Quote Originally Posted by Rachelakld View Post
Single entities seem the most common here, which surprises me as I don't understand why a man would want to dress up as a woman - unless they are just acting a part, but if they are just acting, why not Viking or super hero?
I had a long loquacious thought formulated and got timed out again! Rats! Anyway, I do not understand all this myself. I do not have an answer as to why I feel the need to wear women's clothing and emulate a woman. I have made comments over the decade I've been here that I do not and never will wear women's pants/jeans. It's not me. I ascribed my comfort zone to the time period I was raised...the 1950's and 1960's. In my neighborhood women wore dresses. There was one women, a divorced woman-yikes, she was treated as toxic waste who wore pants. Pants and a divorced woman....shunned, shunned and some more. So, for me it's dresses. On the other side of the coin my wife, daughter and granddaughter at times during their lives have and still wear men's clothing for reasons other than sexual identity or expression. My skinny butt granddaughter finds young men's jeans fit better. Men's clothing is cheaper. My daughter wore men's jeans because they had pockets. And, were cheaper. My granddaughter has been given my old flannel shirts because they are warm and cozy. None of these women have any desire to emulate a man.

Do I have two personalities? No. When do I don women's clothing? What causes me to dig into the boxes of women's wear? Usually when I am under some sort of stress. Maybe someone will say I am escaping. Could be. Probably, because I feel absolutely fine in my male role. As a male I have not angst in the kitchen cooking or baking because some perceive those functions to be a woman's role. Of course, call me a chef instead of a cook, and, all is forgiven.

My fall back position for lack of another is what my PTSD counselor has said. She ascribes to the belief (no scientific evidence?) that each man and woman has some DNA of the opposite sex in their genetic profile. In some it is greater than others. That may explain the entire spectrum stuff floating around. Where do I fall? I suppose at the minimum range. Of course, nurturing comes into play. Societal norms and expectations come into play. Religion comes into play. Government and politicians come into play.

Also, Why would I want to dress up as a Viking (presumably not a shield maiden) if I am not of Viking heritage? I probably have more female DNA in me than Viking blood!