Thread: Changing Perceptions, One Tortilla Chip At A Time

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Changing Perceptions, One Tortilla Chip At A Time

*** I was going to post this in the TS section, but it's not strictly on-topic for that section, and one of the moderators there is such a hard-ass about that rule, so...

Last night I joined my friends Jeri Ann and Stephanie for dinner at a local TexMex restaurant. It's part of a chain, but known for consistently good food and service. This particular location is also rather far from the more "cosmopolitan" parts of Houston, so I anticipated the occasional wide-eyed, and even gape-mouted stares. When I arrived, the place was packed, and we had to wait about a half hour for a table. As expected, the gapers were there, but with the exception of one man at a nearby table, who was visibly hostile, what looks we got, were the usual transient expressions of surprise and amusement.

I played with the stink-eye dude, smiling every time I caught his eye. He quickly became so uncomfortable and stopped looking our way. I win!

Shortly after we ordered, a middle aged couple sat down at the bar almost across the narrow aisle from us. We did seem to make them a little uncomfortable, as tends to happen around here when the less "cosmopolitan" patrons first notice. As Jeri Ann observed though, they were unusually interested in each other as well; "Definitely not married..." was her assessment. I agreed, suggesting that they were business "associates", attending some convention across the highway, at the NRG Convention Center.

Somewhere about this time, a young woman showed up with the cart carrying the ingredients and tools to prepare the "table side" guacamole that I had ordered for us. As I said, the aisle was narrow, and the worker and cart completely blocked it, becoming the center of attention for all seated nearby, including the couple seated almost across from us. It's quite the production and well worth the wait.

We had barely consumed half of the bowl by the time we were ready to leave. Jeri Ann suggest that we might offer to share the delicious green stuff with the nearby couple. Seeing an opportunity to make a positive impression on at least two people, I caught the women's eye as I held up the bowl and pointed to it, mouthing (it was very noisy) "Want some?" She looked suprised, then clapped her hands together, smiling and nodding. So I passed the dish and a fresh basket of tortilla chips to them. I'd estimate that they were pleased, as they'd consumed much of it by the time we'd paid and passed their table. They both smiled, thanking us sincerely.

Unfortunately, I forgot to check with stink-eye dude, but I'd also estimate that my friends and I became at least a little bit more normal to at least a few of the patrons there that night.
    Last edited by Aunt Kelly; 02-16-2020 at 02:25 PM.
    Calling bigotry an "opinion" is like calling arsenic a "flavor".