Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Closer still to name change!

Closer still to name change!

I went to an appointment with my attorney today! I went early and she was late! While I waited the receptionist/secretary had me fill out some forms for info purposes! She complimented me on how pretty I looked and then noticed my necklace and said she loved it! It is a beaded tassel on a gold chain! She said I had good taste! Attorney arrived and we discussed the things that need to be done! I had to give two personal references that live in the county! I gave my boss and a co-worker! I did not know the co-worker's middle initial so I had to get that! Total cost is $605 and other than getting my fingerprints for the criminal checks, she does the rest! She said she would immediately post the letter for name change in the courthouse(has to be there 10 days)She is just so bubbly! She shook my hand and then gave me a big hug! She stated the criminal report from the SBI will take the longest! I had read it would be the FBI but she said no, they are quick about it! She answered all of my questions!
    I then went to work to get the co-worker's middle initial! I walked to a few residents' rooms and greeted them as Lana Mae! The middle initial was "H"! I called the attorney's office after I got home with that info! While I was at work they asked if I could work 3-11 as the med tech was sick! I reluctantly said yes! Tomorrow I am going to get my fingerprints done for the criminal reports! I will keep you advised!
    Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Yea! A great first step on this path!! Congratulations.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Be all the woman that you can be!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    . . . and now, On With The Show!

Congratulations Lana Mae.
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

Today, had fingerprints done and took them to attorney's office! I had to sign the letter of name change and bring in my birth certificate! Mine was the original from 1951! I had to give it up as she is going to change my gender marker as well! I will receive a new birth certificate with Lana Mae W------ and female on it! I will truly be Lana Mae! My two personal references have to go to the attorney's office and sign something! Moving forward at the speed of light! LOL Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!

Yeah! Very fast!
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    That's all great news Lana Mae. I like the way that sounds and I think you will wear it well.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

I spent the afternoon trying to find what is needed for name changes for different entities I must deal with in the near future! Mostly contact customer service! I need birth certificate and court order for social security and drivers licence! (Hope PA is on the ball with that birth certificate!) Got a folder and notebook to help keep track of it all! I got a handy brochure at the local DMV! This is going to be a lot of work but the end result is worth it! Hugs Lana Mae Thanks everyone for your responses!
    Life is worth living!

You do not need your birth certificate for Social Security. You already have a SS number. All that is required is a photo ID and the court order. That is why you get the DL changed first. You do not need a birth certificate to change your name and gender marker anywhere. The birth certificate is needed to get a passport by not change one.

My two personal references went yesterday together to sign the papers! Moving along! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!

OK, I had to look! I went to the courthouse and looked at the bulletin board and there it was! The letter my attorney wrote! It should not matter much but that made it so REAL! Oh, my! Must be up 10 days! Then the possible wait for the criminal checks and then(I think) to the judge with it! Closer every day! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!

Aspiring Member
    I'm thinking about name change as well, as I need to travel to Europe in November. So I either need a new passport, or have to travel in male mode. That will be 8 months after starting HRT and going full-time!!! Not sure I can pull that off.

My problem is complicated by the fact that I live in Quebec for more than a year (36 years to be exact), and need to process the name change here, but I was born in Ontario and need to update my birth certificate there so I can apply for my passport (federal government). So two provincial and one federal government involved. Promises to be a bureaucratic mess.

And speaking of name changes, "Jean" is no longer my femme name. Jean is actually my real name (the French version of "John") but for crossdressing purposes I rendered it as anglophone version of Jean, the girl's name. It's too complicated to manage now that I am out and in transition, so I have chosen "Elena" as my new name to carry me through transition and beyond.

Jean(Elena), my attorney is changing my birth certificate and I live in NC but was born in PA! She is taking care of it all! I do not know how it works in Canada but you might need to check that out! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!

> I either need a new passport, or have to travel in male mode.

Honestly, it should be fine. I have flown several times now looking like my avatar and using my old passport with my legal (male) name, M gender and old photo complete with bald head. I just say yep that's me alright; obviously it's an old photo ha ha. They took a closer look and yep that's you alright, ok off you go. The homeland security website explicitly says they don't care, they only care if you're pretending to be someone else, which you're not. And indeed that's how it worked out.

But back to the OP - that's great progress Lana Mae. I know that your hands are tied about how you present at work until the name/gender change goes through so it's great to see it making such progress.

I went to the courthouse and the letter was posted on 2/27 so 10 days is 3/8 and 10 business days is Wednesday the 11th! so I am off work the 9th, Monday and the 11th and will check in with the attorney one of those days! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!

I got back both criminal checks and took them to the attorney's office! I was driving to do something else but it took me past her office so I stopped in and she was not there! So I checked on the way back and missed her again! I called the office and she was in! She needs all the rest of the money and she will take it all to the court house to schedule the hearing! I got off the phone and took her the hundred I had been holding back and I get my SS check on Wednesday so I will pull $200 from it! This has gone so fast! She was also amazed as the SBI usually takes up to a month! Tell you more when I have more! Hugs Lana Mae
    Last edited by Lana Mae; 03-09-2020 at 04:08 PM.
    Life is worth living!

A possible step backwards! Nothing major but the paper I had thought for years was my birth certificate was actually an official birth announcement! I now need to get an official copy of my birth certificate! Cost as of now-unknown! Well at least I know my attorney is working on all of this! LOL LM
    Life is worth living!

doh.png

Never mind! You're getting there and I don't imagine the real birth cert will be too hard to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeri Ann View Post
    You do not need your birth certificate for Social Security. You already have a SS number. All that is required is a photo ID and the court order. That is why you get the DL changed first.
    It might depend on the state you're in. In Massachusetts, the registry coordinates name data with the Social Security database, so you have to change your SS card before you change your license, otherwise the changes you make at the registry will get overwritten. So in MA, we change our SS card first, then change our driver's licenses and bank records (banks also coordinate with the SS database.) I did all of them in one day because the banks and the registry accept the receipt from SS as evidence you made the change. I don't know if that works everywhere. Jeri Ann is in Texas and I'm in MA, so you're going to have to check what it's like in NC.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Great progress, even with the birth certificate hang up!

It will take a long time to get your name changed on everything. For me, I changed the everyday stuff quickly, but for various rarely-used accounts and stuff I always had more pressing things to do, especially since some places don’t make it easy to process a name change. A bit over two years since my legal name change, and I’m still tying up a few loose ends.

I had the same issue with what I’d always thought was my birth certificate; years before transition, I found it out when I’d applied for a passport. When our kids were born, they didn’t give us official birth certificates either, so we had to order the real thing later for their passports. Silly that hospitals don’t automatically provide the correct type of birth certificate.
    The end of fear is the beginning of wisdom -- Bertrand Russell

After over two years of name changing on stuff a birth certificate has never been required, even for passport. If you are not changing your name on a passport but getting a new one yes, it is required. I have not changed my birth certificate. I never think about it.

Pat,
    In Texas changing the name and gender marker on a DL required the proper form completed, the court order and $11.

Eemz: I think that maybe the coronavirus will delay it a bit but I can wait!
    Pat: Yes I will have to check it out more closely! Hi, Pat!
    Kath: I have made lists and gone over them but always come up with one more or some kind of interconnection with something else! It is a tangled web we weave! LOL I wish hospitals would/could do that!
    Jeri Ann: I did not think of it! The attorney included it in the package! A friend was born in Quam and wished to change her's and the attorney said she couldn't do it! I don't know the full story but I just feel lucky that it is not more complicated than it is!
    Thanks so much for your responses, Ladies!
    Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!

Wow. I got the forms on line, filled them out went to court house filed them got a court date $165.00. then went to newspaper gave the the paper, talked about their timing and court date. Went back to court house changed the date, then went back to the newspaper changed the date on form. They set it up and processes it $250.00. then went back to court house went to DMV with court order. Since I moved I needed a proof of address she told me go upstairs get your registration changed with new address. Did that and changed my title to new address and name . Took it back down to DMV she filed everything for new license I asked is she could change my gender marker she replied "already did" took my photo. I left with a temporary and two weeks later I received my new official license. Oh yeah I did spend $50 for 15 minutes with a lawyer to verify I was going things right.
    Now slowly I am changing name on all the other things. Everyone I have talked to you change names on credit cards, banks, life insurance has been very positive and fantastic to deal with. Congratulations, happy for me you name it no negative remarks.

Finally got my Birth Certificate from Pa.! Of course, the attorney is not doing face to face so... I left a message on her answering machine! I am still probably looking at next year until it will be done(per me not her)! Virtual Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!

Pretty informative topic.

Lana Mae,

That is exciting. I'm happy for you.

Robin
    I'm just trying to find a decent melody
    A song that I can sing in my own company

U2