again Maria !! I use to sing [scream] in a couple of punk bands was a lot of drunken fun .Although I never done in dressed but if I did I doubt I would've got hassled as anything goes in the punk scene

And then there is Mrs. Smith.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsDCEx-Shv8

Taylor, I had just about forgotten about her. Do you know if her real identity was ever revealed? She could shred. Would have figured NAMM being a few weeks ago she would have resurfaced.
    If you only knew the power of the pink fog! ~Joss

Wow, this is the last place I expected to see a reference to NAMM. We have a lot of guitar players here. Maybe we should consider starting a gear section where we can discuss musical equipment.

But seriously, I see references to other artistic pursuits besides music. Has anyone else wondered if we are more likely to engage in artistic expression? Is that hunch worthy of a university study or do you think it's a coincidence? I can't recall ever participating in any forum discussion where so many played music.

We do seem to be a creative bunch; don't we?
    I am a vessel of the goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.

Wow! Mrs Smith is AWESOME!
    I am a vessel of the goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.

Banned Spammer
    Mrs Smith some say is Steve Vai.
    Star01 go to the lounge section and look under hobbies and you will see a lot of guitar comments.
    I have been to summer NAMM a few times and it was fun.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 02-09-2020 at 12:38 PM.

Tracii G, thanks for suggesting that I check out the Lounge. I took a quick look at a few of the post and it's a fun section to visit and get to know more about fellow forum members.

Banned Spammer
    You are welcome.

Aspiring Member
    It sounds to me like you should say to them something like, "I had fun, if you need a guitar again let me know". You would let them know you weren't freaked out by the dressing and would be up for it again. Go for it! Sherrii

Reality Check
    Long time professional musician here (retired). Back in the day, we wore matching suits and ties (think Temptations, Four Tops, etc.). As time wore on, we wore matching slacks and shirts. When I began playing country music, it was jeans and western shirts and cowboy boots. Towards the end, it was just nice jeans and a nice shirt.

I have never played in a band that dressed as women (except on Halloween and that wasn't trying to look like women, it was trying to look like guys trying to look like women). I have never even seen a band that dressed as women or been to a place that would have such a band.

I suppose times change and of course some things fly in some places but not others. My problem with dressing like a woman would be that I would do too good a job and people would suspect that I don't just do it when playing music.
    Krisi