Well, finally took the plunge and went out all dolled up. I met a fellow CDer a few weeks ago who put out the offer of spending some time together out and about while dressed. Took a few weeks of hemming and hawing on my part, but today decided, "Why not?"
I actually had a good time. I had all the usual reservation. The anxiety of what people will say, will the laugh at me, etc. Don't think I could of done it without her. She made sure I was ok with it and was mindful of how I was feeling.
Went to several stores. Didn't stay too long in each one. The back of my brain kept telling me ppl were going to stare, talk about us, giggle in our direction. Didn't happen though (or I didn't see it). In fact, we weren't treated any different. Heck, in one store, the security guard told us "Have a good night mame and drive safe". Even stopped in at an adult store where my friend knew the clerk just to say hi.
Final test was stopping for a bite to eat. Crowded restaurant on a Saturday night. All kinds of thoughts in my head. But I pulled my big girl panties up, straightened my skirt and did it. No glares, no pointing. It was pretty awesome.
Just had to share my story. Thanks!