Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Closer still to name change!

A US passport application requires a birth certificate.

Come on! In my county courts keep closed for not essential processes.....what a bummer.
    I can start in a new job I was before but I want to do it with the new name and gender.....
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeri Ann View Post
    A US passport application requires a birth certificate.
    I do have a valid US Passport. So I will be basically just changing the gender and name marker. Also, I won't be able to change my birth certificate because it is from another country, which just few weeks ago added anti-LGBT laws into their constitution. I will let you make a guess.

---------------------------
    My excitement didn't last long on how fast everything is moving. After reading Lana Mae's post, I thought let me make a an appointment to local DMV to submit the application for driver's license (no in person visit at the moment). The earliest available appointment I was able to secure is August 31! It's 5 weeks away . Or well, I can do other things without it meanwhile.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Devi SM View Post
    Come on! In my county courts keep closed for not essential processes.....what a bummer.
    I can start in a new job I was before but I want to do it with the new name and gender.....
    Hi Devi,

Since I am going through this with HR - you are right. When you start, they have to submit federal forms to verify your eligibility. However, if your name change, they have to do it again. With that being said, it is not a huge deal for HR, so if the job is right, don't risk of losing it I guess.

You cannot just change the gender marker on a US passport. Even though you have a valid passport, it will require getting a new passport, including all associated fees.

Do not attempt to do it online. The system will default you to the wrong form. You must use form DS-11. Get a copy from the post office. Unless the procedure has changed, and I don?t think it has, you will need DL, current, valid passport, a letter from your doctor, a photo and two checks, one for $35 and one for $110.

Others here have gone through this in the past. There was a thread on this back in December 2018, I think.

I do not want to hijack Lana Mae?s thread but this is important. Maybe I need to do a sticky.

Congrats L.M.

Aspiring Member
    Hi Jeri,

I usually complete the fillable PDF form and then go to my County Clerk Office to get picture taken and application for new passport submitted. It much more convenient that at post office and processing fee stays in the county and doesn't go to Washington DC. I think the valid US Passport can be used as a form of ID. I don't think I need new driver's license with new name/gender to apply for a passport, as long as I have court order name change and a letter from a doctor. So considering the long wait time go get the passport, I can submit the passport application first.

Katya

I did not know that a county clerks office conducted business for the federal government. Yes, the $35 processing fee goes to whoever processes the application. Supporting the US Postal service is a good thing to do.

If you do not submit a current photo I.D., you will get turned down. I was turned down twice on fabricated technicalities. You can multiply the long wait time by however many times you do not follow the process. I even got a rude denial letter addressed to MR. Do not jack with the federal government.

This is what is required:

1. Form DS-11

2. Medical certification letter from doctor. (There is specific wording required on the letter).

3. Certified copy of court order for name change.

4. Driver's license and photocopy (copy was mailed with application).

5. Old passport under my old name/gender, which was still valid, only five months old (to prove my citizenship. it was mailed in with my application). It did have a current photo.

6. Two checks for payment, $35 and $110.

A very happy/important day!!!LOL I received my Medicare card today! Yeah! LM
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Mae View Post
    A very happy/important day!!!LOL I received my Medicare card today! Yeah! LM
    Congratulation Lana Mae! You wont' have to here your old name at Doctor's offices!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeri Ann View Post
    If you do not submit a current photo I.D., you will get turned down[....].
    This is what is required:
    4. Driver's license and photocopy (copy was mailed with application).

Hi Jeri Ann,
    I am not sure if the rules have changed from what they used to be but I am pretty positive you don't need to have a valid photo ID with new name/gender marker when applying for US passport. First I confirmed it with County Clerk, and then I went to the website of Department of State, and they have Q&A on the Change of Sex Marker page (LINK). One Question was:
    "Do I need to have the sex on my birth certificate and/or driver's license changed before I can get it changed on my passport?"
    The answer is:
    "No, your (or your child's) citizenship evidence (e.g. U.S. birth certificate) and ID do not have to show the updated sex marker, but the photo on the ID must resemble the applicant's current appearance."

And on the same page, another question was related to the name:
    "Does my ID have to be in my current name?"
    The answer is:
    "No. Not if your name change occurred within one year of the date you submit your passport application. Your ID can be in either your current or previous name, as long as you submit a court order documenting your name change to the current name. If your name change occurred more than one year prior to your application, you must obtain an ID in your new name before a passport may be issued."

I will submit my application for passport (DS-11 form) on Monday at the county clerk office along with my court order change and the letter from the doctor. I do not expect any issues, but if I will get rejected for any reason, I will make sure to update you.

Katya

Good luck Katya

Katya: Thanks! Going to the doctor offices tomorrow so they can copy my Medicare and Part D cards! I do not plan on getting a passport but the info is interesting! Each state seems to have different standards to go by! When I went to get my Social Security card, (by phone) the lady said that they only needed the form and the court order as it had both names on it! Just glad that I could get through all of this so well! Hugs LM
    Life is worth living!

Katya and Jeri Ann

I was able to get my new passport with the gender and name change with out sending in my CA drivers license. They did reject it at first due to the photo taken at FedEx being a little out focus. When I sent in a new photo, they sent me my new 10 year passport. Although per their documentation a new passport with a gender change should have been good for two years. I guess I was lucky.

Lana Mae,
    Happy to hear your name change is now going so good. For the passport just follow the instructions on the State Departments web site and send it in via the US Post Office.

Richelle

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richelle View Post
    When I sent in a new photo, they sent me my new 10 year passport. Although per their documentation a new passport with a gender change should have been good for two years. I guess I was lucky.
    Hi Richelle,
    At least, as they rule stands today (per the link I shared before, if your letter from the doctor states that you have completed the transition, you get a 10 year passport. If it says you are in the process of transitioning, you get a 2 year passport.

There is a template to follow. The second part of my letter says (name changed from my real one):

[Katya] had undergone surgical, hormonal, or other appropriate clinical treatment for the individual for the purpose of gender transition from male to female, and in my professional opinion, Katya?s gender identity
    is female. I support her efforts to obtain identity documents that accurately reflect her female gender identity.

The key above was to show it was completed.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    Congratulations Lana Mae! That's great news and sounds like a great relief to me.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Remembered that I had not notified my medicare supplement insurer! So this morning sent a copy of the court order per their instructions! I will wait to notify the doctors and others until the card arrives! They pay the 20% that Medicare does not pay! Hugs LM
    Life is worth living!

Aspiring Member
    Hi Lana Mae,
    I can see how this list of changes never ends. Today was my day 1 of changes and I felt like I wanted to change it all and now...I started with passport, and SSA. Line for drivers license is long, last day of August. Certificate of Naturalization is next, at a whooping $550 fee.
    But walking to the bank was a delight today. The clerk called me she, and changed my bank info and ordered new cards.

Yes, Katya ,it seems the more you do the more needs done! Tomorrow is my drivers license! After I have that there are 5 others waiting for a copy of it! That includes work who also wants a birth certificate! It just goes on and on! LOL Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!

Aspiring Member
    Good luck tomorrow Lana Mae. I think driver's license is the most used photo ID, with the gender marker and you get it for 10 years. So I would say perhaps the most important one. When I went to take a photo for passport (10 years), and certificate of naturalization (for life), I only thought the night before about how would I look, but it was too late to do anything. I thought that perhaps would've been a good idea to get a light make up done at Ulta, just to look even better, considering how long I will be staring at this photo. Maybe I will do something like this for the drivers license. I don't own or do makeup but > wouldn't mind to have a light one for the photo sake.

Yeah, now have my temporary drivers license!!! The real one will come in two weeks! The picture is awful! Oh, well! LOL Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!

I have my hard copy of my drivers license! To loan co. and insurance office so they could copy it! Got payment book for Medicare supplement but not the card! Changed name at city water office! Lady who waited on me got on the computer! She asked who Harry was! I said, "Me! I am here to change my name!" She paused for a second and went back to the computer!
    At work, Kathy from the business office, copied my DL and SS card! She stated that they must print the checks with the name on the SS card!
    A talk with the boss! I told her it might be next year before I can get my birth certificate! She said to get my name tag changed and come dressed however I felt! So nice to have LANA MAE W------ on my name tag!
    I am currently on vacation! When I go back to work, I can wear my wig and BE LM! Feels great!
    I don't know if anyone is reading this thread anymore so this will be my last entry! I hope it helped someone!!
    Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!

Lana Mae has responded to her op for the last time so it is time to close the thread. It will still be available for reference.