No, it wasn't a real date but it was the first time two of my old buddies got to meet Sarah.

I go to breakfast with the same guys almost every Wednesday morning and last year when I started coming out to people, I let them know and showed them a photo or two so they didn't have a wild impression of what I look like when I present as female. Over the last several months we have talked about my transgender life but it's always been theory. Yesterday I had intentionally scheduled a regular gender counseling session shortly after we would normally break up after coffee and breakfast. I let the guys know and we picked a place for breakfast where I have been before. I figured it was time and thought I was comfortable with the plan but I didn't sleep well the night before, woke before the alarm and debated over what to wear until it was the last minute and I had to get on the road. I realized I was behaving like it was a first date and I needed to impress them somehow. All this from someone 70 years old!

I got there, met with them and they were the perfect companions. They complimented me, used correct pronouns and even made comfortable jokes that worked to relax each of us. As the meal wound down I noticed that both of them had dressed up just a little more than normal as well. I had to laugh at a bunch of silly old folks testing the waters of the transgender world in ways that are new to them. This morning I woke to find an email from one of them thanking me for opening up to them and feeling comfortable enough to share this side of my life. Then he expressed how frustrating it is that there are people who would threaten someone like me just because of how I present myself from time to time. We have a wonderful ally in that one. I guess I've either been lucky or picked my friends well.

It's still winter here so I ended up with pants and a nice top with a cowl neck instead of a dress or skirt. Maybe the next time I'll be able to show off my legs.