Thread: Hrt!

Aspiring Member

Hrt!

Well a week or so ago I posted that I had decided to transition. I was on a waiting list for the endo, and on Monday the endo clinic called to say they had a cancellation and would I want to take the spot at 9:20 am this morning? You can guess my answer! I drove into the city last night (I live in the sticks about 100 km from Montreal), and took a cheap hotel thanks the the awful weather forecast. Didn't sleep all that great being nervous! I went presenting as a woman. Jeans and a nice pink knit top.

I figured I'd walk out with a requisition for lab work and it was going to be a few weeks before I finally got onto the hormones. Well, thanks to Quebec's excellent electronic medical records system, and since I'm diabetic and already undergo regular lab work, and since I asked my doc to include testosterone in the last workup last fall, the endo had all my lab data from last fall at his finger tips and he was satisfied with that. Soooo.... I walked out with a prescription for Androcur and Estradiol patches!!! So excited! I found the nearest pharmacy of the chain I normally use and quickly had the script filled.

I took my first androcur a few minutes ago and am about to install the first patch once I've carefully read all the instructions.

Day one of the New Woman is today! I've dreamed about this for the last 50+ years of my life. I was so emotional walking back to my car from the pharmacy. The endo also gave me a requisition for follow-up lab work in 4 months.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    Yay! Sometimes the fates seem to work in our favor. Best wishes as you follow this path!
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Hi Jean,

Wow! That was fast! Congratulations!

Marion

Jean,

Congratulations. I started my HRT, estradiol patch, on my birthday (PatchDay 1), my friend gave me one of hers so I could start that date, and then had to really wait for my prescriptions to be filled, a week or so later. So, according to the official rule book for transsexuals, which does not exist and no one follows, I actually started my trip to full time and post op on a close later date. That day became PatchDay 2. I put those in my cell phone calendar, and set that event to repeat yearly. Now I am reminded of that moment(s) every year. I use the twice weekly patches by Mylan. They are the size of a large rectangular postage stamp (perfect small size for my use) and I change them out (increased my dose twice) on the recommend days of Sunday and Wednesday. I have only lost a rare few and some times find them stuck somewhere. I just get out a bandage and tape it back in place.

When I change my USA Medicare prescription supplement insurance company, there were a lot of problems getting the new company to approve my out of quantity prescription. So, I ended up with a month of super large thicker round patches that were changed weekly. Well, that did not work well for me having those multiple large patches all over my torso and thighs. Now all is well and it is just an every Sunday and Wednesday routine task to do before I get dressed in the morning.

Enjoy the new changes and feelings to come, some medicinally induced and others just plain good feelings created in the mind as the journey really begins. I love your updates and please keep them coming, if not for me (I have been there and done that part now) then for all those newbies taking those first steps.

Thanks for sharing,

Allie

PS: PM me anytime if you want details or answers to questions. I may be able to help.

Yes, very good! Glad you got it started! I am at 15+ months and loving it! Sit back and enjoy the journey! So happy for you! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Aspiring Member
    Thanks ladies, really appreciate the support. I'm curious to discover when the "effects" will kick in. The endo told me that the T levels will come down pretty quick.

I do not remember exactly but I think with in a week, my breasts were starting to reshape and fill in (did not get much larger) and my body hair growth was greatly reduced! All this of course varies with the individual as it did during your first puberty! This is your second puberty! Hugs Lana Mae PM me if you like!
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    Congrats, enjoy the ride. Effects? I could tell a difference inside on day 1. By the end of the week I was sure I had made the right choice. Physical effects?? Maybe a few months in I began to notice super small changes starting.

Aspiring Member
    Hmm... my nipples are starting to be a bit sore. I hope that's the HRT kicking in and not my imagination!

Aspiring Member
    Update, I'm into my second patch and while there aren't any overt physical signs yet as expected, the mood alteration is amazing. No more depression, no more rage. Calm and content in spite of having to plan separation from my wife. Why on earth did I wait so long? I can't say if the mood improvement is just placebo effect or psychological effect of finally deciding on my future but whatever it is, I'll take it!

On the physical side I do notice more nipple sensitivity and already a decline in libido. I wasn't expecting that so quickly but it is most welcome, it takes the edge off of frustration.

Jean, I'm very happy for you and your emotional, feelings and new sensations. It's great that the health system has made things faster for you .
    I'm happy that you mention and make room for some of the feelings and new sensations could be just a placebo effect.
    I'd tried to be very rational but it's interesting that most of trans people report that deep peace and wellness as a common effect. I'm not sure if it's real chemistry effect or it's just the pass of the rubicon, leaving the closet in a more definitive way, that give us that assurance and peace.
    The breast growth is mainly thanks to spiro or testosterone locker as well the almost disappearance of libido, the other important effect of spirolactone is the increase on pee frequency and for the same the need of more drinking water as well salt in different ways.
    The side effects of estrogen take a bit longer to kick, as the hair body decrease, more hair on head, weak nails, fat redistribution, softness of the skin, muscle mass decrease, etc.
    .for me the main change has been the emotional in many ways, I'm a different person and I get scaried just thinking if the HRT should be interrupted.
    Thanks for keep us posted and keep posting your experiences.

Devi
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

Aspiring Member
    Devi: You mean my nails are going to get weaker than they are now? Oh no!!! I break them so easy. Small price to pay I guess.

I'm lucky I don't have the pee effect of spiro... because I'm not on spiro! Here in Canada, where it is available, my endo prefers Adrocur, especially in my case as my blood pressure tends on the low side. My daughter was on spiro for a while and scared the daylights out us during the 2018 Christmas holidays by passing out walking into the dining room. She has since switched to Androcur as well. One benefit the endo told me about was that my enlarged prostate will shrink. If THAT happens, the broken nails will be worth it!!!

I went to a professional wig shop today and got fitted with a new wig. High-end synthetic, so not cheap but cheaper than natural and easier to maintain. Then I bought some new jeans and pants and was thrilled to discover I had gone down two sizes thanks to losing 25 or so lbs since I bought the previous pair that I had trouble keeping up. Ended the day with a therapist appointment. The next frontier is telling my two sons... after that is done I can tell our friends and go full-time.

Quote Originally Posted by JeanTG View Post
    Devi: You mean my nails are going to get weaker than they are now? Oh no!!! I break them so easy. Small price to pay I guess.

I'm lucky I don't have the pee effect of spiro... because I'm not on spiro! Here in Canada, where it is available, my endo prefers Adrocur, especially in my case as my blood pressure tends on the low side. My daughter was on spiro for a while and scared the daylights out us during the 2018 Christmas holidays by passing out walking into the dining room. She has since switched to Androcur as well. One benefit the endo told me about was that my enlarged prostate will shrink. If THAT happens, the broken nails will be worth it!!!
    Great news!

I resolve the nails problem adding biotin. I got from costco some kind of gummies. After 3 days you can see the difference as well it works in hair and skin.

As you have a daughter trans I think your sons will be more open to accept.
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Devi SM View Post
    I'm not sure if it's real chemistry effect or it's just the pass of the rubicon, leaving the closet in a more definitive way, that give us that assurance and peace.
    I was thinking about this last night and definitely the fact that a decision about something that weighed so heavily on my shoulders for so long, could be part of the feelings of peace.

Update on the HRT, so far I am tolerating the patches very well, no irritation and they stay on. I was a bit worried as some brands of medical tape or band-aids do give me a rash and itchiness. No issues with the patch though. I'm now on my 3d patch since starting.