Thread: Zero reaction

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Zero reaction

I saw KlaireLarnia's earlier post about getting "No response" when she wore a dress to work for the first time, and it made me think of a similar recent experience during a night out.
    Elissa and I spent the night at a nice downtown hotel in January to celebrate our 6-month "anniversary" (we met on July 1). A few days before, she called me and asked "What are you wearing?"
    "Probably a green cord skirt and the black speckled top that's like yours," I said. "And a black cardigan, hose and clogs."
    "Oh okay, so you're not getting a super dressed up."
    "No, I thought about wearing a dress but it's going to be cold."
    "Yeah me too."
    She did end up wearing a dress but with a big wooly cardigan and leggings and boots.
    So that night we went to the hotel bar first and had a drink. The place was packed. I had my hair curled, full makeup and a deep red nail polish on. I have found that people -- waiters, bartenders, other customers -- tend to be super-friendly to us when we're both in girl mode. After that we went to a nice Middle Eastern restaurant, strolled around downtown, and then had a nightcap before returning to the hotel.
    The point of this story is that I got no discernible response. Not a second look, or a comment, or a double-take -- nothing. Like many of you, I have a strong radar for people reacting to the way I'm dressed, even if they don't say anything. This night there was literally nothing on the radar screen. That included the nightcap when we ended up sitting next to a rather boisterous, and drunk, couple who seemed very middle-of-the-road .. They kidded around with us for a while and even the guy didn't raise an eyebrow at my appearance.
    Elissa and I talked about it when we got back to our room. She'd noticed the same thing, i.e., nothing. (And she's already very used to noticing people's reactions "behind my back," as it were.). To get no reaction whatsoever was , umm, unusual. And I think it is a sign of the times. People are used to seeing trans and gender fluid persons in everyday life. Increasingly it's not even worth noticing, much less commenting upon.
    It's a new era and I hope all of you will find a way to be fully yourself in full public view. You will be so happy you did.
    Last edited by Di; 02-16-2020 at 03:04 AM. Reason: the term of white conservative and liberal is taking the reply’s off on a political way/ deleting them / per rules non poli